Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I chatted up the CVS lady today. She mentioned that they are just focused on money laundering with regards to the id checks. She said it was good that I kept going to the same store since they recognized me and trusted me. I just said, yep, I'm going to be here a few times a month to by 2k at a time.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
On Sunday I bought 2 VRs for $500 each - she rang them both up and then said "the second one isn't going through, let me have your DL that usually makes it work". She then swiped my DL and the second card rang up. Looks like they kept their IT guys busy.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Stryder88
This is wrong. To think that VRs are a "high value" item is crazy talk. Do you think that CVS would care if you walked out the door with a VR before it was loaded? No because the value is essentially $0.

GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) in the US do not allow companies to gross up their income by artificial means (aka revenue of 503.95 and cost of 500). These items are included net, meaning only the 3.95 fees, are shown on the income statement (internet companies in the good old 2000's tried to gross up their income like this which created the standard).

My guess is that VR (InComm) and CVS split the $3.95 and the credit card company is left with nothing. If something can be coded in the system as non tax why could it not be coded as non credit card charge. Terms and Conditions state you can't purchase cash like items to get points but it seems the credit card companies don't care to enforce this on the "customers (CVS)" systems.

Bottom line is InComm and CVS are making a small profit. InComm probably plays the game because people (not from this community) buy gift cards and don't redeem them. Google gift card redemption rates to be stunned.

Thank you for your insight.
I highly doubt, however, the CC company is "left with nothing".

Last edited by shingu79; Aug 12, 2013 at 5:06 pm
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:59 pm

I think just about every store in DFW has this new upgrade.. I've been to 15 or so over the last week over 3 counties and 10 cities, and every one scans at 1k now.

On the bright side, the manager of the one closest to my house nudged me and told me I could buy 5k at a time if I wanted now - guess I have that store's blessing.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:33 pm

Hard to know exactly what the DL scans will lead to....maybe nothing.
But I've shifted most of my non-VR GC spending to Walgreens, as my local stores still take CCs for those...and don't swipe ID. Maybe more cautious than needed, but it also adds some non-CVS spending to the statement, which can't hurt.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Bean
Hard to know exactly what the DL scans will lead to....maybe nothing.
But I've shifted most of my non-VR GC spending to Walgreens, as my local stores still take CCs for those...and don't swipe ID. Maybe more cautious than needed, but it also adds some non-CVS spending to the statement, which can't hurt.
Variety is the spice of life.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Was eventually expecting it based on the thread, but my double bean purchase required a scan for the first time today at one of my usual stores in the Loop.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:42 pm

If I buy $500+$499 VRs in 1 transaction (less than $1k) - do they scan ID?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog
If I buy $500+$499 VRs in 1 transaction (less than $1k) - do they scan ID?
buy 500 + 490 to be sure
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:56 am

I'm not sure why everyone is so paranoid about the DL swipe, they already track you via your CC (e.g. Target).
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:29 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I'm fine with swiping my ID, if the FBI wants to come hunt me down, I'll just show them my trip reports and upcoming itineraries
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
I'm fine with swiping my ID, if the FBI wants to come hunt me down, I'll just show them my trip reports and upcoming itineraries
they still might interrogate you just to know how you did it
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, US
buying and liquidating vr's is not a crime
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
The Big Cxx will be faster to shut down before the Big Fxx or even the Big Ixx. Only time will tell.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by AveApostle
data point: buying my second pair today at 6 PM CST--at a different store than the first pair of the day (no problems there other than scanned ID)--when the cashier says that now, not only do they have to scan my ID (which I knew) but that CVS now has to call my credit card to verify (which I didn't).

Had to stand there while she did so, loudly broadcasting to the rest of the line my name and address (currently visiting my parents).

If you didn't feel awkward holding up the line before...
...hoping this is just a YMMV?
I had someone do this to me as well. She proactively called to pre-verify the charges. I didn't mind one bit and my very large purchase went through without a hitch.

Originally Posted by Stryder88
This is wrong. To think that VRs are a "high value" item is crazy talk. Do you think that CVS would care if you walked out the door with a VR before it was loaded? No because the value is essentially $0.

GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) in the US do not allow companies to gross up their income by artificial means (aka revenue of 503.95 and cost of 500). These items are included net, meaning only the 3.95 fees, are shown on the income statement (internet companies in the good old 2000's tried to gross up their income like this which created the standard).

My guess is that VR (InComm) and CVS split the $3.95 and the credit card company is left with nothing. If something can be coded in the system as non tax why could it not be coded as non credit card charge. Terms and Conditions state you can't purchase cash like items to get points but it seems the credit card companies don't care to enforce this on the "customers (CVS)" systems.

Bottom line is InComm and CVS are making a small profit. InComm probably plays the game because people (not from this community) buy gift cards and don't redeem them. Google gift card redemption rates to be stunned.
Sounds right to me, although I do think that the CC company is coming away with something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.