Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Lounge CLT (Opened 24 February 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Centurion Lounge CLT (Opened 24 February 2020)

Blogs are reporting that the next AMEX Centurion Lounge will be in CLT.

Looks like the City Council is voting on the following this upcoming Monday:

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc.
Lease
Action:
A. Approve a 10-year lease agreement with American Express Travel Related Services
Company, Inc., and
B. Authorize the City Manager to amend the lease for two, five-year lease extensions
consistent with the purpose for which the agreement was approved.
Staff Resource(s):
Brent Cagle, Aviation
Haley Gentry, Aviation
Explanation
§ The East Terminal Expansion Phase II project is located at the Airport between Concourse D and
Concourse E with an anticipated opening of summer 2019 (Council District 3). The project includes
an upper level containing approximately 13,295 square feet of leasable space.
§ American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. will lease this space for a Centurion
Lounge, which is expected to open in fall 2019
§ This lease includes a one-time payment of $5,000,000 and a minimum of $3,000,000 of on-property
advertising expenditures over the initial 10-year term.
§ The annual rent is $525,701 with a total 10-year lease value of $10,500,000, which includes annual
price adjustments.
Airport Concessions Disadvantaged Business Enterprise
The ACDBE participation goal will be negotiated based on the total expenses of goods and services for the
agreement, not to exceed 50%. American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. has agreed to
utilize certified ACDBE firms in order to meet or exceed the negotiated goal for the duration of this
Agreement. The obligations of both the City and American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc.
under this Agreement shall be subject to the provision of all federal regulations relating to the ACDBE
program.
Fiscal Note
Funding: Aviation’s Operating Budget
Not overly surprised since AMEX has been targeting UA/AA cities since DL flyers are covered by SkyClub access (unfortunately though glad JFK Centurion will be in T4). Don't fly AA much anymore (switched to DL) but still a nice add for any AA flying that does come up since RDU - CLT - XYZ is a frequent routing choice for ex-RDU.

With this addition, seems like ORD/PHX/IAD are the remaining AA/UA hubs that don't have a Centurion Lounge (not considering DCA a hub for AA). ORD continues to be the most surprising gap -- especially since an AMEX Centurion Lounge in T2 area would be fairly easy walking distance for all US airlines at ORD

Last edited by Duke787; Nov 23, 2018 at 1:21 pm
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
As much as I would have loved to see this come to DCA, it's nice to see this come to CLT as well. The Plat lost a lot of value when it lost US Airways Club access, but I'm glad they're filling in some of the void with Cent lounges.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Been shuttling back and forth to CLT the last year, very welcome sight as the AC in B has been closed for renovations and the airport itself is such a nightmare with the crowds. I wonder if they really can get a Centurion Lounge in the next year setup, seems like the entire airport is under construction and never progressing that fast. Also surprised they aren't putting this closer to the new A terminal that has most of the non-AA flights and Delta flights.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

This will help making flying through CLT tolerable. Would be nice to see PHX targeted at some point.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by safari ari
Also surprised they aren't putting this closer to the new A terminal that has most of the non-AA flights and Delta flights.
Well presumably part of the thought process is by putting it in an AA hub near AA gates, they can attract new CLT-based AMEX Plat holders who fly predominantly AA and so up until now have ignored the card because they have no use for the DL SC membership (and have an AA Citi Exec card instead). With thr new lounge they can now look and see Centurion lounges in all major AA hubs except PHX and consider switching to the AMEX Plat instead.

Same reason they ignore DL hubs (sadly) because they already have the SC option for DL FFs with the card in those locations so no need to build a lounge to entice them.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Well presumably part of the thought process is by putting it in an AA hub near AA gates, they can attract new CLT-based AMEX Plat holders who fly predominantly AA and so up until now have ignored the card because they have no use for the DL SC membership (and have an AA Citi Exec card instead). With thr new lounge they can now look and see Centurion lounges in all major AA hubs except PHX and consider switching to the AMEX Plat instead.

Same reason they ignore DL hubs (sadly) because they already have the SC option for DL FFs with the card in those locations so no need to build a lounge to entice them.
Exactly. These lounges are probably as much a marketing tool as they are a cardmember benefit in Amex's eyes.

​​​​​​As shown as well by how much in airport as spend they will commit to. For those that haven't been to SEA there seems to be more square footage of Amex Platinum ads than there is sq ft in the lounge! Lol.

Not that they'd probably ever build one, but can you imagine how large a Centurion Lounge at ATL would have to be?

ORD is definitely a missing link but as I've opined before, the issue is probably a lack of a sizable enough space to build a CL, more so than lack of desire.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:09 pm

ORD is a nightmare for lounges. Basically no priority pass lounge, even the United/AA clubs aren't that good. Only good lounge at ORD is Polaris
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:48 am

Rumor: new centurion lounge in CLT

https://www.thisisinsider.com/amex-c...ge-clt-2018-11

Didn't see this posted so I figured I'd start a thread. Hope it's true! My family lives there so I typically travel between JFK/LGA - CLT a lot.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Not that they'd probably ever build one, but can you imagine how large a Centurion Lounge at ATL would have to be?

ORD is definitely a missing link but as I've opined before, the issue is probably a lack of a sizable enough space to build a CL, more so than lack of desire.
Originally Posted by noahsilv
ORD is a nightmare for lounges. Basically no priority pass lounge, even the United/AA clubs aren't that good. Only good lounge at ORD is Polaris

ATL and ORD, if Amex ever went there would have to be ginormous lounges, I think they know it would be a .... show and have rightfully stayed away. SFO and the older small club in DFW over crowding issues are still fresh, I can't imagine the traffic in/out of a Centurion lounge in ORD or ATL

That said,once this goes into play - Amex has AA covered, i could shift a significant portion of my UA spend to AA (enough to stay EXP) just to have the lounges and just get the $95 credit card instead of the club card
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
With the proposed ORD expansion/renovation, they should be able to negotiate space, especially with the Global Terminal where T2 currently is. Until that is under way, there's no way AMEX has any intention, let alone room, for an ORD Cent lounge.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like this was approved last week:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...222307210.html
mia likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by noahsilv
I've found the AA FL to be pretty good. Is the Polaris lounge that much better, or were you just not considering the AA FL?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Any updates?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Official website updated to say opening "soon":

https://thecenturionlounge.com/locations/CLT/
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Certainly looking forward to the Centurion Lounge opening in my home airport!

Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.