Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Exactly my point. OK, so you get notice... the points are still devalued. The properties still get more expensive in points. Notice is only useful if you can lock in stays months in advance. It's better than nothing but it at best represents a few months of grace if you can make it work.
It is a slap on the face how Hilton devalued the program in 2018 - that is my point. I personally had a planned long stay I had enough points just a couple of days ago, and I can`t afford it now - "thanks" to Hilton silent devaluation. Obviously, if I knew it was coming, I would had booked it before devaluation. So much for being loyal. Not any more.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Hampton Inn at Columbus GA airport was 5K, but seems to have become a Baymont Inn sometime recently. That may have been the last US property for 5K per night.

I still see a couple of 10K properties.
The other was the Hampton Inn, Cleburne, Texas. Stayed there on a 5K reward three years ago.

Have used several of the New Mexico 10K properties several times.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The other was the Hampton Inn, Cleburne, Texas. Stayed there on a 5K reward three years ago.

Have used several of the New Mexico 10K properties several times.
Hampton Baytown TX was 5k few years back, great place. It's now 20k😩
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Still a couple of 5Ks in Egypt
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
LOL, sure.

Huge Devaluation - Marriott Announces 2018 Category Changes - Frequent Miler

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...h-devaluation/

Shame on Hyatt for Latest Petty Stunt - Live and Let's Fly

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/ihg...-changes-2018/

Do what you have to do, inly you can judge what works for you and what doesn't, but I find the idea that Hilton's unique in devaluing their program to be pretty risible.
you cannot possibly compare what hilton does to points vs spg or hyatt. The latter two probably maintained the same value over the last few years with very few adjustments (the linked bloody murder scream by a blogger over 2 - two! - properties going up is indicative of how unusual that is)... Hilton on the other hand seems to devalue at 10% annual rate.. we went from being 1c pt just a few years back to less than half cent/pt...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
you cannot possibly compare what hilton does to points vs spg or hyatt. The latter two probably maintained the same value over the last few years with very few adjustments (the linked bloody murder scream by a blogger over 2 - two! - properties going up is indicative of how unusual that is)... Hilton on the other hand seems to devalue at 10% annual rate.. we went from being 1c pt just a few years back to less than half cent/pt...
Exactly! Hyatt still has plenty of 5K properties, and they have had those for as long as I remember (7-8 years?), and those 30K Park Hyatt properties still have a great value of aprox $1K. With Hilton, it is 95K for Conrad Tokyo for much lower $ price, etc.

But again, my point of the Hilton silent devaluation is cutting off 5K properties without saying a word about it is a very bad practice.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:30 pm

I've added a wiki. Please add devalued properties as you find them.

Originally Posted by Kat007
They are gone - 61 out of 65. And quite a few doubled from 10K.
Which properties doubled 10k → 20k?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hilton points are being continuously devalued, as I am reminded every time I try to use them.

It's like Weimar Germany. Can the 1 million point AMEX sign-up bonus be far off?
Sisosig likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by mster

Which properties doubled 10k → 20k?
per paul00 in the thread "Four New Hilton Perks":
"Reward nights at Hampton by Hilton Minsk City Centre in Belarus, DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka in Malaysia, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ningbo - Chunxiao and Hilton Garden Inn Foshan in China, and Hilton Alexandria Corniche and Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza in Egypt have gone up from 5,000 to 10,000 points per night

Also, Hampton by Hilton Swinoujscie, Poland has gone from a maximum of 10,000 points per night to 15,000 points. Previously Category 2 was fixed at 10,000 points, while Category 3 was fixed at 20,000 points.

Standard room rewards at a number of properties in Russia have doubled from 5,000 points/night to 10,000 points/night:​​​​​​​etc, etc. I recall some more jumps from 10K->20K, but I don`t remember those (one of the properties is in Singapore, if I remember correctly)
Keep in mind that Hilton devalues them in batches, so what is 10K today, might be much higher tomorrow.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:40 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

You can find such a wiki in the Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks thread.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:44 pm

Standard room rewards at a number of properties in Russia have doubled from 5,000 points/night to 10,000 points/night:
I'm certain that the Krakow property went up some time ago and several of the other properties listed also appear to have been raised a while ago.

Are there any properties that we can say with certainty actually increased award rates last night or is this just another thread for an ongoing trend?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:48 pm

I'm certain that the Krakow property went up some time ago and several of the other properties listed also appear to have been raised a while ago.

Are there any properties that we can say with certainty actually increased award rates last night or is this just another thread for an ongoing trend?
Not a while ago, but beginning this January 2018. The most hotels jumped up within past week. paul noticed them on March 8, 2018, while I noticed on March 12 - 100% positive that those jumped up just recently. So you are wrong.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Sorry to hear about your loss. What are the cash rates you have historically seem at these 5,000 point properties? Using a value of $.005/pt you've been getting a room for $25 USD.

I'll still primarily stay with my strategy of using point redemptions for 5th night free stays. Have one upcoming in at the Tampa Hampton Inn & Suites that is for 5 nights and the points cost me $600. The other thing I like about point redemptions is that you avoid the 13+% room taxes.
Unfortunately, many of us can't stay at one property for 5 days. That said, my first stay of 5 days will be later this month in NOLA. No reasonably priced condos available.

Last edited by philemer; Mar 13, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:57 pm

Not a while ago, but beginning this January 2018. The most hotels jumped up within past week. paul noticed them on March 8, 2018, while I noticed on March 12 - 100% positive that those jumped up just recently. So you are wrong.
Okay. So some hotels jumped up in January and an entirely separate batch appear to have jumped up together in the last week.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by azepine00
you cannot possibly compare what hilton does to points vs spg
Who owns SPG now? Oh yeah, that company that just devalued your points at 1,082 properties (I helpfully linked to it) and that's going to kill of the SPG program once and for all at some point relatively soon.

But hey, if you're getting great value out of Marriott, IHG, Hyatt or whatever, go for it, the programs aren't looking out for your interest, only you can do that. If you want to ditch Hilton for another program, be my guest. If you want to seriously argue that SPG is a good long term proposition... well.... okaaaay. If you think Hilton's some unique proprietor of evil, I submit you're not paying attention.
WanderingGent likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 14, 2018 at 12:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.