Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2023, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
What is "5-4-4 redemption"?
I’d guess, book 5 nights, pay for 4.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’d guess, book 5 nights, pay for 4.
I've always just called it 5th night free. But whatever works.
Xyzzy, zombietooth and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Is there any way to see if the total points required for a property is lower when you don't have enough points to redeem? I used all my points for an upcoming redemption but saw cash rates are now lower. I guessed that the total points for the 5 nights is also lower, yet I am not allowed to see the total points required (Hilton now only shows me cash and points). I even tried to modify the reservation and the same thing occurred. I took the chance and cancelled the points reservation and then I saw the total points required for redemption did drop by 14,000 points. So I booked the new points reservation. Is this the only way to do it? It's risky (as once I cancel I lose the room and may not get it back again, depending on occupancy levels). Any tricks here to see if less total points are avail for previously booked award stays?
I create an alert on staywithpoints.com . If I booked using X points per night (ignoring 5th night free) , I set an alert for X-1000 points.

Also on Android app it shows me total points needed when making a reservation.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 8:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Simply don't sign into your account. When you're in your account, it "knows" how many points you have. If you look without signing in it will tell you what all the points rates are.
My recollection is that the web site will say something like "first night 60,000 points" but will not give any indication if that amount varies for subsequent nights. Certainly I have looked at points redemptions while not signed in and have run into some roadblock that prevented me from seeing the total number of points required for a multi-night stay. Is there some step I'm missing?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Originally Posted by serpens
My recollection is that the web site will say something like "first night 60,000 points" but will not give any indication if that amount varies for subsequent nights. Certainly I have looked at points redemptions while not signed in and have run into some roadblock that prevented me from seeing the total number of points required for a multi-night stay. Is there some step I'm missing?
That's the behaviour when logged in. When logged out it says XXX points / night which is the average per night for the whole stay (not applying 5th night free of course).

So you multiply that with the number of nights. substracting 1 for every 5th night.
Or just use the mobile app and click the (i) on the left of the standard reward rate
Old Aug 13, 2023, 10:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ovacikar
That's the behaviour when logged in. When logged out it says XXX points / night which is the average per night for the whole stay (not applying 5th night free of course).
[...]
I just checked the Amsterdam Doubletree Centraal Station while not logged in, and the behavior was closer to what I was trying to say originally than what I understand you to be saying.

On the initial results page, where many properties are listed, it says "60,000* points for the first night". On the hotel page, for standard room award, it says 60,000 per night (with no asterisk), but for all other rooms, it gives a point requirement for the first night (with an asterisk). Since an asterisk normally indicates a change during the stay, that seems to be a contradiction between the pages, but the point is that every rate with an asterisk says for the first night. Again, not logged in.

Last edited by serpens; Aug 13, 2023 at 10:41 am
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post # 1650)
What is "5-4-4 redemption"?
The abbreviation saves two characters instead of typing a "5 for 4 redemption".
Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The abbreviation saves two characters instead of typing a "5 for 4 redemption".
And costs way more than two letters as people ask for and receive clarification. Sigh.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and Sisosig like this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Simply don't sign into your account. When you're in your account, it "knows" how many points you have. If you look without signing in it will tell you what all the points rates are.
Cool. I found another way as well. Just use the app when looking at point redemptions (not website) and then click on the paid room rate... and then click the exclamation point next to the points required for the stay (not the cash booking link). It'll show you the total points required.

On another note, just redeemed for my best value ever using Hilton points. 1.56 cents per using the 5th night free. It's during a special event, so cash prices in the area are incredibly high but since I'm going to the event - it saved me oodles. Finally Hilton paying some dividends!
SPN Lifer and zombietooth like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.