Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imnotalawyer
These Centurion Lounges are open. Each has a dedicated discussion thread:

CLT Charlotte (2020)
DEN Denver (2021)
DFW Dallas (2013, Expanded 2018)
HKG Hong Kong (2017)
IAH Houston (2016)
JFK New York, Kennedy (2020)
LAS Las Vegas (2013)
LGA New York, La Guardia (2014, reopened in new Terminal 2021)
LHR London, Heathrow (2021)
MIA Miami (2015, Expanded 2019)
PHL Philadelphia (2017)
PHX Phoenix (2020)
SFO San Francisco (2014)
SEA Seattle (2015, Expanded 2017)

This location is closed due to construction:
LAX Los Angeles (2020)

These locations are announced, but not yet open:
DCA Washington, DC
ATL Atlanta, GA

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was at ORD today, but at the B or C gates. That's the problem with airports like ORD, LAX and JFK. You'd need several Centurion lounges to serve them. The one at DFW is at least accessible by train, but still a pain to get to from the other side of the airport.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:11 am

DCA will have airside

Originally Posted by J.Edward
After the announced IAH Centurion Lounge here's an updated list:
significant airside access (you can walk to mostly any gate from any other gate without having to re-clear security),
somewhat limited airside access (you can walk to some gates but not the majority of gates, without having to re-clear security), and
limited airside access where you cannot walk from one gate to the majority of other gates without having to re-clear security.

I have noted if there's an existing DL hub with multiple SkyClubs and crossed out locations that already have an AX lounge.

mia has also noted the presence of Priority Pass (P) and Airspace (A) lounges:

1. ATL - 46.6; DL hub + SkyClubs P=1
2. LAX - 34.3 P=4
3. DFW - 34.2 P=1
4. ORD - 33.6 P=2
5. JFK - 26.2 P=2, A=1
6. DEN - 26.0 P=0
7. SFO - 22.7 P=0
8. CLT - 21.5 P=0
9. LAS - 20.5 P=2
10. PHX - 20.3 P=1
11. IAH - 19.7 P=1
12. MIA - 19.4 P=2
13. SEA - 17.8 P=3
14. EWR - 17.6 P=1
15. MCO - 17.2 P=0
16. MSP - 16.9; DL hub + SkyClubs P=0
17. DTW - 15.7; DL hub + SkyClubs P=0
18. BOS - 15.4 P=1
19. PHL - 14.7 P=0
20. LGA - 13.4 P=1
26. DCA - 10.0 P=0
DCA in the future will add a new commuter terminal replacing 35x, as part of this change the Grand Hall will be made airside. Once that happens I expect lounge shake-ups/consolidation as well as opportunity for a Centurion lounge - this will be a while so don't hold your breath
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of prospective Los Angeles lounge location moved to more specific thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-upcoming.html
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:14 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by United747
I'm flying out for the holiday on Tuesday, and can pop over to the space they previously had.
I didn't see anything at ORD last night.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: Mariott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lovethoselegs
DCA in the future will add a new commuter terminal replacing 35x, as part of this change the Grand Hall will be made airside. Once that happens I expect lounge shake-ups/consolidation as well as opportunity for a Centurion lounge - this will be a while so don't hold your breath
MSP has a Priority Pass lounge. It was one of the new ones added to PP's network in 2016. The lounge itself only opened last year, and is beautiful.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:49 am
mia

Originally Posted by seacarl
...I think the United Club is also a Priority Pass lounge at SEA....
AA, DL and UA no longer accept Priority Pass at any location.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Not quite 100% true. Some alliance lounges accept Priority Pass. Like the Star Alliance lounge at CDG, the Skyteam lounge at LHR, etc. So effectively if you are flying UA or DL at those respective airports you have access to the lounge of the airline you are flying with.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by mia
Interesting. I know that UA accepts the AS Boardroom card at a number of locations like DCA, MSP, PHX and PHL. UA outstations used to take the Priority Pass, and then I guess Chase made them stop in order to promote the credit card that includes UC access.

Buy my point stands that presence or absence of Priority Pass lounges doesn't seem to factor in Amex's decision to locate Centurion Lounges. In fact, they seem to be going into the AA DL & UA hub cities. My point would be that if they want to be useful to cardholders in LAX there isn't any good way to do it in only one terminal, the distances are too long to make it practical. The same can be said at SFO where they really only useful to UA and *A pax.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
not really. SFO is only accessible via terminal G and the united concourse. so they do not have to have multiple one's set up. same with MIA.
We don't really know Amex's criteria for establishing Centurion Lounges, but given that they partner with DL, and premium Amex cards give you access to DL SkyClub (when flying DL), I would tend to guess that they focus on the markets where other airlines dominate, and in those markets put the lounge where it's accessible to the largest concentration of non-DL flyers.

SFO - UA hub, and the largest set of behind security
SEA - AS hub (DL still only 20-25% of pax, I think) so they can get AS-UA-AA etc.
LAS - accessible to all
IAH - UA hub, accessible to all but closest to UA
DFW - AA hub, accessible to all but closest to AA
MIA - AA hub - located by AA
LGA - accessible to all, located currently by AA and UA

DEN and ORD are two pretty logical places to locate if they can get real estate, as would be EWR and CLT and maybe PHL if my pattern holds. LAX is a challenge to site, but if they go between T6-T7 then they are convenient to UA and AS. IAD it will probably take getting the new concourse built before they locate there! Maybe DCA would make sense in the same mode as LGA.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
[re LGA] and WN

I'd like to see one at DEN. It's an airport completely devoid of lounge access for amex plat holders.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA1K
We don't really know Amex's criteria for establishing Centurion Lounges, but given that they partner with DL, and premium Amex cards give you access to DL SkyClub (when flying DL), I would tend to guess that they focus on the markets where other airlines dominate, and in those markets put the lounge where it's accessible to the largest concentration of non-DL flyers.

SFO - UA hub, and the largest set of behind security
SEA - AS hub (DL still only 20-25% of pax, I think) so they can get AS-UA-AA etc.
LAS - accessible to all
IAH - UA hub, accessible to all but closest to UA
DFW - AA hub, accessible to all but closest to AA
MIA - AA hub - located by AA

DEN and ORD are two pretty logical places to locate if they can get real estate, as would be EWR and CLT and maybe PHL if my pattern holds. LAX is a challenge to site, but if they go between T6-T7 then they are convenient to UA and AS. IAD it will probably take getting the new concourse built before they locate there! Maybe DCA would make sense in the same mode as LGA.
problem with DCA is i do not believe there is any space. IAD they could go into B.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'd like to see one at DEN. It's an airport completely devoid of lounge access for amex plat holders.
I agree, a lounge at DEN would be nice. Although there are UA and AA lounges, Amex gives no access. If they do a lounge, best near the train so they can serve all the concourses (somewhat).
Originally Posted by haddon90
IAD they could go into B.
That doesn't really help if they want to target UA flyers. Plus B already has a lot of lounges, including LH and TK which are quite good and accessible even on domestic *A flights, as well as 2 that take Priority Pass (AF and BA) so a CL would be redundant there.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That doesn't really help if they want to target UA flyers. Plus B already has a lot of lounges, including LH and TK which are quite good and accessible even on domestic *A flights, as well as 2 that take Priority Pass (AF and BA) so a CL would be redundant there.
You are right and I use the BA lounge often with the PP card. But C/D for UA doesn't appear to have any space so perhaps neither IAD is not realistic for a Centurion lounge.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:10 pm
mia

Originally Posted by stimpy
... doesn't appear to have any space so perhaps neither IAD is not realistic for a Centurion lounge.
SPECULATION: If American Express were anxious to extend their domestic lounge network, they could probably buy the lease from a foreign flag carrier, like BA, at an airport where that carrier is operating only a couple of flights per day. Instead of admitting Priority Pass cardholders to generate revenue, BA could walk away with an agreement for their Gold, Club and First passengers to use the Centurion Lounge. Is the IAD space large enough?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
You are right and I use the BA lounge often with the PP card. But C/D for UA doesn't appear to have any space so perhaps neither IAD is not realistic for a Centurion lounge.
They built the train station at the location where the new concourse is supposed to be built - when that's built is when it will make sense for Amex. At the rate Washington airports does anything it will be a decade away. You'd think they'd be embarrassed at the conditions in which their hub airline has to operate.

Originally Posted by mia
SPECULATION: If American Express were anxious to extend their domestic lounge network, they could probably buy the lease from a foreign flag carrier, like BA, at an airport where that carrier is operating only a couple of flights per day. Instead of admitting Priority Pass cardholders to generate revenue, BA could walk away with an agreement for their Gold, Club and First passengers to use the Centurion Lounge. Is the IAD space large enough?
I don't think there's any need for Amex to put a Centurion Lounge in the B gates - it's well-served with lounges, including Priority Pass, and not where it can effectively serve its US cardholders. Needs to be C/D by UA. Whenever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.