Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 7, 18, 11:41 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: paul00
Wiki Link
Official link showing the maximum number of points needed to redeem a standard room award after the changes: http://pointsandmoney.hilton.com/

How will standard room rewards be affected by the changes?
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative View Post
Our Points prices will also become more flexible. When demand and room rates are lower, Points prices will flex and go lower than before. As we launch this new benefit, we’re also saying farewell to hotel categories - which will allow prices to go lower than the previous ranges. But you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing.

For example, today a Standard Room at Category 10 hotels maxes out at 95,000 Points per night. Once the new Points & Money program launches, those hotels will continue to top out at 95,000 Points, and may sometimes be priced lower than the previous category range.
Will I earn bonus points on the cash portion of Points & Money bookings?

If you book a Points & Money rate when the new functionality goes live later this month [Feb 2017], the money portion will qualify to earn Hilton Honors Base Points. You'll also qualify to earn Bonus Points through eligible promotions, including the 2K Every Day promotion (note: I posted this update in the promotion thread, as well).

Points & Money stays booked under the current system are subject to the current Terms & Conditions of the program - therefore, you would not be eligible to earn Points on the cash portion of the stay.
Although the HonorsRepresentative stated in Feb 2017 that 'you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing', in June 2017 the maximum number of points needed to redeem standard room rewards at four properties were raised. Furthermore, the HonorsRepresentative stated that:

While we won’t be updating you for each and every shift going forward, we’re fully committed to delivering the best value to our members, and will carefully consider any adjustments for Hilton Honors properties.
List of properties which have seen increases in the maximum number of points needed to redeem standard room awards since the changes:
  • Hampton Inn closest to Universal Orlando, US: Cat 3 (max 20,000 points) to Cat 4 (max 30,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Hangzhou East, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Jiaxing, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wuhu, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Shenzhen Longhua, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Doubletree by Hilton Xiamen-Haicang, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Fuzhou Cangshan, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Suzhou, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Ningbo, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago/Hoffman Estates, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Lincoln, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Las Vegas Airport, US: Cat 3 (max 20,000 points) to max 25,000 points
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Ningbo Beilun, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Shenzhen Bao'an, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Dandong, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Krakow, Poland, Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Oxford/Anniston, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Oxford/Anniston, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Conrad Macao Cotai Central: Cat 5 (max 40,000 points) to Cat 6 (max 50,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn LaGrange near Callaway Gardens, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Cartersville, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Fall River/Westport, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Minsk City Centre, Belarus: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ningbo - Chunxiao, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Foshan, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Alexandria Corniche, Egypt: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza, Egypt: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka, Malaysia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Swinoujscie, Poland: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to max 15,000 points
  • Hampton by Hilton Nizhny Novgorod, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Samara, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Ulyanovsk, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Volgograd, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Trabzon (previously Hilton Garden Inn Trabzon), Turkey: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to max 25,000 points
  • Hilton Salalah Resort, Oman: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 31, 17, 1:50 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors

Hi all,

I wanted to give you a sneak peek into something we’re officially announcing tomorrow. We’re adding some new benefits for Hilton Honors members – industry-first, game-changing perks.

And no, that’s not a typo! You may have noticed, we’ve dropped that extra “H” in our name. Simple, easy, straightforward – Hilton Honors. And so I’ll be updating my FlyerTalk name to represent that.

We’re continuously listening to our members in these forums, and through extensive research we’re evolving the program. Today we announce three new Points benefits and a new benefit for Diamond Elite Members – just the latest stop on our journey to deliver more of what matters most to you.
1. More flexible Points & Money –Starting in late February, Hilton Honors members can use a flexible payment slider to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to pay for their stay, any time, with no blackout dates. Members can still opt to use all Points on award stays and elite members can continue to enjoy the popular 5th Night Free benefit.

Our Points prices will also become more flexible. When demand and room rates are lower, Points prices will flex and go lower than before. As we launch this new benefit, we’re also saying farewell to hotel categories - which will allow prices to go lower than the previous ranges. But you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing.

For example, today a Standard Room at Category 10 hotels maxes out at 95,000 Points per night. Once the new Points & Money program launches, those hotels will continue to top out at 95,000 Points, and may sometimes be priced lower than the previous category range.

2. Shop with Points on Amazon – Come summer 2017, Hilton Honors members will be able to use their Points to purchase products on Amazon.com. Our partnership with Amazon will give members more choices and more ways to use Points.

3. Points Pooling – Starting this April, members can combine or “pool” their Hilton Honors Points with family and friends on future award stays. We’re doing away with the previous transfer fee, so it will be completely free for a Hilton Honors member to pool their Points with up to 10 family members and friends to get to more vacations together, faster.
New Diamond Benefit - We’re also excited to share a brand new benefit for our Diamond members. We know that sometimes life puts a pause on travel, whether that be because of a new job, a new addition to the family, or for any number of situations. Starting in March, current eligible Diamond members can choose to extend their status for a year, one-time, for any reason when a light travel period doesn’t allow them to requalify. Diamond members are eligible if they meet either criteria below:
• 3+ years as a Diamond Elite with at least 250 nights (paid or reward) since joining the program; or
• 3+ years as a Diamond Elite with at least 500,000 Base Points since joining the program.
To check your lifetime years, nights or Base Points, please contact the Diamond Desk.

I’m looking forward to hearing your questions and your feedback – and very glad to provide more details on any of the benefits mentioned above. We’ve also posted additional information here. Reach out to me via PM or post your comments on the thread.

Thank you!
Lauren

Last edited by HonorsRepresentative; Feb 1, 17 at 4:44 am Reason: Updated with Links to Website
Old Jan 31, 17, 1:53 pm

Programs: SK EBD/A3 *A Gold/baEC G/IHG Spire/Hilton Gold/Marriott Platinum/RR Gold & others
Glad to see some programs are adding new benefits instead of just cutting them ����
Old Jan 31, 17, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative View Post
Hi all,

I wanted to give you a sneak peek into something we’re officially announcing tomorrow. We’re adding some new benefits for Hilton Honors members – industry-first, game-changing perks.

And no, that’s not a typo! You may have noticed, we’ve dropped that extra “H” in our name. Simple, easy, straightforward – Hilton Honors. And so I’ll be updating my FlyerTalk name to represent that.

We’re continuously listening to our members in these forums, and through extensive research we’re evolving the program. Today we announce three new Points benefits and a new benefit for Diamond Elite Members – just the latest stop on our journey to deliver more of what matters most to you.
1. More flexible Points & Money –Starting in late February, Hilton Honors members can use a flexible payment slider to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to pay for their stay, any time, with no blackout dates. Members can still opt to use all Points on award stays and elite members can continue to enjoy the popular 5th Night Free benefit.

2. Shop with Points on Amazon – Come summer 2017, Hilton Honors members will be able to use their Points to purchase products on Amazon.com. Our partnership with Amazon will give members more choices and more ways to use Points.

3. Points Pooling – Starting this April, members can combine or “pool” their Hilton Honors Points with family and friends on future award stays. We’re doing away with the previous transfer fee, so it will be completely free for a Hilton Honors member to pool their Points with up to 10 family members and friends to get to more vacations together, faster.
New Diamond Benefit - We’re also excited to share a brand new benefit for our Diamond members. We know that sometimes life puts a pause on travel, whether that be because of a new job, a new addition to the family, or for any number of situations. Starting in March, current eligible Diamond members can choose to extend their status for a year, one-time, for any reason when a light travel period doesn’t allow them to requalify. Diamond members are eligible if they meet either criteria below:
• 3+ years as a Diamond Elite with at least 250 nights (paid or reward) since joining the program; or
• 3+ years as a Diamond Elite with at least 500,000 Base Points since joining the program.
To check your lifetime years, nights or Base Points, please contact the Diamond Desk.

I’m looking forward to hearing your questions and your feedback – and very glad to provide more details on any of the benefits mentioned above. I’ll share a link to the updated website first thing tomorrow morning. Reach out to me via PM or post your comments on the thread.

Thank you!
Lauren
Interesting. I will miss Diamond this year, and probably qualify for an extension.

I'm worried about this sliding scale and no fixed points category, though. I often stay in Asia, and have used 5 and 10k properties. Add in the 5th night for free and these have served me well. I doubt we'll see less than the 4k or 8k per night that I often get now.

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Jan 31, 17 at 2:01 pm
Old Jan 31, 17, 1:59 pm

Hi all,

I’m looking forward to hearing your questions and your feedback – and very glad to provide more details on any of the benefits mentioned above. I’ll share a link to the updated website first thing tomorrow morning. Reach out to me via PM or post your comments on the thread.

Thank you!
Lauren
Very Impressive Lauren.HHonors definitely heading in a direction that benefits its members. Thank you for posting.
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:14 pm
xyc

Hi all,

Oh, no no no no. Right now, hotels can and do change points pricing within their current categories without any notice. After this change, they'll be able to change points pricing to anything they want without any notice.

Furthermore, I have a hard time believing that a lot of current low-season points pricing won't increase once the change is implemented. I think this is going to be another big devaluation. I'm very worried.
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:15 pm
cjd

[INDENT]1. More flexible Points & Money –Starting in late February, Hilton Honors members can use a flexible payment slider to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to pay for their stay, any time, with no blackout dates. Members can still opt to use all Points on award stays and elite members can continue to enjoy the popular 5th Night Free benefit.

Thanks Lauren. Some interesting changes. Somehow, I've got the feeling that the above point no 1 will not be as beneficial as you make out, being revenue based now. Some of the present low category hotels often have standard rooms at quite expensive room rates and this makes the present low category award rate very advantageous and is one of the benefits of the scheme. When the award rate is based upon the room price, I would imagine the points required will rise substantially. Devaluation by the back door comes to mind. Hope I'm wrong!
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER View Post
Very Impressive Lauren.HHonors definitely heading in a direction that benefits its members. Thank you for posting.
I'm not sure you read this correctly. Not publishing the hotel categories is not a good thing. How do you know what the regular price is?

I don't see the benefits here.
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Thanks Lauren. Some interesting changes. Somehow, I've got the feeling that the above point no 1 will not be as beneficial as you make out, being revenue based now. Some of the present low category hotels often have standard rooms at quite expensive room rates and this makes the present low category award rate very advantageous and is one of the benefits of the scheme. When the award rate is based upon the room price, I would imagine the points required will rise substantially. Devaluation by the back door comes to mind. Hope I'm wrong!
+1
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I thought changes to points and money option was happening as I have struggled to find availability at many Conrad and Waldorf hotels recently.

Glad to know there is just an alteration to the points and money optio rather than it being phased out.
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post
I'm not sure you read this correctly. Not publishing the hotel categories is not a good thing. How do you know what the regular price is?

Well at least they only dropped the H from HHonors and didn't change the name to World of Honors with its highest elite status called GLOBALIST. You make a good point and the short answer is you don't need the old regular price because 99 % of the time it was way to high compared to the other 4 major hotel loyalty programs. I am trusting the new Honors program is taking point redemption cost for hotel nights in the correct direction to be a more valuable program to its millions of members.
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:38 pm
cjd

[INDENT]1. More flexible Points & Money –Starting in late February, Hilton Honors members can use a flexible payment slider to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to pay for their stay, any time, with no blackout dates. Members can still opt to use all Points on award stays and elite members can continue to enjoy the popular 5th Night Free benefit.

Lauren, another point I would like to make is that you state you are listening to your members in this forum. As you are making changes to the Award system, is it unreasonable to ask that you abolish the rule whereby a combination of a paid stay and an Award stay is counted as an Award stay and no points given. Similarly Points and money rates do not get Honors points. The rule has no logic to it and there have been many complaints about it here on Flyertalk. Same applies if you book 2 rooms, one paid and one Award - no points given. The rule discourages members from combining paid and Award stays. Now that you are allowing members to make flexible payments with points, it would also be good to know that Honors points will be awarded on the paid part of the reservation.
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:42 pm

Interesting.

Hotel categories should still be published so we know what max points prices are.

Points/Cash flexibility is great, hopefully points value will stay around what it is. Current P&C rates are excellent compared to cash only. Hope this stays.
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by shadowline View Post

Hotel categories should still be published so we know what max points prices are.

Points/Cash flexibility is great, hopefully points value will stay around what it is. Current P&C rates are excellent compared to cash only. Hope this stays.
I'm always very nervous about "great new changes" to any loyalty program. Too often, they are taking real benefits away, and it's just lipstick on a pig.

I've been pretty happy with Hilton this last year, and am hoping that these are real, positive changes for Honors members.
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post

Lauren said the maximum amount of points for the hotels won't be increasing. Often times, the amount of points required in low season are ridiculously high given the cash rate. For example in New York City, it is nuts that rooms in the winter time cost 60,000 points when the cash rates are $150.00. If the max rate is set it will help in high seasons, while giving more flexibility to go lower when hotels are in slow times than the current structure does. Also, redemptions will continue to be valuable on the high end properties with a 95,000 cap. Also, just like if cash rates drop, you now may be able to snag even better redemption rates by cancelling the room and rebooking it.

I also like the idea of transferring points between accounts for free. I can see myself giving family members hotel nights as presents with this feature. Also, it allows family members that have small points balances to not waste them by being able to combine them with mine.

My question would be if there are any changes/impact to premium room reward pricing, which can sometimes be a reasonable value but are often times completely out of whack when compared to standard rooms.
Old Jan 31, 17, 3:00 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors
Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback so far - knew there would be some helpful thoughts from the group! In addition to tomorrow's announcement/official website update, we’ll also be launching a Standard Reward Pricing Tool which will allow you to compare Point price ranges by property before and after the new Points & Money goes live in late February.

I'll share this tomorrow, as well.

Thank you!
Lauren

Search this Thread