Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nk15
It's called bait and switch, read about it. It's the whole concept loyalty programs are based on.
Sorry but you are wrong. I run into that when booking hotels on any site where if its for multi nights the rate I see ends up being the avg cost and not the per night cost per night eg I will see $75 say per night when staying 2 nights when in fact its $100 1 night and $50 the other

B&S would be it shows say 20k and in reality not 1 of the nights is available for 20k and its 30k per night when you click to book. But if it shows 20k or 20k is the avg over all the nights one put in for the res , then I dont see it as B&S
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by craz
Sorry but you are wrong. I run into that when booking hotels on any site where if its for multi nights the rate I see ends up being the avg cost and not the per night cost per night eg I will see $75 say per night when staying 2 nights when in fact its $100 1 night and $50 the other

B&S would be it shows say 20k and in reality not 1 of the nights is available for 20k and its 30k per night when you click to book. But if it shows 20k or 20k is the avg over all the nights one put in for the res , then I dont see it as B&S
No, bait and switch is a hotel program sells you points and gives you rewards at X value, and then it cuts the points value down. B&S, a time honored tradition in the travel industry...

Anyway, in this case I think this is just an IT problem that is often misleading, I think I have seen it before in hotel reservations, it displays the first night only, not the average.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
When I was checking some hotels the other day, I noticed it would sometimes display one award price but then, when you clicked, it would have a different points price.

When booking a multiple night stay, the system also seems to sometimes only show you the points price for the first night, and you have to get to the confirmation page to see the additional night pricing.

None of this is good, of course.
Unless I need the 4th night free, I NEVER book multiple nights. Always one night at a time to give me max flexibility should our plan changes. Never had any hotel at any chain unable to keep us in the same room on all those 1 nighter ressies.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

No, bait and switch is a hotel program sells you points and gives you rewards at X value, and then it cuts the points value down. B&S, a time honored tradition in the travel industry...

Anyway, in this case I think this is just an IT problem that is often misleading, I think I have seen it before in hotel reservations, it displays the first night only, not the average.
In that case you can say almost every rewards program including Staples are all B&S, since almost everyone makes changes to its program every year = some folks who signed up under 1 set of T&Cs will have them changed on them

Changes to earning or cashing out power isnt B&S unless said company pushes a program knowing 100% that they are going to change it and sap everyone. Since most folks know car,hotel and airline programs changes all the time its not B&S. It may not be nice but its not B&S.

If a person plays their cards right and get lucky the new system with HH can easily save them alot of pts, but its not every hotel everyday. eg Ive seen 1 of my reg places go for 21-19k when before 3/1 it was 30k, now it still may pay to use $$ but thats a very nice savings if a person wants to use pts

For the record Im not siding with HH and I would prefer the pre 3/1 system, but its not B&S
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by serpens
Are you sure it's a 40,000 points per night property? If it's now a 50,000 points per night property (courtesy of the recent enhancement), then you are already seeing the discounted price.

Note that with 5th night free, you still see a charge for every night.

If you have any doubts about the points per night required, you could log out, clear cookies (I don't know if that matters, but it shouldn't hurt), and check the hotel without logging in.
Hmm, is there something special about Hawaii?

I know the Grand Vacations Clubs aren't eligible for the 5th night free.

But the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Resort says (5th night free)

Regardless of whether I'm logged in or not, the Kalia Tower 1 King Bedroom Ocean View for 2/14/18-2/19/18 for 2 people shows 90,000/night. Total of 450,000. I'm pretty sure I did math and that's 5 nights, and 5x90k = 450,000, right?

Are Premium awards not eligible for 5th night free?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In essence, it is B&S. Technically and legally it is not, but in essence, it is.

This is akin to lobbying and political campaign contributions. Technically and legally, it is not bribing, but in essence, we all know it is bribing.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hurnik
They weren't before - assuming that is a premium reward then it looks like nothing has changed in that respect.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hurnik
They are not offered in the T&C.

For every Standard Room Reward stay of five or more nights, one night is free.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:31 pm
Suspended

In essence, it is B&S. Technically and legally it is not, but in essence, it is.

This is akin to lobbying and political campaign contributions. Technically and legally, it is not bribing, but in essence, we all know it is bribing.
Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I would agree with you had HH posted say 20k for each night separately and when you make 1 res they up it to say 30k per night.

Since most likely each night by itself will have a different rate then how could you expect HH to hold by 1 amount of pts for every night, that is unless every night would workout to need more pts then its capped at, so then it should be the same amount of pts every night as long as its a standard room each night

The same can be said for paying ca$h, 1 night may be more or less$$ then the others, Marriott always made it known that as of x date the rate is higher or lower but the rate of your 1st night was the rate that showed as your main rate even thou it may not be every night of ones stay.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am talking about the rewards program as a whole, not the different rates per night, as I said I think this is an IT issue.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some interesting discussion in this blog about the "points cap." But nobody (including Hilton) seems to know how long it will last.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/04/05/h...-are-in-place/
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by iahphx
Some interesting discussion in this blog about the "points cap." But nobody (including Hilton) seems to know how long it will last.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/04/05/h...-are-in-place/
Always a little scary when loyalty programs feel the need to caveat with "at this time".

Definitely rethinking my HH loyalty...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Always a little scary when loyalty programs feel the need to caveat with "at this time".

Nothing wrong with stating 'at this time'. If you think Marriott and SPG's reward offerings are set in stone forever, you're going to be very disappointed at a later time.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Nothing wrong with stating 'at this time'. If you think Marriott and SPG's reward offerings are set in stone forever, you're going to be very disappointed at a later time.
Actually, Marriott and Starwood have been structurally much more stable than HHonors. The fundamental building blocks in those two programs have remained the same for many, many years. Marriott has had 1 revamp in the past decade that entailed an across-the-board increase in award costs - BUT - it also included increased earnings for elites that mostly offset the cost increase, and it dumped the formerly-annoying two-tier availability scheme. The program got better - for real. Starwood's only change of note has been a downgrade of the quality of their promotions, but that's a bit of a different topic.

HHonors, on the other hand, has had at least 2 (or is it 3?) major structural overhauls in the past decade. Entire awards that I used to book regularly are completely gone. That's why "at this time" is especially anxiety-inducing with Hilton. It feels like they move the goalposts in this program a LOT....more than just the gradual annual Category Creep that all programs are known to drop on their members.

It doesn't necessarily kill off my desire to stay at Hilton, but it does make me reevaluate how much I find the stays worth, relative to nearby Marriott competitors where I hold a similar status.

(Obviously 2017 is a unique case for MR and SPG. I'll enter 2018 with a modest balance of SPG, expecting a hybrid program that is slightly less rewarding than either of them are today. I definitely wouldn't advise anyone to stockpile there thinking 2018 will suddenly get *more* rewarding.)
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar

Earn and burn, baby.

And that's now quite easy with the new Honors points structure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.