Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imnotalawyer
These Centurion Lounges are open. Each has a dedicated discussion thread:

CLT Charlotte (2020)
DEN Denver (2021)
DFW Dallas (2013, Expanded 2018)
HKG Hong Kong (2017)
IAH Houston (2016)
JFK New York, Kennedy (2020)
LAS Las Vegas (2013)
LGA New York, La Guardia (2014, reopened in new Terminal 2021)
LHR London, Heathrow (2021)
MIA Miami (2015, Expanded 2019)
PHL Philadelphia (2017)
PHX Phoenix (2020)
SFO San Francisco (2014)
SEA Seattle (2015, Expanded 2017)

This location is closed due to construction:
LAX Los Angeles (2020)

These locations are announced, but not yet open:
DCA Washington, DC
ATL Atlanta, GA

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
Anyone know if The Clubs are profitable? If not maybe they would sell to AMEX?
I don't know, but the owners of Priority Pass would not keep them if they were not either making a profit, nor helping Priority Pass make a profit.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
What about SLC. DL should welcome the extra capacity and even consider having an agent staff a desk there to help with irrops. Amex could offer DL a fee per flier on a DL ticket.
And where they put it?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Vasco
There (briefly) was an Amex-branded lounge at YYZ, though I can't remember if it was T1 or T3.
My understanding is that AMEX Plaza Premium lounges are in domestic, transborder, and international sections of T1, and domestic and international sections of T3. Not in transborder section of T3.

These lounges are not as good as most US Centurion lounges, but a lot better than most other US based lounges.

It has been argued in the AC forum whether the Air Canada MLL or these lounges are better.

Link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post22658102

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Apr 6, 2014 at 9:36 am
Old May 6, 2014, 12:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of Centurion Lounge at Miami International Airport has been exported:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ia-future.html
Old May 6, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
We need one in the DC area.
I understand MIA, but I see the lounge being nothing but filled to the brim.
Old May 6, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
I would be so unbelievably happy to get a Centurion lounge in DEN. The current offering is a little lackluster...
Old May 7, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by xcalibir
Got off the phone yesterday with CS and they stated that there will be 5 additional lounges (not including SF and JFK) by the end of this year. He mentioned that 3 of the cities are Philly, Chicago and Miami.

Has anyone heard something similar?
Just picked up a new project in PHL. I would LOVE to have an Amex lounge there.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I wonder what the airlines' responses will be to this. There might be a substantial drop in their club memberships once Amex has lounges in most of the major airports.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dhuey
I wonder what the airlines' responses will be to this. There might be a substantial drop in their club memberships once Amex has lounges in most of the major airports.
Not sure, but three options come to mind after 10 seconds of thinking:

1. Actually improve the airline lounges so they are a competitive product with the Amex lounges.

2. Give up and partner with Amex to allow airline memberships to be used there (or maybe in airports where there is an Amex lounge, but no lounge for that airline/alliance).

3. Keep on keepin' on. Currently, airline-specific lounges are targeted at loyalty travelers. Amex and other independent lounges/programs sell themselves on the "any airline" approach. Perhaps that's enough of a differentiator?

ETA:
While not a Centurion Lounge, here's an interesting example of an independent lounge and airline lounge co-oping a space in SAN.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ay-2014-a.html
Old May 7, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I didn't think that AMEX's plan was to go large scale with these lounges. And even if they did, it is still unlikely they will have the reach in large multi building airports like a JFK, EWR, ORD, IAH, LAX, etc. unless they want to build multiple lounges in certain airports.

The airlines might see a hit, but I don't think it will be severe.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:27 am

Exactly...

Originally Posted by f0xx
We need one in the DC area.
I understand MIA, but I see the lounge being nothing but filled to the brim.
Certainly concur with this one, with the exodus of AA/US from the Platinum Lounge program DCA went from having 4 accessible lounges to one crippled lounge (i.e. a Delta lounge no longer allowing guests). That along with the fact that IAD only has a a BA lounge via Priority Pass (and only available at certain hours), this doesn't seem befitting on the Nations capital.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:52 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
RUMOR: JFK, ATL, & LAX to Get Centurion Lounges?

I hope this is the right place to put this, but I was talking to an agent this evening about adding an AU on my Plat account and he mentioned Centurion lounges will be coming to these airport. If true, that would be pretty cool, but who knows if he is correct.

ETA: The guy was really nice, too. He emailed me his extension so he can be a single point of contact within AMEX. Although he did say that he normally works only with Gold and Plat accounts, and he may only have limited help with my two revolving accounts.

Last edited by United747; Jul 24, 2014 at 10:53 pm Reason: See above
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Avis First

Newark Terminal C would be amazing. The UCs are packed and sub-standard for anyone who has been to a McDonalds or a Blimpie.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bohlia123
Newark Terminal C would be amazing. The UCs are packed and sub-standard for anyone who has been to a McDonalds or a Blimpie.
I agree and it would even make a ton of sense commercially for Amex to a lounge in Terminal C. With the amount of UA irops these days there must be amny pax looking for affordable lounge space which is not affiliated with UA. It would also be a nice way to address the PP select issue w/ UA clubs.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United747
I hope this is the right place to put this, but I was talking to an agent this evening about adding an AU on my Plat account and he mentioned Centurion lounges will be coming to these airport. If true, that would be pretty cool, but who knows if he is correct.

ETA: The guy was really nice, too. He emailed me his extension so he can be a single point of contact within AMEX. Although he did say that he normally works only with Gold and Plat accounts, and he may only have limited help with my two revolving accounts.
JFK and LAX would make sense, and they could do them up real nice as flagships.

I personally would LOVE a Cent Lounge in ATL, but the cynic in me can't see them stomping all over Mrs. Amex's flower garden.

*Mrs. Amex = DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.