Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imnotalawyer
These Centurion Lounges are open. Each has a dedicated discussion thread:

CLT Charlotte (2020)
DEN Denver (2021)
DFW Dallas (2013, Expanded 2018)
HKG Hong Kong (2017)
IAH Houston (2016)
JFK New York, Kennedy (2020)
LAS Las Vegas (2013)
LGA New York, La Guardia (2014, reopened in new Terminal 2021)
LHR London, Heathrow (2021)
MIA Miami (2015, Expanded 2019)
PHL Philadelphia (2017)
PHX Phoenix (2020)
SFO San Francisco (2014)
SEA Seattle (2015, Expanded 2017)

This location is closed due to construction:
LAX Los Angeles (2020)

These locations are announced, but not yet open:
DCA Washington, DC
ATL Atlanta, GA

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
GideonToal may provide the staffing, but Airport Lounge Development Inc. would make the decision where to open other locations.

[The]Club [at RDU] services are operated by Gideon Toal Management Services, Inc. a subcontractor of Airport Lounge Development.
http://www.rduaa.com/feeds/index.php...:2011&Itemid=1
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by United747
If AMEX took over the altitude lounge above SBUX in SDF, I agree, that would be a win for them. There is a lot of money in the Louisville area and I'm sure a lot of AMEX Platinum cards. But I still don't see it happening.

I'm biased too, my largest client is in the SDF area.
That was my thought as well, it would be a perfect location. We can always dream
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
^ Not gonna happen, considering that CO/UA contributed a sizable share of the $$$ to renovate/expand the terminals (namely E & B)
Meh. UA likes to complain and moan about things, but they stay in line. Like the whole WN international expansion at HOU was going to "put T-B in jeopardy" or whatever they said. WN got their terminal approved and UA continued with T-B. If push came to shove, I doubt it would matter. Houston airports cares about rent money, not UAs petty squabbles.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:14 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Wondering if we see a distant future with over 50 lounges? would be cool
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Wondering if we see a distant future with over 50 lounges? would be cool
I think that is highly unlikely. I think that Amex is going to find the business case to scale this "challenging" moving forward.

I could of course be wrong, but we shall see.

Regards
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:54 am
mia

Originally Posted by scubadu
... "challenging"...
At some locations American Express could supplement their income by contracting the lounge to host premium cabin passengers of international airlines which do not have their own lounges.

This is more lucrative than I would have guessed. This article suggests that the (not very special) Club America at Miami International Airport grosses $5 million per year. (Individuals managing the club on contract allegedly siphoned off $2 million over two years by under reporting the number of lounge visits and depositing "20%" of the revenue into private bank accounts.)

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/3...-millions.html
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:11 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Wow i gotta open me a lounge
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:48 pm
mia

I am puzzled that no additional Centurion lounge locations have been announced. Five locations is not going to retain enough cardholders when they eliminate the $200 per year fee subsidy. At the very least I think they must intend to open locations in major markets such as Chicago, Los Angeles and Washington.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:39 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mia
I am puzzled that no additional Centurion lounge locations have been announced. Five locations is not going to retain enough cardholders when they eliminate the $200 per year fee subsidy. At the very least I think they must intend to open locations in major markets such as Chicago, Los Angeles and Washington.
mia: has there been an announcement about the $200/year airline credit I may have missed?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by mia
Five locations is not going to retain enough cardholders when they eliminate the $200 per year fee subsidy.
Where's this coming from?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:09 am
mia

Originally Posted by dw
...announcement about the $200/year airline credit I may have missed?
No, but this cannot be a permanent feature for any issuer. I expect that when the Centurion lounge USA network has been built out the airline fee reimbursement benefit will be withdrawn. It is nothing other than a 44% reduction of the annual fee.

In the interim American Express could tighten up implementation to actually exclude giftcard reimbursements.

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Where's this coming from?
It comes from the fact that the Platinum Card annual fee was $250 when the card was introduced in 1984. Adjusted for inflation it would be $575 today. They will not continue to give us a $200 refund -and- spend millions building a lounge network

Last edited by mia; Oct 23, 2014 at 9:15 am
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by mia
It comes from the fact that the Platinum Card annual fee was $250 when the card was introduced in 1984. Adjusted for inflation it would be $575 today. They will not continue to give us a $200 refund -and- spend millions building a lounge network
I know logic has no place here but doesn't it seem they would ditch Priority Pass instead?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:51 pm
mia

The $200 fee reimbursement was originally introduced to offset CO/UA's decision to end their relationship with American Express. The idea was that American Express would kick-in $200 toward the cost of a United Club membership, and they expanded it to other domestic airlines. This bought them time to devise a solution which was to build their own lounges.

I don't think it costs much for any card issuer to offer Priority Pass. I expect they pay a small amount when the cardholder activates the membership, and a small amount each time a lounge is visited. The domestic USA coverage is so sparse that I cannot see this approaching $200 per account per year, but I could be mistaken.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:53 pm
mia

Wikipost updated to reflect opening of LGA and SFO lounges, plus announcement of the Centurion Studio at Seattle. The Studio locations will be smaller, and apparently will not serve hot food.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by mia
Wikipost updated to reflect opening of LGA and SFO lounges, plus announcement of the Centurion Studio at Seattle. The Studio locations will be smaller, and apparently will not serve hot food.
Love seeing a Centurion option in SEA, though unfortunate it will not serve hot food.. Given that AMEX Plat already comes with Priority Pass (thus free entry to AS Boardroom)... I think the only incentive for AMEX Plats to go here might be the free +1 and if they have better food/drink offerings.

I remember the look on my friend's face (I was feeling the same way) when we first stepped into the LAS Centurion Lounge and sampled the offerings there. Absolutely delighted.

We almost took advantage of a mistake fare to LAS one time just to have lunch in the Centurion Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.