Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imnotalawyer
These Centurion Lounges are open. Each has a dedicated discussion thread:

CLT Charlotte (2020)
DEN Denver (2021)
DFW Dallas (2013, Expanded 2018)
HKG Hong Kong (2017)
IAH Houston (2016)
JFK New York, Kennedy (2020)
LAS Las Vegas (2013)
LGA New York, La Guardia (2014, reopened in new Terminal 2021)
LHR London, Heathrow (2021)
MIA Miami (2015, Expanded 2019)
PHL Philadelphia (2017)
PHX Phoenix (2020)
SFO San Francisco (2014)
SEA Seattle (2015, Expanded 2017)

This location is closed due to construction:
LAX Los Angeles (2020)

These locations are announced, but not yet open:
DCA Washington, DC
ATL Atlanta, GA

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:37 am

Yea terminal A doesn’t do much good at EWR (at least for me).

UA needs a large new non Polaris club or someone else needs to open a lounge. The pop up is awful and over crowded and the upstairs one is not designed for the capacity they run at now
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Looks like LAS and MIA are temporarily closing for renovation. How long does this usually take? I’ve got a long layover in MIA in early March. Was really hoping to spend those hours in the lounge. Also a trip to LAS in mid Feb. Haven’t been to either of these and looking forward to trying them.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I’m a big fan of the temporary pop up lounge. Only lounge left with packaged cookies. Easy to grab a pack in the go!
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Looks like LAS and MIA are temporarily closing for renovation. How long does this usually take? I’ve got a long layover in MIA in early March. Was really hoping to spend those hours in the lounge. Also a trip to LAS in mid Feb. Haven’t been to either of these and looking forward to trying them.
Really depends what they are doing. They were suppose to close the lounge in DFW for a few weeks, but in the end decided to fully close it down and wait for the new location to open. So even if they give a timeframe, knowing construction, it's not always going to follow that timeline.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
.... LAS and MIA are temporarily closing for renovation. How long does this usually take? ....
I don't think we have data to know what is usual. MIA is expanding, similar to what was done at SEA in 2017, but if my recall is accurate they did not close SEA during the expansion. DFW was a relocation, which doesn't seem to be a meaningful precedent.

I think a short period implies weeks rather than months, but if they encounter unexpected problems it will run longer.

Last edited by mia; Jan 12, 2019 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is about AMEX lounge, will move to AMEX forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I thought it would be interesting to revisit J.Edward's post from 2015 to see how the build out of the Centurion Lounge network has tracked expectations.

Of the five airports "short listed" by J.Edward, two have opened (IAH, PHL) and two are announced (DEN, CLT). The obvious miss is ORD, where I expect space availability is the barrier.

Still ample opportunity for expansion: ATL, EWR, MCO, MSP, DTW, BOS, DCA.

Originally Posted by J.Edward
For 2014 the FAA lists the following statistics for total passenger boardings (in millions) and I have arbitrarily color coded the airports as:
significant airside access (you can walk to mostly any gate from any other gate without having to re-clear security),
somewhat limited airside access (you can walk to some gates but not the majority of gates, without having to re-clear security), and
limited airside access where you cannot walk from one gate to the majority of other gates without having to re-clear security.

Also I have noted if there's an existing DL hub with multiple SkyClubs and crossed out locations that already have an AX lounge.
1. ATL - 46.6; DL hub + SkyClubs
2. LAX - 34.3
3. DFW - 34.2
4. ORD - 33.6
5. JFK - 26.2
6. DEN - 26.0
7. SFO - 22.7
8. CLT - 21.5
9. LAS - 20.5
10. PHX - 20.3
11. IAH - 19.7
12. MIA - 19.4
13. SEA - 17.8
14. EWR - 17.6
15. MCO - 17.2
16. MSP - 16.9; DL hub + SkyClubs
17. DTW - 15.7; DL hub + SkyClubs
18. BOS - 15.4
19. PHL - 14.7
20. LGA - 13.4
26. DCA - 10.0
If we take the top five locations in terms of total passengers, that are well connected airside, and are not Delta hubs (the assumption here is that eligible AX cardholders can use one of the already built SkyClubs), we have the following short-list:
1. ORD
2. DEN
3. CLT
4. IAH
5. PHL
krazykanuck likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jan 7, 2020 at 8:34 am
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:03 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
ORD is being rebuilt soon, and the airport may have identified space for a third-party, non-airline lounge to bid on, similar to PHX. Given the lack of Priority Pass lounges, I am sure Amex knows.

BOS is building a connector between terminals B and C that will be complete by 2022, which will mean all of the terminals except for Terminal A will be connected, and A is Delta only now (+ 1 WS gate). They also have plans to build an expansion in Terminal E, and Amex seems to like to put lounges in international terminals. I am a bit surprised they did not buy the Admirals Club space that used to be at B30, but supposedly the airport wanted it back as retail space.

MCO is an odd omission, but it may be due to the lack of premium demand.

Amex gets quite good data on the flights that people buy from the transaction data, so I would have to expect that they have identified the major markets for folks with Platinum cards. Amex's motivation in building and operating the lounges is odd -- they do it so that their products are perceived as premium, however each visit costs them money. It's important that when you are flying Emirates out of JFK T4 you think of the good experiences your Amex Platinum has brought you, but probably less important that you think of that when you are flying to Disney with your family.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
ORD Centurion Lounge?

Chicago O'Hare is the most important airport in the US without a currently announced Centurion Lounge. While other major airports lack clubs (e.g. EWR) the only other US market in the global top 30 without a Centurion or Escape lounge is MCO. •Eventually a Priority Pass lounge will open at MDW.
•Also DL operates clubs at ORD, MCO + EWR, no everyone lives in one of their hub cities or wants to connect...and unlike MCO there are no Priority Pass lounges at ORD.
For many years rumors have been out there that a Centurion ORD would open, and at some point it seems probable, the real question is when. Like at the Escape Lounge in Oakland, happy to buy a drink in SF for whomever guesses closest. (Or guest them into the ORD Cent when we're both connecting.)
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
ATL is more important. And there is no centurion lounge.
emcnj likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT
There won't be one built until T2 is demolished and new space is made available.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
There are two PP lounges in T5 at ORD. Makes sense there isn't a PP lounge there since all of the big three airports have clubs at ORD.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Any update on when the PP lounge will be coming to MDW? I'd rather use MDW than ORD, but one of the main reasons I use ORD is that they have a skyclub which is nice if there is a delay. I'd use MDW more if they had a club
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
ATL is more important. And there is no centurion lounge.
True - but Delta has their flagship lounge there as well as ATL being a Delta hub and I'm sure there's a bit of a "non-compete" thing going on there.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Skywise
True - but Delta has their flagship lounge there as well as ATL being a Delta hub and I'm sure there's a bit of a "non-compete" thing going on there.
Both Delta and Amex would benefit from additional lounge capacity in ATL from Amex. You will see a similar impact at JFK as the Centurion eases pressure on the SkyClub and increases customer satisfaction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.