Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imnotalawyer
These Centurion Lounges are open. Each has a dedicated discussion thread:

CLT Charlotte (2020)
DEN Denver (2021)
DFW Dallas (2013, Expanded 2018)
HKG Hong Kong (2017)
IAH Houston (2016)
JFK New York, Kennedy (2020)
LAS Las Vegas (2013)
LGA New York, La Guardia (2014, reopened in new Terminal 2021)
LHR London, Heathrow (2021)
MIA Miami (2015, Expanded 2019)
PHL Philadelphia (2017)
PHX Phoenix (2020)
SFO San Francisco (2014)
SEA Seattle (2015, Expanded 2017)

This location is closed due to construction:
LAX Los Angeles (2020)

These locations are announced, but not yet open:
DCA Washington, DC
ATL Atlanta, GA

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Considering their focus on major AA/UA hubs, ORD would not be a surprise, but I would have expected IAH before PHL.
PHL doesn't have a priority pass lounge, whereas IAH has the KLM lounge, so that might also factor into why PHL over IAH, and possibly why they're building a smaller studio at SEA instead of a larger centurion, as SEA now has 3 priority pass lounges (other than the fact they may not have been able to get a space big enough for a full centurion)
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:00 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Question Rumors / Whispers for Upcoming American Express Centurion Lounge Airport Locations?

Greetings Everyone - this post is pretty much speculation and the title says it all.

Now that SEA has been opened and added to AX's LAS, DWF, LGA, SFO, and MIA locations has anyone heard any rumors or whispers as to what city (or cities) are next on the list?

For 2014 the FAA lists the following statistics for total passenger boardings (in millions) and I have arbitrarily color coded the airports as:
significant airside access (you can walk to mostly any gate from any other gate without having to re-clear security),
somewhat limited airside access (you can walk to some gates but not the majority of gates, without having to re-clear security), and
limited airside access where you cannot walk from one gate to the majority of other gates without having to re-clear security.

Also I have noted if there's an existing DL hub with multiple SkyClubs and crossed out locations that already have an AX lounge.
1. ATL - 46.6; DL hub + SkyClubs
2. LAX - 34.3
3. DFW - 34.2
4. ORD - 33.6
5. JFK - 26.2
6. DEN - 26.0
7. SFO - 22.7
8. CLT - 21.5
9. LAS - 20.5
10. PHX - 20.3
11. IAH - 19.7
12. MIA - 19.4
13. SEA - 17.8
14. EWR - 17.6
15. MCO - 17.2
16. MSP - 16.9; DL hub + SkyClubs
17. DTW - 15.7; DL hub + SkyClubs
18. BOS - 15.4
19. PHL - 14.7
20. LGA - 13.4
26. DCA - 10.0
If we take the top five locations in terms of total passengers, that are well connected airside, and are not Delta hubs (the assumption here is that eligible AX cardholders can use one of the already built SkyClubs), we have the following short-list:
1. ORD
2. DEN
3. CLT
4. IAH
5. PHL
Anyways to be clear - I have no idea as to where AX will build their next location or what additional constraints they have to operate under (e.g. real-estate) but wanted to see if folks had any more insight as to where the next location would be.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting analysis.

Numbers 1 and 2 make good sense. Hubs with well-heeled customers.

3, 4, and 5 seem much less likely to me. I realize that LGA was far down your boardings list, but I think Amex figured they need a location in America's largest city.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
locations has anyone heard any rumors or whispers as to what city (or cities) are next on the list?
I always ask this question to the staff at the other locations. Usually they say ORD or IAH, but I've had one say PHL and another say BOS.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
not Delta hubs (the assumption here is that eligible AX cardholders can use one of the already built SkyClubs)
Only if flying Delta.

It would also be useful to look at the presence of Priority Pass (P) and Airspace (A) lounges:
1. ATL - 46.6; DL hub + SkyClubs P=1
2. LAX - 34.3 P=4
3. DFW - 34.2 P=1
4. ORD - 33.6 P=2
5. JFK - 26.2 P=2, A=1
6. DEN - 26.0 P=0
7. SFO - 22.7 P=0
8. CLT - 21.5 P=0
9. LAS - 20.5 P=2
10. PHX - 20.3 P=1
11. IAH - 19.7 P=1
12. MIA - 19.4 P=2
13. SEA - 17.8 P=3
14. EWR - 17.6 P=1
15. MCO - 17.2 P=0
16. MSP - 16.9; DL hub + SkyClubs P=0
17. DTW - 15.7; DL hub + SkyClubs P=0
18. BOS - 15.4 P=1
19. PHL - 14.7 P=0
20. LGA - 13.4 P=1
26. DCA - 10.0 P=0
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Appreciate your efforts and this perspective! ^^ As an addendum, often turned away at IAH P Lounge (KLM) due to (potential) crowding. Amex would be welcome there.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Nice list. I've really been hoping to see one pop up at CLT. That would make transiting there considerably more tolerable. Plus the airport is in desperate need of some sort of lounge with a shower, same case for PHL.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:08 pm

Is it worthwhile to mark other locations with Skyclubs on that list?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:00 pm

Awesome list, would love to see the Centurion lounge network keep growing to rival the airline lounges.

Would definitely love to see one at IAH. Although I do like the KLM lounge, you would think the airport has enough space and airside connections to accommodate.

Once LAX gets better inter-terminal connections, perhaps they will add one there?? Most likely not the DL terminal, and *maybe* not the UA terminal since they have the SFO location in the UA/S* terminal sooo... maybe the AA terminal? Although they do have one of the nicer AA lounges there.

I can only hope as a SAN flyer that they would add one sometime in the future, however long that may be.... haha. Maybe once they merge all the terminals.

LGA was definitely a head scratcher to me.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:14 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by nall
Is it worthwhile to mark other locations with Skyclubs on that list?
I thought about it (and am glad mia noted alternate club options) but the reason I singled out DL hubs was the high percentage of "captive" customers.

At ATL DL + DL express carried 80% of passengers meaning that 4 out of 5 passengers arrived or departed on a DL flight, thus the requirement of "being on a DL operated flight" to access a SkyClub is not a significant roadblock for ATL.

Said another way the average AX Plat/Centurion card holder already has multiple SkyClubs (and all have access to the the PriorityPass lounge) at ATL. Thus I would suggest AX already has a very comprehensive lounge offering for the majority of their cardholders at ATL.

It's also interesting to note by selecting MIA, DFW (and a rumored PHL and ORD) AX continues to target AA/US hubs.

At PHL you have a large airport, very good airside access, and no lounge option save the DL SkyClub for DL customers who are the minority at PHL. Bottom line: a dedicated centurion lounge would serve the vast majority of the airside airport and give cardholders a lounge option when they would otherwise not have any (excepting DL customers).

ORD also seems like a no brainer: airside access, AA + UA hub, and strong DL presence. What I am curious to with ORD is where they will find the space. The SFO lounge is good but at times can be a victim of its popularity as cardholders flying UA opt to go there and can crowd the facility. I certainly do not have any internal numbers but would assume ORD would be a popular, high-traffic facility and therefore would need a large amount of space to accommodate the demand.

The curve ball with IAH is the airport is about to embark on a major redevelopment of the north side of the terminals B/C/D are being redeveloped on a phased building plan that will ultimately expand D and do away with C north. If AX is pondering setting up a lounge in IAH, this may present an opportunity for them to build out a facility to their spec.

$0.02
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
I can only hope as a SAN flyer that they would add one sometime in the future, however long that may be.... haha. Maybe once they merge all the terminals.
SAN at least has the airspace lounge, though of course that's not the same as the Centurion Lounge
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by steveman518
SAN at least has the airspace lounge, though of course that's not the same as the Centurion Lounge
True! I do enjoy that lounge, I try to make it out there although I'm primarily a UA flyer. That $10 credit gets me a sandwich...
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:35 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
All the AA hubs should get priority...
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by agp423
All the AA hubs should get priority...
As a UA flyer I'm hoping for UA hubs

AA has two (DFW, MIA), share the love!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by JHake10
As a UA flyer I'm hoping for UA hubs

AA has two (DFW, MIA), share the love!
You mean as a UA flyer when their computers aren't broken?

AA has LGA as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.