Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:56 pm

New event- I was not allowed to buy a one vanilla card for $500. I was told that the managers received an email today capping them at $200 with a CC bc of the target credit card fraud. He then agreed to accept my ID and do it regardless, but he claimed that the register would not let him, that it was hard coded. Anyone else have this experience today?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:41 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by brettskyg
New event- I was not allowed to buy a one vanilla card for $500. I was told that the managers received an email today capping them at $200 with a CC bc of the target credit card fraud. He then agreed to accept my ID and do it regardless, but he claimed that the register would not let him, that it was hard coded. Anyone else have this experience today?
If this is true, it will completely throw my point earning calculation with VR's out of the window.. Hope it's just another of those random rules at another random CVS.. I am off VR's for the next few weeks so won't be able to confirm.. but I am tempted to go to a CVS just for the heck of it and try it out..
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I've been buying them consistently. Plus, if they check the ID, there isn't an issue. I believe that stolen credit card numbers are more useful online, anyway. I guess there are people out there that know how to make fake cards, though.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:36 pm

Made my first ever beans purchase today. They had 25 or so hanging up and I grabbed 10. The cashier said I could only do $2500 and cash only. I asked her if she was sure and she said yes but called the store manager. SM went and looked at a policy sheet on the wall and said I could do 5K with CC. He said he would try one first and make sure it worked and of course it did. I already had my DL out for the 2nd transaction for $4.5K and he said "you've done this before haven't you?". I told him no I just knew any transaction over $1k would require DL. He processed the remaining beans and I was out in no time. Already loaded $1K to my BB acct.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
If it's any consolation, I made a 500 + 499 purchase late last night at a store in the PHL area. The transaction didn't go through at first ("select alternate form of payment") but thanks to the info I gleaned on this forum, I knew it was probably a fraud alert for my very new Citi card rather than some cash-only CVS policy. I called Citi, immediately connected to their early fraud dept., answered some questions, and the second attempt went through. The CVS (manager, I think) looked at (but did not scan) my DL. I was pleased with my purchase.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Speak for yourself, the "lingo" was made up because someone thought it was better then just saying CVS.. It was childish and stupid.
What are U rambling? read, understand take a deep breath before start typing in hurry like a 'child and sound stupid!'
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Really... You surely haven't read this thread...
Oh stop it.

I am not that new to this thread, read most of it, but I do have a ton of experience working retail, from sales to management, and the supporting them, when I was a regional marketing rep for office supplies and big box stores and warehouses with Hewlett Packard.

You guys have no clue how some stuff goes.

Trying to isolate the severity of it, being if it is just one store, or local sectional to stores within a certain area, as in it got attention of area managers, or it goes to regional, where it can be a short hop up to corporate nationwide.

For guys who are so concerned with keeping a good thing going, you need to stay vigilant.

Yes a lot of managers may give you a BS excuse, but..... In a lot of cases it can be a sign of what is to come.

So stop being so grumpy.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by maksimfa
Oh stop it.

I am not that new to this thread, read most of it, but I do have a ton of experience working retail, from sales to management, and the supporting them, when I was a regional marketing rep for office supplies and big box stores and warehouses with Hewlett Packard.

Trying to isolate the severity of it, being if it is just one store, or local sectional to stores within a certain area, as in it got attention of area managers, or it goes to regional, where it can be a short hop up to corporate nationwide.

For guys who are so concerned with keeping a good thing going, you need to stay vigilant.

Yes a lot of managers may give you a BS excuse, but..... In a lot of cases it can be a sign of what is to come.

So stop being so grumpy.
No one is being grumpy, but if we respond to every event of some store refusing to take CC's and thinking that it is going to jump from local to regional to national response we will all get grumpy easily. Even if we stay vigilant how would we stop this from happening, they make the rules, if they want to end this tomorrow--they will. In the meantime enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:42 pm

Nope. Hopefully it is just that one store that got the email.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1K, WN CP, Marriott Gold
Stores say whatever they wanna say, ie there was no "email." I bought 9 OV today without a problem
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JRV62
No one is being grumpy, but if we respond to every event of some store refusing to take CC's and thinking that it is going to jump from local to regional to national response we will all get grumpy easily. Even if we stay vigilant how would we stop this from happening, they make the rules, if they want to end this tomorrow--they will. In the meantime enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Well, the grumpy part was the 2 quick responses about reading the entire thread. Jumping very quickly to conclusions.

The reality is... a lot of it is just fluff at the store levels, however that does not mean we should be not looking at it either. Ie, getting a feel in what areas it is, etc.

Maybe it means nothing to everyone else, but particularly because I was in that business, and still have people who I know in that retail space, it is always interesting, and I can likely get confirmation or denial of those reports.

However in any case, in my area, I did not have any issues, as recently as today.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by prasha11
What are U rambling? read, understand take a deep breath before start typing in hurry like a 'child and sound stupid!'
I'm not the one who is acting like a child with speical lingo....
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Oh stop it.

So stop being so grumpy.
Oh you stop it...

First off, I average 30K worth of beans a month, and to hear a store clerk say, we have a new policy from Corprate that wont allow Beans to be purchased with a CC... blah blah blah, I than drive down the same street 6 miles and purchased 5K worth from my go to store without a problem... The following day went to my next go to store, purchased another 5K without a problem... It's not a corprate policy but a manager policy, and CVS is will known in allowing it's managers to change certain policies at a whim..

I have enough experience with CVS and spoken to enough managers to know how things work. When I have a manager or clerk ask me about the VR's I'm honest and tell them about the mileage game.

BTW, not grumpy, just tired of the same questions being asked over and over again....
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Well, the grumpy part was the 2 quick responses about reading the entire thread. Jumping very quickly to conclusions.

The reality is... a lot of it is just fluff at the store levels, however that does not mean we should be not looking at it either. Ie, getting a feel in what areas it is, etc.
It's easy to jump to conclusion when people make the same comments and the regulars answer the same questions, this means people aren't reading the WHOLE thread...

Also if people read the WHOLE thread they would be able to see how this game is unfolding and how to go about with thier business and not get caught up in the lies that clerks tell sometimes.

When I posted my experience, I did for future reference as I knew it was BS from the clerk.. I'm sure I could have talked the clerk into giving it a try if they weren't busy but knew I could buy my daily alottment of beans down the street....
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Oh you stop it...

First off, I average 30K worth of beans a month, and to hear a store clerk say, we have a new policy from Corprate that wont allow Beans to be purchased with a CC... blah blah blah, I than drive down the same street 6 miles and purchased 5K worth from my go to store without a problem... The following day went to my next go to store, purchased another 5K without a problem... It's not a corprate policy but a manager policy, and CVS is will known in allowing it's managers to change certain policies at a whim..

I have enough experience with CVS and spoken to enough managers to know how things work. When I have a manager or clerk ask me about the VR's I'm honest and tell them about the mileage game.

BTW, not grumpy, just tired of the same questions being asked over and over again....
only $30k VR a month? (why havent you begun "renting" BBs from friends and family? You should be able to at least triple this figure no problem.

What I am beginning to do is post here less (and thus cause less rifts between fellow fters) and be out on the road doing MORE MS instead!

This kind of crap makes me blood boil. The target fraud? Oh come on! I could see it now if it were to be said to me by a mrg:

Well um sir we cant sell you these.

Wait, I have been coming in here every other day for the past 5 months buying $1-5k of these and you already know my wife and I and our two kids have lived 2 miles from this store for the past 8 years because you have seen them with me and we even get our prescriptions here.

Why now? What makes me a focus of some scam that happened at another retail chain today? Is today the day I'm finally going to screw you over?

then I pick up my cell phone and say, Let's call the local police and have them come down here and watch as we run this darn transaction sir. I have places to be and you are slowing my business needs down!

(and as a friend of mine mentioned... Again, if they were really concerned about the fraud, they would have 1. Done it a hell of a lot sooner than this 2. Not sell the GC AT ALL to a CC--to anyone ever... and not even have the darn things for sale on the racks!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.