Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imnotalawyer
These Centurion Lounges are open. Each has a dedicated discussion thread:

CLT Charlotte (2020)
DEN Denver (2021)
DFW Dallas (2013, Expanded 2018)
HKG Hong Kong (2017)
IAH Houston (2016)
JFK New York, Kennedy (2020)
LAS Las Vegas (2013)
LGA New York, La Guardia (2014, reopened in new Terminal 2021)
LHR London, Heathrow (2021)
MIA Miami (2015, Expanded 2019)
PHL Philadelphia (2017)
PHX Phoenix (2020)
SFO San Francisco (2014)
SEA Seattle (2015, Expanded 2017)

This location is closed due to construction:
LAX Los Angeles (2020)

These locations are announced, but not yet open:
DCA Washington, DC
ATL Atlanta, GA

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:44 pm
Used to be hamajicky

While I doubt it will happen (especially since the Club at ATL in Terminal F is available with priority pass), I'd love to see a Centurion Club in ATL.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by Centurion
I doubt PHX will get a Centurion club. It would have to be plural as in clubs. Have you looked at PHX terminal map layout? The same goes for LAX
My guess is, if they were to put one here in PHX, that it would be outside of security do to all of the concourses. Not an ideal situation.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Has anyone analyzed overlaps between the AA and US club networks to identify airports where a lounge is likely to be closed? This could free up space.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:05 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mia
Has anyone analyzed overlaps between the AA and US club networks to identify airports where a lounge is likely to be closed? This could free up space.
There is actually very little overlap:

BOS: Same terminal but in different concourses; not sure how they are going to consolidate ops at BOS

LAX: US Club will be closing soon with the move from Terminal 1; however Terminal 1 is mostly WN

LGA: Different terminals; no word yet on what plans (if any) to consolidate ops at LGA

PHL: The Admirals Club is currently operated jointly with BA; may become BA only

RDU: (Not familiar with the setup at this airport)

DCA: I assume one of the adjacent clubs in B will close
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
New Centurion Lounge Location Rumors

Regarding the comments on DCA, I suspect a lot will depend on consolidation. If they keep flights out of both terminals, they would have to create access inside security among the terminals to close one of the two. It doesn't seem the vacated lounge would have much value as it would be inaccessible to the other terminals.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by dw
LGA: Different terminals; no word yet on what plans (if any) to consolidate ops at LGA
LGA is a Delta hub, right? With lounge options directly accessible with an Amex card, why would they have the overlap with their own lounge?

Better to target those hubs and locations that are strong with AA & United - those airlines affiliated with competing financial institutions.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
PHL has the following:

US B/C
US A (old Envoy)
BA Galleries (shared with AA)

I can imagine some consolidation of the two A clubs, provided that BA is on board. They can probably all save some money by combining into, say, the large Envoy space (my gut says the current Galleries lounge would be too small for the combined traffic).

Otherwise, I'm not sure if there's spare space in A/B/C - Amex might need to build out, but it'd be an opportunity to do something with a patio/balcony on the upper level.

At PHL, if they build it pre-security or in D/E/F, they might as well not build it at all. DL already has a club in D, and don't any of you pretend like you've ever been in PHL Terminal E.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Spoddy
LGA is a Delta hub, right? With lounge options directly accessible with an Amex card, why would they have the overlap with their own lounge?

Better to target those hubs and locations that are strong with AA & United - those airlines affiliated with competing financial institutions.
For the non-Delta (Central) terminal that serves all other airlines. It's actually already been semi-confirmed that this is going to be the next one along with SFO. And honestly, it makes perfect sense -- lounges outside security are the norm in that terminal and it will effectively serve all non-DL customers (and leave DL customers with the 2 SkyClubs)
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Sounds like AMEX is going to be aggressive in 2014 to open Centurion Clubs

LAS, DFW open
LGA, SFO soon
rumor: Philly, Chicago and Miami.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by dw
There is actually very little overlap:

BOS: Same terminal but in different concourses; not sure how they are going to consolidate ops at BOS

LAX: US Club will be closing soon with the move from Terminal 1; however Terminal 1 is mostly WN

PHL: The Admirals Club is currently operated jointly with BA; may become BA only

RDU: (Not familiar with the setup at this airport)

DCA: I assume one of the adjacent clubs in B will close
At BOS, construction is under way for a consolidated security and ticketing area that will basically connect the two sides of B terminal at one end. I believe that's the plan to consolidate ops. No idea if they're building enough space for a lounge behind security, or if the connector itself will provide a convenient walkway to the existing clubs.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:12 pm

Location: DTW Metro Detroit AKA The Motor City AKA Motown AKA BANKRUPT
Programs: Amex Plat, Amex Delta Reserve, Visa Black, Delta Plat FF, SPG Gold, HH Gold, TR Diamond
Well it will not be coming to Delta's DTW terminal.
They just released their upcoming remodel with all new stores etc and no Centurion club listed. Kinda surprised with what a big business gateway it is and as many flights to Europe and Asia go from here.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by WatchTimes
Well it will not be coming to Delta's DTW terminal.
They just released their upcoming remodel with all new stores etc and no Centurion club listed. Kinda surprised with what a big business gateway it is and as many flights to Europe and Asia go from here.
I don't think Amex is as concerned with locating clubs where DL already has them. Platinum still gets you into the DL lounges, albeit without guests now. If I had to guess based on the chatter I've seen online, the DL no guest issue is far less severe an impact on the cardholder base than the loss of AA/US clubs.

That said, Amex lounges are generally huge, and space in airports is at a premium, so I am kind of surprised that they aren't jumping on remodel/expansion projects at hubs. It's a slow rollout, though.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Any updates on the MIA rumour??
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
What about SLC. DL should welcome the extra capacity and even consider having an agent staff a desk there to help with irrops. Amex could offer DL a fee per flier on a DL ticket.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Chalky White
While I doubt it will happen (especially since the Club at ATL in Terminal F is available with priority pass), I'd love to see a Centurion Club in ATL.
Anyone know if The Clubs are profitable? If not maybe they would sell to AMEX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.