FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:24 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by wizla
Lauren - whilst we respect the hard work you do it's very clear that this is a very unwelcome addition to the honors program, I'm sure I'm not alone in asking for your comments on this
If you're representing your company in social media, you don't get to go "well, I think my bosses are idiots and I am totally taking your side" unless you want to experience unemployment. You're going to get corporate boilerplate as commentary.

I'm at a complete loss as to what the point is at getting Hilton's social media representative to comment on your dissatisfaction is supposed to achieve. Perhaps venting your displeasure will make the point and get a change, though that's a function of what YOU have to say, not HER.

What large corporations understand is losing business. And, not to put too fine a point on it, but anyone who's been around for more than five minutes knows that Hilton has a long, long record of not particularly caring about their redemption value proposition:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....eir-customers/

Despite the routine devaluations, Hilton's doing quite nicely. If their value proposition doesn't work for you any more, walking out the door to hotels.com and cashback portals is a fine way to go. 15-20% back, easy (which is around what I shoot for from Hilton).

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
The too-late lesson I'm only starting to learn: don't bank your points for your future plans. Use them.
40k here.

All told the cash + money loses some value, but there's other places where I see it (I travel to places like BKK or PHX during slow seasons, so outright points redemptions are not terrible values there. A rate of >.5 cpp is achievable, plus I go places where taxes + fees really ding you). I could walk to hotels.com pretty easily, though, and not be chained to the next Hilton devaluation.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm