Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imnotalawyer
These Centurion Lounges are open. Each has a dedicated discussion thread:

CLT Charlotte (2020)
DEN Denver (2021)
DFW Dallas (2013, Expanded 2018)
HKG Hong Kong (2017)
IAH Houston (2016)
JFK New York, Kennedy (2020)
LAS Las Vegas (2013)
LGA New York, La Guardia (2014, reopened in new Terminal 2021)
LHR London, Heathrow (2021)
MIA Miami (2015, Expanded 2019)
PHL Philadelphia (2017)
PHX Phoenix (2020)
SFO San Francisco (2014)
SEA Seattle (2015, Expanded 2017)

This location is closed due to construction:
LAX Los Angeles (2020)

These locations are announced, but not yet open:
DCA Washington, DC
ATL Atlanta, GA

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
What does it cost to operate a Centurion lounge?

Does anyone have any idea on what it costs per year to operate the Centurion lounge. So, take in rental cost at a large airport like SFO and then add operating cost.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:44 am

Love Field would be a smart new location. Wealthy Highland Park fliers would drive new AMEX Platinum memberships.

Love is a one terminal airport, with no other lounges.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jediwho
Does anyone have any idea on what it costs per year to operate the Centurion lounge.
There is some relevant data in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22677177-post2.html

Up front construction cost $5-6 million. Annual rent $1 million.

40-50 employees. Most part time, I expect. Anyone with the appropriate background care to estimate annual payroll?

Add insurance, utilities, food, beverages, alcohol, licenses, etc.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Thanks! Looks like it's about $7 million total cost per year:
1 million amortized cost per year
1 million rent
1.5 million for employee
0.5 million for insurance, utility, etc.
3+ million for food/wine

The big variable is food/wine. I am assuming around 3 million based on an annual foot traffic of around half 400K......so take a large airport like LAX or SFO with around 40 million passengers. Best case: 2 million or have Platinum. But only half can practically use the lounge based on location, so that brings that number down to 1 million. And of that, 40% actually make use of it (I use a lounge once every three times when available as I am almost always short on time. So the best case we have is 400,000 passengers a year and the cost of food/wine is no more than $7 per person......in a restaurant, cost of food/produce is usually between 25% and 30% of the price on the menu.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by mia
I am puzzled that no additional Centurion lounge locations have been announced. Five locations is not going to retain enough cardholders when they eliminate the $200 per year fee subsidy. At the very least I think they must intend to open locations in major markets such as Chicago, Los Angeles and Washington.
I was talking to the front desk at AA lounge in terminal 4 at LAX. He mentioned that very recently, AA opened a smaller lounge at terminal 4 just a few gates away. My thinking is Amex wanted that space (as terminal 4 is connected to terminal 6) for a Centurion lounge but AA decided to take that available space instead to block Amex. You are going to see this kind of tactics which will make it harder for Amex to open lounges in desired locations.

I am not super familiar with LAX layout but if I was Amex, I would open a lounge somewhere in Terminal 3 and pre security check that way, it would be easily accessible to people who are flying from Terminal 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Amex cardholders have access to lounge at the International Terminal through Priority Pass.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
I was talking to the front desk at AA lounge in terminal 4 at LAX. He mentioned that very recently, AA opened a smaller lounge at terminal 4 just a few gates away. My thinking is Amex wanted that space (as terminal 4 is connected to terminal 6) for a Centurion lounge but AA decided to take that available space instead to block Amex. You are going to see this kind of tactics which will make it harder for Amex to open lounges in desired locations.

I am not super familiar with LAX layout but if I was Amex, I would open a lounge somewhere in Terminal 3 and pre security check that way, it would be easily accessible to people who are flying from Terminal 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Amex cardholders have access to lounge at the International Terminal through Priority Pass.
LAX is a tough situation.

The customers they want to reach are flying AA or UA domestically. No room in T7 unless some of the office space in the concourse gets freed up by building the new 3rd level for the United Club. And it didn't appear in the plans for T7 renovation.

T4 no luck as you noted.

Maybe something in Bradley once the T4 connector is open but rent there is at a premium.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I would give anything to have one in DEN terminal B
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:13 pm

LUV and MDW would be a great idea. Even Terminal 1 at LAX.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I would give anything to have one in DEN terminal B
I couldn't echo that sentiment enough.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
LAX would be amazing but there's really nowhere good to put it. T6 is the only real "mixed" terminal for the major airlines, but there's no room. T1 makes no sense as it's a bus station (WN flights only). T2 or T3 are a hodgepodge of airlines with no legacies so that wouldn't make sense either. I think they stay out of LAX unless they can somehow takeover the AS boardroom in T6, which would most likely never happen.
Old May 15, 2015, 4:14 pm

I just got off the phone with an AMEX agent while trying to negotiate my annual fee. They offered me $100 to keep the Platinum card for another year.

But, that wasn't all she said. Bonnie, a manager in Membership Consulting Services, also shared that new lounges would be coming to PHL and ORD in the next year. She said it wasn't announced but that those were the next target airports after MIA opens.

Now I'm just waiting for DCA and I'll be covered!
Old May 15, 2015, 7:58 pm

did the agent actually say that plans were set, or that they were just "target airports"?
Old May 15, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by christopherdc
I just got off the phone with an AMEX agent while trying to negotiate my annual fee. They offered me $100 to keep the Platinum card for another year.

But, that wasn't all she said. Bonnie, a manager in Membership Consulting Services, also shared that new lounges would be coming to PHL and ORD in the next year. She said it wasn't announced but that those were the next target airports after MIA opens.

Now I'm just waiting for DCA and I'll be covered!
These would both be great options. Both are almost all connected post-security, and both are filled with marginal at best Admirals Clubs, United Clubs, and former Cactus Clubs. Some innovation and class would be much welcome at either airport.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:13 am

She said those were the next airports. I asked if that had been announced publicly and she seemed confused as to why I didn't know already and said they would be sending out notices to cardholders soon.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:17 pm

Considering their focus on major AA/UA hubs, ORD would not be a surprise, but I would have expected IAH before PHL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.