FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:55 pm
Eujeanie

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If you're representing your company in social media, you don't get to go "well, I think my bosses are idiots and I am totally taking your side" unless you want to experience unemployment. You're going to get corporate boilerplate as commentary.

I'm at a complete loss as to what the point is at getting Hilton's social media representative to comment on your dissatisfaction is supposed to achieve. Perhaps venting your displeasure will make the point and get a change, though that's a function of what YOU have to say, not HER.

What large corporations understand is losing business. And, not to put too fine a point on it, but anyone who's been around for more than five minutes knows that Hilton has a long, long record of not particularly caring about their redemption value proposition:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....eir-customers/

Despite the routine devaluations, Hilton's doing quite nicely. If their value proposition doesn't work for you any more, walking out the door to hotels.com and cashback portals is a fine way to go. 15-20% back, easy (which is around what I shoot for from Hilton).

40k here.

All told the cash + money loses some value, but there's other places where I see it (I travel to places like BKK or PHX during slow seasons, so outright points redemptions are not terrible values there. A rate of >.5 cpp is achievable, plus I go places where taxes + fees really ding you). I could walk to hotels.com pretty easily, though, and not be chained to the next Hilton devaluation.
The prior redemptions until this "enhancement" I thought were fair. What I object to is telling us what a great deal, that we asked for, is this new incarnation.

The newer earnings of points is great...2,000 per night, or double...but then when the left hand takes away from the right with much higher redemptions, well, then it's not so much.

Stopping the redemption BEFORE the stated date was just dirty. The Starwood/Marriott raise in points was clearly stated as happening on March 7 (yesterday)...you had up until the 6th to lock in redemptions at the current levels, you knew which hotels were going up, and which were going down, so you could plan accordingly.

I think Hilton was very sneaky in what they did to a lot of people. I'm sorry Lauren is the fall guy, but that's the job she signed up for.

I, personally, am OK...I've got the res I want for cash, I've got those I want for points, and I've got those I want for C&P. I'm not changing one single reservation based on the new order. I feel sorry for those who were screwed at the last minute by a change in dates/policy.

And yes, Lauren was I'm sure told to sell it as fantastically wonderful, but for the most part it's far from. I do feel sorry for her.