Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Why is SLC-JFK overbooked so much in May?
You don't know if they are "overbooked". They just may be fully booked, or DL may be holding back seat inventory on flights. Since they are blocking the middle seats, it leaves a lot less seat capacity on flights. As noted above, DL now has to connect many pax via SLC to western destinations with all the non-stop flight reductions from ATL. The 8:15AM flight in particular looks to be fully booked on many dates in May. This is likely due to many people with existing tickets getting rebooked on that flight via SLC due to their non-stop flight from ATL getting cancelled. It's probably safe to assume a good number of people will end up cancelling as their trip dates get nearer.

DL is offering up some broken fare connecting options on their website (such as MCI). But you can ferret out a lot more with ITA Matrix. In some cases, you will need to transport yourself between airports (DAL-->DFW, HOU-->IAH, MDW-->ORD). If you want to upfare from BE to main cabin, you'll get hit with a $70 double-whammy because of broken fare.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 20, 2020 at 7:09 am
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:30 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
While I am not normally one to post blog links here, I found this analysis of Delta's May Schedule to be quite interesting.

https://crankyflier.com/2020/04/20/a...-may-schedule/
kyushuman, LoganFlyer and DCAhome like this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
You don't know if they are "overbooked". They just may be fully booked, or DL may be holding back seat inventory on flights. Since they are blocking the middle seats, it leaves a lot less seat capacity on flights. As noted above, DL now has to connect many pax via SLC to western destinations with all the non-stop flight reductions from ATL. The 8:15AM flight in particular looks to be fully booked on many dates in May. This is likely due to many people with existing tickets getting rebooked on that flight via SLC due to their non-stop flight from ATL getting cancelled. It's probably safe to assume a good number of people will end up cancelling as their trip dates get nearer.

DL is offering up some broken fare connecting options on their website (such as MCI). But you can ferret out a lot more with ITA Matrix. In some cases, you will need to transport yourself between airports (DAL-->DFW, HOU-->IAH, MDW-->ORD). If you want to upfare from BE to main cabin, you'll get hit with a $70 double-whammy because of broken fare.

One of the few pluses at AA is that they frequently offer actual through fares via non-hubs.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL domestic fares often permit connections in focus cities in addition to hubs (such as RDU/CVG/BNA/AUS) and some of them allow LAS connections (see below). But, yeah, that's pretty much it.

PUBLISHED RTG SEA-SJC/DL9089/TAR-DRG1 EF-29MAR20 DIS-INDEF
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. SEA-LAS/LAX/SEA/SLC-SJC
2. SEA-LAX-SJC
3. SEA-SLC-LAX-SJC
4. SEA-SLC-SJC
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:39 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Looks like the only nonstops are full fare. I guess I'll be flying AA with a stop in DFW.
Thanks everyone for helping!
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Flights are very unlikely to be sold out and even less likely to be overbooked.

DL has most likely locked inventory so that it can consolidate underperforming flights, e.g., have availability meet demand. Once that occurs, the remaining inventory will go back on sale in whatever fare buckets the new RM/IM suggests.

With constantly changing schedules, I would not book a connection when there is a nonstop. What is now a 2-hour connection, could easily become 8-10 hours or an overnight.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Looks like the only nonstops are full fare. I guess I'll be flying AA with a stop in DFW.
Thanks everyone for helping!
You are vastly overgeneralizing. There are plenty of dates in May that have seats available on non-stop's for less than full Y. Dates below are non-stop DL flights for ATL-SLC and only the dates showing $499 only have full Y available (and the 10th with $699 which is full J).

Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1

DL has most likely locked inventory so that it can consolidate underperforming flights, e.g., have availability meet demand. Once that occurs, the remaining inventory will go back on sale in whatever fare buckets the new RM/IM suggests.

With constantly changing schedules, I would not book a connection when there is a nonstop. What is now a 2-hour connection, could easily become 8-10 hours or an overnight.
I have 2 flights May 1 that aren’t selling any Y seats, only F. I can’t imagine they are full in Y.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
SLC-JFK 5/16 & 5/17 are crazy booked....you can’t even buy a YC ticket.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:19 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by xliioper
You are vastly overgeneralizing. There are plenty of dates in May that have seats available on non-stop's for less than full Y. Dates below are non-stop DL flights for ATL-SLC and only the dates showing $499 only have full Y available (and the 10th with $699 which is full J).

Perhaps they aren't "full fare" but they are expensive. The dates I am going, roundtrip on nonstop DL flights, it is either $633 or $833. The times don't work for me and neither does the price. Therefore I'll be flying AA. Thank you.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Often1

Completely agree this is what is happening.

There’s a few routes I’m looking at flying as soon as it is feasible and up through May 21 I can, for the most part, construct a semi-reasonable itinerary (some would require an overnight stop in SEA or ATL and booking as a “multi city” to make it work). But from May 22 onward the inventory appears locked up, or only F/J is available. Then, on June 2, the schedule goes back to “normal” with tons of options meaning the schedule hasn’t been adjusted yet, but we know’s it coming.

Based on the above, I think DL really only has confidence in their published schedule for about a month out right now. That’s probably being too optimistic as well. But, it’s better than the tons of same day, or day or two prior cancellations we were seeing a few weeks back.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Haven’t seen it mentioned here on the DL forum yet, but DL partner VA has entered “voluntary administration” (Australian version of Bankruptcy) after the Australian government declined to provide aid. This is a tough blow to DL and their operations if VA does indeed go under as DL would be left without an Australian partner. Richard Branson said today that VS could also go under as well if it’s not provided with government assistance. Sad times we are living in right now.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/virgin...lia-goes-bust/
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've seen a lot of similar issues when trying to look up flights later in May. DL cut schedule, so the remaining flights are either full or blocked off for further bookings.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Haven’t seen it mentioned here on the DL forum yet, but DL partner VA has entered “voluntary administration” (Australian version of Bankruptcy) after the Australian government declined to provide aid. This is a tough blow to DL and their operations if VA does indeed go under as DL would be left without an Australian partner. Richard Branson said today that VS could also go under as well if it’s not provided with government assistance. Sad times we are living in right now.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/virgin...lia-goes-bust/
Is VS still flying? It would seem prudent as a long haul only airline, they would suspend ops for a month or two like Cathay.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Is VS still flying? It would seem prudent as a long haul only airline, they would suspend ops for a month or two like Cathay.
Only 3 routes left, LHR-LAX/JFK are 1x daily and LHR-HKG is operating ever other day. DL is going to face a huge financial hurdle if both VS and VA go under due to the JV agreements they have with them both. I’d assume DL would also be at a competitive disadvantage to AA once flying starts to kick back up as I can’t see the UK or AU governments letting BA or QF flag carriers go under.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.