Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Closures & General Discussion During COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak

Open Clubs:

See Delta Sky Club News & Updates for the latest up to date changes. Clubs Permanently Closed:
  • LAX T3 (T3 has been demolished)
  • SCL (re-branding as a LATAM Lounge)
  • SEA: S
Future Clubs: List of Future Delta Sky Clubs & Updates

Print Wikipost

Delta SkyClub Closures & General Discussion During COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by rylan
But then again, there are enough people who just stick their hands right in to stuff and don't even bother to use the utensils...
Given that this is not a food borne illness and isn't transmitted though anything you ingest, your greatest risk, ironically enough, is from using the utensils.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Given that this is not a food borne illness and isn't transmitted though anything you ingest, your greatest risk, ironically enough, is from using the utensils.
Wholeheartedly disagree. Just because prepared food is mostly safe doesn't mean that food that has been left standing in a public buffet for hours is. Would you happily eat food from a buffet station that people have been coughing and sneezing on all day?

But thank you for mentioning the utensils. Utensils from a dispenser tray are indeed also a massive health hazard.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I’m still amazed that some SkyClubs are still open....AA essentially has no lounges open anywhere that you can enter.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I’m still amazed that some SkyClubs are still open....AA essentially has no lounges open anywhere that you can enter.
United kept a handful of their clubs open too. AA seems to be the outlier here not Delta.
KenTarmac and cmd320 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I do wonder if they can make utensils, or at least the portion handled, out of something or have a coating that has both anti bacterial and anti viral properties. Thought there already are antibacterial coatings but not sure how it is effective against viruses.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Can you get an adult beverage in the clubs that are open?

I see that only water is available on the flights, regardless of where you are sitting.

I may have to travel to California next week on an urgent business matter (my line of work and the industry that I serve have been declared "essential"), and I am thinking through my travel arrangements.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by rylan
I'm also curious to see if DL will offer extensions to those who paid for SC membership.
They did; my membership would have expired on 3/20/20 but was extended for six months.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
Help with what is available skyclub and DTW

Hi all,

I am a doctor travelling to care for COVID cases and my trip starts this week. My return next week had only a single choice of connections and will make a usual 5 hour trip to FLL last 11 hours with over 3 hours at DTW and a couple at ATL flying Delta. I haven't flown since this mess started. I am Diamond and have SkyClub access, but sounds like that won't mean much now. What will I find at the sky clubs in DTW especially for food and drink? What will I find open at the airports? Are coffee shops open?

Thanks For any heads up you can supply on current conditions for my twelve hour journey.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
See posts 49 and 50 for pictures of what you're likely to encounter at DTW. I flew through DTW on March 29 but didn't have time to stop by the sky club as I had a tight connection. The coffee machine at the B concourse SkyClub in ATL was still available. I'd imagine that DTW's will be as well. I don't recall seeing any restaurants open at DTW. The Starbucks may still be open as they don't actually serve food per se.

The terminals and flights will be emptier than you've ever seen them. It's surreal out there.

Safe travels and thank you so much for the work that you're doing.

Last edited by KenTarmac; Apr 11, 2020 at 8:41 am
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Wholeheartedly disagree. Just because prepared food is mostly safe doesn't mean that food that has been left standing in a public buffet for hours is. Would you happily eat food from a buffet station that people have been coughing and sneezing on all day?

But thank you for mentioning the utensils. Utensils from a dispenser tray are indeed also a massive health hazard.
When it comes to COVID-19, the utensils represent your risk. You aren't getting it by eating something. When it comes to other food safety issues, that is a totally different thing.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
At ATL A19 right now.

Food options are basically what they were 15 years ago. There is a bartender and limited alcohol. Annoyingly the Sweetwater tap is broken so I had to get Mich Ultra. Still, a draft beer is a draft beer.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think we will see this change, but I do think he days of grabbing the soup or salad yourself might be completely gone.

The Old Country Buffet approach to the SkyClub is likely gone. But that may have some advantages. Likely a more expensive and delivered/plated option will replace it. I’m thinking of something like how JFK SkyClub functioned briefly if anyone else remembers that.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
I think we will see this change, but I do think he days of grabbing the soup or salad yourself might be completely gone.

The Old Country Buffet approach to the SkyClub is likely gone. But that may have some advantages. Likely a more expensive and delivered/plated option will replace it. I’m thinking of something like how JFK SkyClub functioned briefly if anyone else remembers that.
I think the odds of an expensive and delivered option coming to a SC any time soon are about zero. I think we're going to see a prolonged bare bones operation in terms of luxuries similar to post 9/11 and the Great Recession. Maybe by the end of the decade we'll get back to where we were.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Do they have the Tillamook packaged cheese, or is it fake cheese?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think a bare-bones operation will be to Delta’s detriment. THey are going to need to make travel and specifically air travel feel luxurious, safe, and serene. Anything that undermines that will really hurt them. They’ve tried the “packing them in like sardines” strategy. That is over. Time to add cachet and the veneer of safety and “away from the riff-raff and their germs” type of attitude.
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.