Last edit by: mia

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge JFK T-4 [Open 9 October 2020]

Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Centurion Lounge JFK T-4 [Open 9 October 2020]

Once again TPG got the beat on a new Centurion Lounge. Looks like one is finally coming to JFK and will be in T4.

Interesting choice since anyone with the Plat already has access to the DL SC or the Wingtips (via PP). Nonetheless I'm happy since I fly DL through JFK frequently and this provides a lounge with free guest access when traveling with others vs the SC which is $29/per

Link: https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/ame...ion-lounge-jfk
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Interesting choice since anyone with the Plat already has access to the DL SC or the Wingtips (via PP)
Same thought. It makes sense that they'd want one at JFK for marketing/visibility reasons. Won't be a highly used lounge for me since LGA and EWR still have most of the flights from IAH, but always good to have more options.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:14 am

It will be interesting to see what AMEX decides on hours of operation, given that there will be some T4 flights leaving around midnight or shortly thereafter.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:39 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The hours are different at each location, I expect they will accommodate the late departures:

DFW 05:30 - 22:00
HKG 05:30 - 00:30
IAH 05:30 - 21:00
LAS 05:00 - 23:00
LGA 05:30 - 20:00 (18:30 on Saturdays)
PHL 05:00 - 21:00
MIA 05:00 - 23:00
SEA 05:00 - 22:00
SFO 05:00 - 23:00
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
It will be interesting to see what AMEX decides on hours of operation, given that there will be some T4 flights leaving around midnight or shortly thereafter.
The cost of paying DL and PP for late night entries v the cost of staying open later should make this a simple math equation.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
How easy will it be for pax flying out of other terminals to access this CL?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by transportprof
Bordering on impossible unless you're flying Delta out of Terminal 2, in which case you can potentially ride the Jitney over from T2 -> T4 (but that's hit or miss, sometimes you're required to show your BP and it's got to be for a flight out of T4). Otherwise, I don't believe the TSA will let you in the wrong terminal, as they're all owned by different companies and not linked post-security in the slightest.

This is probably a combination of marketing and paying DL less for all of their pax to get into the SC. My worst fear is that this is the beginning of the end of DL SC access, which would truly be dreadful.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:20 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by manacit
My worst fear is that this is the beginning of the end of DL SC access, which would truly be dreadful.
Doubtful given DL’s relationship with AMEX and the fact that premium AMEX cardholders (AMEX cardholders on average have higher disposable income than premium cardholders from other financial institutions) are the customers that DL wants to sway their bookings to DL. The SkyClub access is a very cheap (for DL) and attractive way to do so plus keeps AMEX close to DL.

Your will notice other banks provide credit cards to multiple airlines but AMEX only does DL... Exclusivity is something that DL loves, albeit a bit too much, and by ending SkyClub access to AMEX premium card holders will go against all of that.

Possible this will end, yes, but I am doubtful.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:17 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by manacit
Bordering on impossible unless you're flying Delta out of Terminal 2, in which case you can potentially ride the Jitney over from T2 -> T4 (but that's hit or miss, sometimes you're required to show your BP and it's got to be for a flight out of T4). Otherwise, I don't believe the TSA will let you in the wrong terminal, as they're all owned by different companies and not linked post-security in the slightest.

This is probably a combination of marketing and paying DL less for all of their pax to get into the SC. My worst fear is that this is the beginning of the end of DL SC access, which would truly be dreadful.
I don't know if the TSA at JFK behaves appropriately, but it is official TSA policy that you can enter any terminal with a same-day boarding pass (this is used by some at SFO to gain access to the Centurion Lounge there if not flying UA).

That said, security at JFK T4 can be an absolute madhouse, and getting between terminals requires a bit of time, so in most cases it is probably not going to be worth trying to use this lounge if you're flying out of another terminal. (And with the AS lounge coming to T7, the only lounge at JFK that will offer no Amex Platinum lounge access at all is T8, though granted many of the lounges that Amex Plat does get you into at JFK are not that great.)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Last October I flew through JFK on VX (terminal 7) and I was able to access the Wingtips Lounge in Terminal 4 during my layover....tried for the AF lounge, but got rejected without having a boarding pass for whatever terminal that was in. It seems like they are more permissive in terminal 4. With that said, Centurion Lounges in airport with multiple, separated terminals that (unlike LAX) don't always provide access without flying out that terminal seems odd....I can think of other airports that seem to be in more desperate need of a Centurion Lounge....DEN is always one of the first that comes to mind....with CLT not far behind.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Duke787

Interesting choice since anyone with the Plat already has access to the DL SC or the Wingtips (via PP). Nonetheless I'm happy since I fly DL through JFK frequently and this provides a lounge with free guest access when traveling with others vs the SC which is $29/per
It might just be the times I'm flying, but I've been virtually unable to get into the Wingtips Lounge via PP for the past year or two. They seem to be constantly having crowding issues. The T4 SkyClub is nice when I'm flying Delta, but so many international airlines leave from T4 it's nice to have another option that hopefully has space.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I can think of other airports that seem to be in more desperate need of a Centurion Lounge....DEN is always one of the first that comes to mind...
DEN is in desperate need of any new lounge, with the continuing growth they are seeing, and the expected expansion of the airport, I would gladly take a Centurion let alone a PP, issue is space, the DL and AA lounges in A are quite small, UA has two lounges in B and even they fill up, and of course they are the major player in DEN for legacy airlines. The last place I can think of that has space would be in C, but that is filled out by WN, AS and the LCCs. Not that it is much of a schlep from there, but would they want to put it in that pier? Considering the biggest issue of Centurion lounges is space, I am not sure currently where they could fit it. Maybe when they start the terminal expansions they'll allocate more space to lounges or allow them to build on top of the current terminal space.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
is it airside or landside? wingtips lounge used to be landside before the renovation.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:11 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by pbd456
is it airside or landside? wingtips lounge used to be landside before the renovation.
The pictures would suggest airside, as all of the T4 lounges are nowadays. I don't think there's really anywhere to put it landside since the renovations.

Landside might be marginally helpful for people departing from other terminals to use it, but that seems to me to be outweighed by the fact that it would still be very inconvenient for people departing from other terminals who had checked bags, and the fact that most of the terminals at JFK can have long and unpredictable security wait times, so it would be hard for me at least to relax in a lounge knowing a security gauntlet still awaited me.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:17 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The lounge will be located post-security on the 4th floor Departures level of Terminal 4
Press release here:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...N%C2%AE-Lounge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.