Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was an existing thread (that got merged with the operational thread) on some hub-to-hub routes getting full due to heavy reductions in point-to-point flying (thus requiring more connections) combined with middle seat blocking. The example was ATL-SLC flights. Aside from a few of the hub-to-hub routes, most flights are very empty. As noted above, seat availability tends to open as you get nearer to the flights as it seems a lot of people booked on these flights (after having been moved from non-stop flights) are cancelling their trips relatively close to departure date. If you look at the seat maps for this week's DTW-MSP flights, you will see that many are mostly empty.
koreanair720 and hi55us like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 27, 2020 at 10:32 am
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Looking at HSV-LAX in May and on some days there is only one set of flights being offered for sale. On the plus side, the search results come back really fast!
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I’d assume by June, most states will have lifted stay at home orders and DL will probably be more optimistic with the June schedule whenever it’s released. Right now DL has said demand is down 90-95% and hopefully June can get that to only being down by 75%.
Just because SAH orders are lifted doesn't mean people will be willing or able to travel.

Unemployment in my area is probably on the order of 7-10% right now. People are nervous about going to the grocery store much less getting on a plane full of recirculated air. I might take a personal trip in mid-June, we will see.

My work has basically said no travel for the foreseeable future. Our company is probably more conservative than some, but I can't imagine we are a gross outlier. I doubt I take a business trip by air before September.

I think planes will be more full in June than May, but I doubt they are running more than 25-30% load capacity by then.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by TPAtoAnywhere
Looks like my travel is about to start up again, very slowly. For the first time in a month I went to delta.com to purchase a one way back home to TPA from CLE. I was shocked at how much lift has been cut. The connection out of ATL now only consists of 2 flights to TPA on the day of my travel and I can't leave early enough to make either one. I'm gonna have to do the dreaded AA through CLT. I know this is the reality now for a long time to come. Just another jolt to get used to. The decreased lift is stunning. Anybody else as shocked as I am?
Rip van Winkle?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Until a vaccine is created, approved, and administered widely; this is our new reality. Granted, some of these restrictions will relax, but I don't foresee business travel resuming for anything other than essential functions (food, healthcare, etc.) for at least another year. I don't think you'll see 2019 levels of flying for another decade.

IMO, all the airlines are flying way too much right now. Delta said they were losing $100 M a day. That's just insane.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Delta said they were losing $100 M a day. That's just insane.
At first I thought this must be a typo or something, but having found articles referencing it... that's absolutely wild. And that their goal is to burn "only" $50M a day in the second quarter.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by ethernal
Not as bad as ATL-NYC though for obvious reasons. Between both JFK and LGA, Delta is down to less than 2 flights a day - on A319s. From ~30 on A321/757s. Incredible.
Wow, 2x daily on ATL-LGA and ATL-JFK. Unimaginable just a few weeks ago...
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Wyndham Gold, GE/CLEAR
I looked at SLC-JAX soon to see what they had since that is a routing I do a lot and there is only one or two options on the way there next week and it says no flights found on the way back even though there is a JAX-ATL and an ATL-SLC that would have a little over an hour connection but for some reason you can't book it together. AA by far had the most options. Honestly crazy how much demand has gone down, I was just 57/92 on the F list on an ATL-SLC on March 5th but that isn't gonna happen again anytime soon.

Last edited by coke cans and winglets; Apr 27, 2020 at 1:01 pm
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
I looked at SLC-JAX soon to see what they had since that is a routing I do a lot and there is only one or two options on the way there next week and it says no flights found on the way back even though there is a JAX-ATL and an ATL-SLC that would have a little over an hour connection but for some reason you can't book it together. AA by far had the most options.
Could be married segment inventory issue as many of the ATL-SLC flights are full or close to full. They seem to release more inventory closer-in (likely due to people cancelling). Delta.com fare search won't always show broken fare options. Searching on delta.com for flights on May 12th shows nothing available, but ITA Matrix shows broken fare option with 5 hour connection which you can bring up on delta.com with bookwithmatrix. AA schedule may be more robust, but they seem to be cancelling many more flights close-in than DL is. AA mainline had 314 cancellations for today while DL mainline had 3. Lots of Envoy and PSA cancels today too.

Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
AA by far had the most options.
This is also why AA is in a much worse financial shape compared to the rest of the big 3. CEO Doug doesn’t seem to have a grip on reality based on some of his recent comments compared to Oscar and Ed.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Wyndham Gold, GE/CLEAR
Originally Posted by xliioper
Could be married segment inventory issue as many of the ATL-SLC flights are full or close to full. They seem to release more inventory closer-in (likely due to people cancelling). Delta.com fare search won't always show broken fare options. Searching on delta.com for flights on May 12th shows nothing available, but ITA Matrix shows broken fare option with 5 hour connection which you can bring up on delta.com with bookwithmatrix. AA schedule may be more robust, but they seem to be cancelling many more flights close-in than DL is. AA mainline had 314 cancellations for today while DL mainline had 3. Lots of Envoy and PSA cancels today too.

That is a high possibility, I looked on May 8th and in fact they just now opened the flight I mentioned as a connecting itinerary so now there is exactly one set of flights each way on the dates I looked at
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
This is also why AA is in a much worse financial shape compared to the rest of the big 3. CEO Doug doesnt seem to have a grip on reality based on some of his recent comments compared to Oscar and Ed.
He's definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to CEO's.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by TPAtoAnywhere
The decreased lift is stunning. Anybody else as shocked as I am?
Not a DL flier but I fly UA out of their east hub EWR, and I can't even get to MSP directly right now. I have to connect thru ORD, and even then there are only 2 departing options. That said, if I fly 1 month later (June 5 vs May 5 for this example), I have four daily nonstop EWR -> MSP options.

I know this isn't the UA board but my points are (a) yes, it's happening with other carriers (even at their largest hubs) and (b) looking at dates a little further out, options can increase dramatically.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by threecap
Not a DL flier but I fly UA out of their east hub EWR, and I can't even get to MSP directly right now. I have to connect thru ORD, and even then there are only 2 departing options. That said, if I fly 1 month later (June 5 vs May 5 for this example), I have four daily nonstop EWR -> MSP options.

I know this isn't the UA board but my points are (a) yes, it's happening with other carriers (even at their largest hubs) and (b) looking at dates a little further out, options can increase dramatically.
I also looked at UA for that SLC-JAX and the only stuff when I looked was a few double connections for $1100.
threecap likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:48 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I don't think this is the "New Delta" its survival mode Delta. They have to maintain some level of flying because people still have to go places, but they are being extremely conservative. While I am enjoying the prospect of my flight being empty for comfort reasons, I prefer plane to be full because I don't want any company to lose money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.