Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Conrad London St. James went from 32,000 + £116 to 32,000 + £307.68!

Not happy. I had it booked fully on points and wanted to change it to P&M. I tried to change it the day the change was announced (back in Jan) but before it was implemented but they had removed all P&M options. I called in and was told they had suspended P&M bookings until the new rates were in place so they would not allow me to book the 32k + £116 even though I was fully 1 month+ before the changes, and still 9 months prior to my stay. Poor service all around.
That is not right. You should have been able to book it at the old rates, right up until the day of the changeover. No "suspended" period.

Every one of my upcoming P&M upcoming stays (booked months ago) are so much higher now it is ridiculous. I'm willing to forego the points on the cash part and pocket the savings.

Oh, and don't forget Lauren kept telling us "these are changes we all asked for" - WHO asked for these changes, Lauren, you still haven't answered that, it certainly was not anyone here on FT. As bad as the changes are in most cases, it is even more insulting that it was couched as something wonderful for all of us. Yeah, we were all clamoring to pay more!
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
That is not right. You should have been able to book it at the old rates, right up until the day of the changeover. No "suspended" period.

Every one of my upcoming P&M upcoming stays (booked months ago) are so much higher now it is ridiculous. I'm willing to forego the points on the cash part and pocket the savings.

Oh, and don't forget Lauren kept telling us "these are changes we all asked for" - WHO asked for these changes, Lauren, you still haven't answered that, it certainly was not anyone here on FT. As bad as the changes are in most cases, it is even more insulting that it was couched as something wonderful for all of us. Yeah, we were all clamoring to pay more!
That my friend is absolutely spot on!......Lauren - whilst we respect the hard work you do it's very clear that this is a very unwelcome addition to the honors program, I'm sure I'm not alone in asking for your comments on this, many of us feel very cheated!.....personally I used to rely on P&M very heavily and now it's stupidly expensive.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

I have a transcript of my chat (I chatted first and then called in) where she said the hotel was not offering P&M at that point. I said I had a points booking and just wanted to change it to P&M (which I had had previously) and she said I had to wait until after the changes took effect to book P&M.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:53 pm

I have a transcript of my chat (I chatted first and then called in) where she said the hotel was not offering P&M at that point. I said I had a points booking and just wanted to change it to P&M (which I had had previously) and she said I had to wait until after the changes took effect to book P&M.
If the date was before the date of the switchover, then I still call foul...you are given a DATE for a reason, so you can make the changes you want before that time.

Jeez, between AS and HH they seem out to get us, FF.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Before the new slider P + M was mentioned to us all i thought something strange was going on back in November 2016

Many Conrad and Hilton hotels that had almost continuous availability of points and money throughout the whole of 2016 suddenly stopped being available the end of last year and was only available for cash or full points redemptions.

I strongly believe many hotels suspended the old points and money option towards the end of 2016 because they was aware the slider system was being implemented in March.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Well, poo.

I was was sitting on 1.2MM points a few weeks ago, and had literally told my wife "Hilton is practically firehosing points at folks lately (2k every day, that last good promo, app booking points, etc.) so I think they're due for a devalue."

I have never ever felt so bad to be right.

This week, I had a few reservations in Spain that were around 30k to 40k. Nice exec type Hiltons, not Hamptons, etc. I wound up having to cancel them due to a flight snafu, and wound up in Puerto Vallarta instead. 70,000 point rooms there (yes, I know an all-inclusive isn't apples-to-apples, but a Hilton PV rate used to be 50,000.)

My little jaunt to Mexico as an American was an excellent reflection / analogy of how Hilton Pesos are now valued.

Ive got to go to Vegas this week and the darn *Tropicana* is 50k!

I guess i rode rode out the last big deval with a million in the bank and cried then, too.

The too-late lesson I'm only starting to learn: don't bank your points for your future plans. Use them.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant

This week, I had a few reservations in Spain that were around 30k to 40k. Nice exec type Hiltons, not Hamptons, etc. I wound up having to cancel them due to a flight snafu, and wound up in Puerto Vallarta instead. 70,000 point rooms there (yes, I know an all-inclusive isn't apples-to-apples, but a Hilton PV rate used to be 50,000.)
I was just looking at potential dates for an October trip to Puerto Vallarta, and the Hilton is an absolute steal for an All Inclusive at 39,000 points a night. It was 60,000/night on our last trip in October a couple years back - same nightly rate.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by wizla
Lauren - whilst we respect the hard work you do it's very clear that this is a very unwelcome addition to the honors program, I'm sure I'm not alone in asking for your comments on this
If you're representing your company in social media, you don't get to go "well, I think my bosses are idiots and I am totally taking your side" unless you want to experience unemployment. You're going to get corporate boilerplate as commentary.

I'm at a complete loss as to what the point is at getting Hilton's social media representative to comment on your dissatisfaction is supposed to achieve. Perhaps venting your displeasure will make the point and get a change, though that's a function of what YOU have to say, not HER.

What large corporations understand is losing business. And, not to put too fine a point on it, but anyone who's been around for more than five minutes knows that Hilton has a long, long record of not particularly caring about their redemption value proposition:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....eir-customers/

Despite the routine devaluations, Hilton's doing quite nicely. If their value proposition doesn't work for you any more, walking out the door to hotels.com and cashback portals is a fine way to go. 15-20% back, easy (which is around what I shoot for from Hilton).

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
The too-late lesson I'm only starting to learn: don't bank your points for your future plans. Use them.
40k here.

All told the cash + money loses some value, but there's other places where I see it (I travel to places like BKK or PHX during slow seasons, so outright points redemptions are not terrible values there. A rate of >.5 cpp is achievable, plus I go places where taxes + fees really ding you). I could walk to hotels.com pretty easily, though, and not be chained to the next Hilton devaluation.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If you're representing your company in social media, you don't get to go "well, I think my bosses are idiots and I am totally taking your side" unless you want to experience unemployment. You're going to get corporate boilerplate as commentary.

I'm at a complete loss as to what the point is at getting Hilton's social media representative to comment on your dissatisfaction is supposed to achieve. Perhaps venting your displeasure will make the point and get a change, though that's a function of what YOU have to say, not HER.

What large corporations understand is losing business. And, not to put too fine a point on it, but anyone who's been around for more than five minutes knows that Hilton has a long, long record of not particularly caring about their redemption value proposition:

Despite the routine devaluations, Hilton's doing quite nicely. If their value proposition doesn't work for you any more, walking out the door to hotels.com and cashback portals is a fine way to go. 15-20% back, easy (which is around what I shoot for from Hilton).

40k here.

All told the cash + money loses some value, but there's other places where I see it (I travel to places like BKK or PHX during slow seasons, so outright points redemptions are not terrible values there. A rate of >.5 cpp is achievable, plus I go places where taxes + fees really ding you). I could walk to hotels.com pretty easily, though, and not be chained to the next Hilton devaluation.
The prior redemptions until this "enhancement" I thought were fair. What I object to is telling us what a great deal, that we asked for, is this new incarnation.

The newer earnings of points is great...2,000 per night, or double...but then when the left hand takes away from the right with much higher redemptions, well, then it's not so much.

Stopping the redemption BEFORE the stated date was just dirty. The Starwood/Marriott raise in points was clearly stated as happening on March 7 (yesterday)...you had up until the 6th to lock in redemptions at the current levels, you knew which hotels were going up, and which were going down, so you could plan accordingly.

I think Hilton was very sneaky in what they did to a lot of people. I'm sorry Lauren is the fall guy, but that's the job she signed up for.

I, personally, am OK...I've got the res I want for cash, I've got those I want for points, and I've got those I want for C&P. I'm not changing one single reservation based on the new order. I feel sorry for those who were screwed at the last minute by a change in dates/policy.

And yes, Lauren was I'm sure told to sell it as fantastically wonderful, but for the most part it's far from. I do feel sorry for her.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
If the date was before the date of the switchover, then I still call foul...you are given a DATE for a reason, so you can make the changes you want before that time.

Jeez, between AS and HH they seem out to get us, FF.
Yup
Originally Posted by PaulH1
Before the new slider P + M was mentioned to us all i thought something strange was going on back in November 2016

Many Conrad and Hilton hotels that had almost continuous availability of points and money throughout the whole of 2016 suddenly stopped being available the end of last year and was only available for cash or full points redemptions.

I strongly believe many hotels suspended the old points and money option towards the end of 2016 because they was aware the slider system was being implemented in March.
And yup. The Conrad London St. James was definitely one of these. I had booked P&M in October but changed it to a full points booking shortly thereafter. The day Lauren announced the changes, I went online to change it back and lo, there was not a single P&M rate to be had for any date. So I opened a chat with HH and that was when they told me there were no P&M bookings available until after the change. So yes, they were playing fast and loose with the rules. I am annoyed as I would rather have had the 32k and £116 but they refused to let me book it. And this was on Feb 2, immediately after I posted here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27857579-post162.html.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Yeah thanks for pointing that out, but you gotta agree it would be interesting to know who these so called folk that have been voting for these great changes , certainly nobody on flyer talk from what I read........that said, you do have a point with the corporate boilerplate comment.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 8, 2017 at 8:24 pm Reason: Fixed quote formatting.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:17 am

The P&M was always in a minority of hotels anyway. It'll be no different than if you saw a rate that went up, and you wanted to get the old rate. Just because something is offered today doesn't mean it'll be offered tomorrow.

I'd be way more upset if I opted to pay cash for the room, then wanted to switch it to P&M.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
The P&M was always in a minority of hotels anyway. It'll be no different than if you saw a rate that went up, and you wanted to get the old rate. Just because something is offered today doesn't mean it'll be offered tomorrow.

I'd be way more upset if I opted to pay cash for the room, then wanted to switch it to P&M.
P&M was offered right up to the day the changes were announced. I had planned to make the switch a couple of days earlier but didn't think there was any rush. Then I saw the announcement and figured I better do it but from that day onward, there was no way to book P&M. When I asked, I was told that hotel had pulled P&M until the changes came into effect. It then became bookable again after the implementation date but at 2.5 times the cash price as it was before the changes.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:39 am

P&M was offered right up to the day the changes were announced. I had planned to make the switch a couple of days earlier but didn't think there was any rush. Then I saw the announcement and figured I better do it but from that day onward, there was no way to book P&M. When I asked, I was told that hotel had pulled P&M until the changes came into effect. It then became bookable again after the implementation date but at 2.5 times the cash price as it was before the changes.
With the old system the hotels were allowed to pick and choose if/when they activated availability on P&C nights so unfortunately in the eyes of Hilton they have done nothing wrong.

With the announcement of the changes they have obviously looked at it and seen that they are going to make more from the changes and excercised their right to not offer P&C at that time.

From a business point of view I can't say I blame them. From a customer perspective it's pants but in terms of what they have to do as per franchise contract they have done nothing wrong.

Given the reports re lounge etc at Conrad LSJ and this it doesn't sound like it's performing any better under the Conrad banner than when it was an Intercontinental. For the location and the property I don't think the rates are where they should be, particularly when looking at other properties in close proximity. Therefore it doesn't surprise me that they pulled them when seeing they could make more.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I booked same-day P&M on 2/20 for a Hilton hotel, so this certainly wasn't universal from all hotels...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.