Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Sorry to hear about your loss. What are the cash rates you have historically seem at these 5,000 point properties? Using a value of $.005/pt you've been getting a room for $25 USD.

I'll still primarily stay with my strategy of using point redemptions for 5th night free stays. Have one upcoming in at the Tampa Hampton Inn & Suites that is for 5 nights and the points cost me $600. The other thing I like about point redemptions is that you avoid the 13+% room taxes.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
A quick search shows that in Istanbul there are still 3 hotels at 5,000 points a night, so it doesn't look like the 5K hotels have gone everywhere
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Sorry to hear about your loss. What are the cash rates you have historically seem at these 5,000 point properties? Using a value of $.005/pt you've been getting a room for $25 USD.

I'll still primarily stay with my strategy of using point redemptions for 5th night free stays. Have one upcoming in at the Tampa Hampton Inn & Suites that is for 5 nights and the points cost me $600. The other thing I like about point redemptions is that you avoid the 13+% room taxes.
Easily $60 -$80 per 5K.
I see some other people were taken by surprise when they saw that there is no more 5K, yet Hilton didn`t bother to announce that they were devaluing their program once again. Sneaky!

Originally Posted by englisha
A quick search shows that in Istanbul there are still 3 hotels at 5,000 points a night, so it doesn't look like the 5K hotels have gone everywhere
They are gone - 61 out of 65. And quite a few doubled from 10K.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 15, 2018 at 6:03 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:51 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
yeah noticed this as well... luckily i booked some nights for early 2019 already
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kat007
They are gone - 61 out of 65. And quite a few doubled from 10K.
Not sure where you are searching, but In addition to IST, my quick search found Bali Airport, Hurgahda, Lasi and Sighisora (Romania) and Sharm El Sheikh still at 5K... Not saying there isnt a devaluation happening and that properties aren't increasing the points needed, but 5K properties aren't completely gone
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Miesque
On a different note, its been years since I have seen a 5K here in the US or eve 10K, now 20K is the lowest I see
Hampton Inn at Columbus GA airport was 5K, but seems to have become a Baymont Inn sometime recently. That may have been the last US property for 5K per night.

I still see a couple of 10K properties.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by englisha
Not sure where you are searching, but In addition to IST, my quick search found Bali Airport, Hurgahda, Lasi and Sighisora (Romania) and Sharm El Sheikh still at 5K... Not saying there isnt a devaluation happening and that properties aren't increasing the points needed, but 5K properties aren't completely gone
Hilton started this new silent devaluation gradually from January 2018. The last "batch" when 5K jumped to 10K happened around 7-8 of March (of course, without any announcement). Watch out for the remaining few you found, as they will be gone very soon.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Hilton honors representative.....your thoughts please on this?
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
So is this how they compensate and pay for the new Amex cards with 7x/12x/14x points on properties? I don't pay much attention to HHonors to be honest, but they aren't encouraging me to change my mind.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
So is this how they compensate and pay for the new Amex cards with 7x/12x/14x points on properties? I don't pay much attention to HHonors to be honest, but they aren't encouraging me to change my mind.
As a Diamond (by stays), I am about to close AmEx Hilton annual fee cards - considering how often Hilton devalues its loyalty program, there are much better values elsewhere.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
LOL, sure.

Huge Devaluation - Marriott Announces 2018 Category Changes - Frequent Miler

1,082 properties are moving up a category while only 247 properties are moving down.
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...h-devaluation/

Shame on Hyatt for Latest Petty Stunt - Live and Let's Fly

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/ihg...-changes-2018/

499 hotels are increasing in price by 5,000-10,000 points each, and 192 properties will be going down by 5,000 points per night. While IHG is still a huge company with more than 5,000 properties in its portfolio, the 499 properties increasing in price account for 10% of its worldwide offering.
Do what you have to do, inly you can judge what works for you and what doesn't, but I find the idea that Hilton's unique in devaluing their program to be pretty risible.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by Miesque
On a different note, its been years since I have seen a 5K here in the US or eve 10K, now 20K is the lowest I see
Checked New Mexico last week and again this week and they still have five 10k-properties,
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
LOL, sure.

Huge Devaluation - Marriott Announces 2018 Category Changes - Frequent Miler

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...h-devaluation/

Shame on Hyatt for Latest Petty Stunt - Live and Let's Fly

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/ihg...-changes-2018/

Do what you have to do, inly you can judge what works for you and what doesn't, but I find the idea that Hilton's unique in devaluing their program to be pretty risible.
Marriott announced its coming devaluation, so many were able to book upcoming stays. Devaluations are inevitable, but when Hilton does that behind our backs without the announcement, this is very disappointing and alarming.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sisosig
Checked New Mexico last week and again this week and they still have five 10k-properties,
Some 10K properties are still there (for now, but we never know when Hilton devalues them, too), but 5K are almost gone already.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Kat007
Devaluations are inevitable
Exactly my point. OK, so you get notice... the points are still devalued. The properties still get more expensive in points. Notice is only useful if you can lock in stays months in advance. It's better than nothing but it at best represents a few months of grace if you can make it work.

IHG devalued properties I stayed at in 2017 for 2018 (ones that would be useful to stay at). Yeah, I got a couple weeks notice. BFD. Still devalues the program for me (and I'd been willing to accrue in IHG), and now the PointBreaks properties are 5k-15k, not just 5k. I don't really see anywhere to run to- they're all running their loyalty programs the same way Zimbabwe or Venezuela manages their currency. If you can find something better for your stay patterns and better value, good for you. But I don't trust Marriott, IHG, etc. any more than Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.