Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrism20
With the old system the hotels were allowed to pick and choose if/when they activated availability on P&C nights so unfortunately in the eyes of Hilton they have done nothing wrong.

With the announcement of the changes they have obviously looked at it and seen that they are going to make more from the changes and excercised their right to not offer P&C at that time.

From a business point of view I can't say I blame them. From a customer perspective it's pants but in terms of what they have to do as per franchise contract they have done nothing wrong.
Exactly. The old version was a backdoor way of selling discounted rooms without seeming to. Since the new version is so transparent as to the underlying value of Honors points, they would not want to continue to use P & C for that purpose. I expect Priceline and Hotwire to soon get greater room inventory from Hilton-branded properties.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amanuensis
Exactly. The old version was a backdoor way of selling discounted rooms without seeming to. Since the new version is so transparent as to the underlying value of Honors points, they would not want to continue to use P & C for that purpose. I expect Priceline and Hotwire to soon get greater room inventory from Hilton-branded properties.
This.

Would be interesting to see how this thing plays out in the next 6 months - it may not turn into something what the management of Hilton Corp has hoped for.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
I tried to do a spreadsheet to figure out what our credit card spend (i used $38K per year) would get us with this new devaluation. Generally, I think HH is giving poorer value than before and poorer value than the competition, but this depends on the city. Our annual spend is small, but this should be scale-able.

So for our spend (taking bonus categories into account) we would get 40,500 Starwood points (=121,500 Marriott points using the SPG Amex) or 54,000 Hyatt points (Chase) or 149,500 Hilton points (we have the Citi reserve).

For that earn, I looked at burn in five cities--Seattle, Chicago, Berlin, Bangkok and Sydney. In general Hilton only came out ahead in Bangkok in terms of value. Berlin was more or less even for all the chains. And for the other cities Hilton definitely came up short in terms of number of nights for the points.

For example, in Bangkok, I could redeem my credit card spend for three nights at the Grand Hyatt, four nights at the W or five nights at the Hilton (six in some months). So I think HH comes out ahead here.

For Berlin it was 3 nights at the Grand Hyatt, four nights at the Westin, or three nights at the Hilton (or the Waldorf Astoria in low season). To me this is more or less even.

For downtown Chicago, I could get three nights at the Hyatt Regency or four nights at the Hyatt Place, three nights at the Aloft or four nights at the Tremont (both SPG) or two nights at any Hilton family property.

For Sydney I could get two nights at the Hyatt Regency, three nights at the Westin or either one or two nights at the Hilton, depending on the season (I looked at a June weekend and an October midweek).

And for Seattle, I could get three nights at the Grand Hyatt (or four nights at the Hyatt Place), three nights at the W or four nights at the FourPoints, or two nights at the Hilton, DoubleTree or HGI.

To be fair, since I had low spend, all properties had points left over at various times that with a higher spend might not be as much of a factor. I also did not include the annual free night (category four or less) at Hyatt or the annual free weekend night at Hilton for credit card spend of $10K, so that could add one more night to each chain, depending on several factors (Hyatt's cert, for example, couldn't be used at all in Sydney because the lowest category hotel there is a category five).

All in all, this is just one analysis for one spending pattern for two time periods for five cities, so it's certainly not the definitive analysis. But I do think that generally speaking, this devaluation doesn't work to make Hilton more competitive. In fact, I would argue that it makes them less competitive in most cities, especially ones where the cost of hotels is higher.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are making it way too complicated.

All the pages of discussion basically miss the very basic point - Honors has gone REVENUE-BASED program. And Hilton has assigned a fixed value range to their points, that the required points are directly tied to the room rates of the dates you want. It is just like how Southwest or JetBlue program works.

Just use the simple rule - the HH pts are now worth between $0.004 to $0.0055 in 95% of the case. The remaining 5% would be either an extremely poor below $0.004 value or a rare case above $0.007 value (happened to our upcoming stays in Poland at airport Hampton and HGI).

Gone are the days when one could get value close to $0.007 or above.

So use this as your yard stick on how much intrinsic "value" you would earn by your spend on the targeted cards then decide whether it is worth it or not to cumulate Hilton points.

For the majority of folks I would venture to say, it no longer makes any sense to purposely acquire Honors points because the intrinsic value is now at a very low $0.004 to $0.0055 range. This makes it even worse than IHG pts which traditionally has a low value but yet the chance of finding double of that in IHG program is now bigger especially in some European locations due to IHG still on a fixed point level chart.

Once the points have an assigned value by the program, almost all the arbitrage value is wiped out. It is just as simple as that. But we have to give it to Hilton to masquerade this as a big "enhancement" to now let you freely choose how many points to use....
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I'm thinking that this "enhancement" will have me only using points in some 5th night free situations. Can burn through points and possibly salvage some value. I'll also keep my Surpass for awhile to keep the free breakfast at HGI's, where I stay frequently.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
One other stealthy part of this devaluation: room types that were part of the Diamond Standard Award category are now gone.

Prior to March 1, I held a reservation for 2 nights at a Homewood Suites in a 1-bedroom suite. It was listed as "DIA STANDARD AWARD", 60,000 points per night.

Today, I changed that particular award from 2 nights to 5 nights. The 1-bedroom suite is still available, but is 106,000 points per night. The Studio Suite is 48,000 points per night (e.g., 5th night free).

Not a huge complaint for this particular award, as the square footage of studio vs. 1-bedroom at Homewoods isn't really worth losing sleep over. But it's disappointing to see that go: there have been many cases in the past where I've booked the "DIA" room, one category above a base room, as basic assurance of something like a high floor, good view, etc. I found that helpful in this no-upgrade environment these days...
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
One other stealthy part of this devaluation: room types that were part of the Diamond Standard Award category are now gone.

Prior to March 1, I held a reservation for 2 nights at a Homewood Suites in a 1-bedroom suite. It was listed as "DIA STANDARD AWARD", 60,000 points per night.

Today, I changed that particular award from 2 nights to 5 nights. The 1-bedroom suite is still available, but is 106,000 points per night. The Studio Suite is 48,000 points per night (e.g., 5th night free).

Not a huge complaint for this particular award, as the square footage of studio vs. 1-bedroom at Homewoods isn't really worth losing sleep over. But it's disappointing to see that go: there have been many cases in the past where I've booked the "DIA" room, one category above a base room, as basic assurance of something like a high floor, good view, etc. I found that helpful in this no-upgrade environment these days...
It may have been the hotel adjusting the suite category. I've seen quite a few Homewood Suites classify either the full king suite or the 2 bed suites as "premium rewards", while just the studio suite is labelled standard. This has been happening for years, so can't really blame the new system for that. While it's only a small percentage doing it; it does make you wonder if all will follow soon enough.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You are making it way too complicated.

All the pages of discussion basically miss the very basic point - Honors has gone REVENUE-BASED program. And Hilton has assigned a fixed value range to their points, that the required points are directly tied to the room rates of the dates you want. It is just like how Southwest or JetBlue program works.

Just use the simple rule - the HH pts are now worth between $0.004 to $0.0055 in 95% of the case. The remaining 5% would be either an extremely poor below $0.004 value or a rare case above $0.007 value (happened to our upcoming stays in Poland at airport Hampton and HGI).

Gone are the days when one could get value close to $0.007 or above.

So use this as your yard stick on how much intrinsic "value" you would earn by your spend on the targeted cards then decide whether it is worth it or not to cumulate Hilton points.

For the majority of folks I would venture to say, it no longer makes any sense to purposely acquire Honors points because the intrinsic value is now at a very low $0.004 to $0.0055 range. This makes it even worse than IHG pts which traditionally has a low value but yet the chance of finding double of that in IHG program is now bigger especially in some European locations due to IHG still on a fixed point level chart.

Once the points have an assigned value by the program, almost all the arbitrage value is wiped out. It is just as simple as that. But we have to give it to Hilton to masquerade this as a big "enhancement" to now let you freely choose how many points to use....
I'm getting .0077 next week, but its because the rates are +$300 at Hampton Inn because of NCAA basketball tournament.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
So we're looking at "good value" for HH points only when the cash rate is so high that the new (seemingly higher) level of max points is still over 1/2 a cent a point. And by "seemingly higher," I'm thinking, for example, of NYC where most of the Hampton and HGI, etc. hotels went up from 60,000 max to 70,000 max after the new system was implemented.

And most of us expect this to go away eventually based on the wording of the new program ("currently no more than....") And then it will be simply transactional--1/2 cent per point for standard rooms and somewhere around 1/3 or 2/5 of a cent per point for premium rooms? Going forward this will be the new norm and there will not be any bargains to find, just a flat redemption rate (which will [or may] vary based on whether we're redeeming for standard rooms or premium rooms).
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
It may have been the hotel adjusting the suite category. I've seen quite a few Homewood Suites classify either the full king suite or the 2 bed suites as "premium rewards", while just the studio suite is labelled standard. This has been happening for years, so can't really blame the new system for that. While it's only a small percentage doing it; it does make you wonder if all will follow soon enough.
In this case, the award was a standard award in February; premium award now. This was a March 1st change for sure.

Originally Posted by prushing
I'm getting .0077 next week, but its because the rates are +$300 at Hampton Inn because of NCAA basketball tournament.
That's about where I am as well...mainly because this Homewood (even a studio) is $380/nt with taxes. (48k points/night) Comparable properties across all brands are similar, and with 4 people I can't exactly gamble on Priceline. Still a good spot for points, although the future will probably have fewer and fewer sweet spots as hotels raise their maximum points rates to cover their high-season rates at 0.5 cpp or so.

Then, the entire HH value prop will be hitting big promos and using the CC just enough to lock up Diamond. This program will eventually be like IHG with its inflation and promos-upon-promos to keep people coming back. Well, minus the IHG pointstretchers, which are often exceptional value.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
So we're looking at "good value" for HH points only when the cash rate is so high that the new (seemingly higher) level of max points is still over 1/2 a cent a point. And by "seemingly higher," I'm thinking, for example, of NYC where most of the Hampton and HGI, etc. hotels went up from 60,000 max to 70,000 max after the new system was implemented.

And most of us expect this to go away eventually based on the wording of the new program ("currently no more than....") And then it will be simply transactional--1/2 cent per point for standard rooms and somewhere around 1/3 or 2/5 of a cent per point for premium rooms? Going forward this will be the new norm and there will not be any bargains to find, just a flat redemption rate (which will [or may] vary based on whether we're redeeming for standard rooms or premium rooms).
That does seem to be where things are headed. I suspect that the points game will shift completely to the acquisition side of the ledger.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by amanuensis
That does seem to be where things are headed. I suspect that the points game will shift completely to the acquisition side of the ledger.
Perhaps, Hilton will increase or improve benefits for elites since Hilton points will not be worth so much? Or, is that unlikely?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Perhaps, Hilton will increase or improve benefits for elites since Hilton points will not be worth so much? Or, is that unlikely?
Not while Blackstone controls Hilton.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prushing
Actually we do too only because the Hampton / HGI by the airports in Poland are 10K properties while the cash rates are in $75 to $100. We actually need those due to our flights arrive at 10:30pm.

Though I suspect such high value redemption would be very rare with the norm being at $0.004 to $0.0055 most of the time.

Those who saw the point level dropped were missing an important point - the point levels in the past in those scenarios were so high and cash rates so low, nobody would use points but rather use cash booking. Now the same cash bookings can be "paid" with points at the fixed range of the value.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
That is a bigger devaluation than it seems. Removing all the "one bedroom" rooms really shrinks the pool of rooms available for standard rewards. Getting a reward at a Homewood may become pretty expensive.

Originally Posted by pinniped

Then, the entire HH value prop will be hitting big promos and using the CC just enough to lock up Diamond. This program will eventually be like IHG with its inflation and promos-upon-promos to keep people coming back. Well, minus the IHG pointstretchers, which are often exceptional value.
That has been the stated goal of Hilton management for many years. Their view is that rewards were too valuable. After devaluing the rewards, they can make up for that devaluation by offering bigger earning promotions, however they feel that is superior because these bonuses can be targeted to whatever group management wants to target.

Of course, the first casualty of inflation is always savers. Anyone here on FT saving a big pile of HH points ought to burn them as soon as possible. Thank goodness I never put spending on one of those Hilton credit cards.

Last edited by jn in ca; Mar 12, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.