Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imnotalawyer
These Centurion Lounges are open. Each has a dedicated discussion thread:

CLT Charlotte (2020)
DEN Denver (2021)
DFW Dallas (2013, Expanded 2018)
HKG Hong Kong (2017)
IAH Houston (2016)
JFK New York, Kennedy (2020)
LAS Las Vegas (2013)
LGA New York, La Guardia (2014, reopened in new Terminal 2021)
LHR London, Heathrow (2021)
MIA Miami (2015, Expanded 2019)
PHL Philadelphia (2017)
PHX Phoenix (2020)
SFO San Francisco (2014)
SEA Seattle (2015, Expanded 2017)

This location is closed due to construction:
LAX Los Angeles (2020)

These locations are announced, but not yet open:
DCA Washington, DC
ATL Atlanta, GA

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounges [USA] - Location wishlist, rumors and speculation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm surprised there isn't one at Heathrow...
There is one under construction: Centurion Lounge LHR T3 (Opening delayed until 2021)

Coca Cola does not use the Diet Coke brand in France.

Last edited by mia; Apr 9, 2021 at 9:40 am
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:44 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Last I counted, there are about 35 UA lounges in USA. I think there are only about 13 active AmEx Centurion lounges in USA.

Not sure about the ratio of AmEx Platinum cardholders vs United Club Infinite cardholders. I think it is lopsided toward AmEx.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mia
There is one under construction: Centurion Lounge LHR T3 (Opening delayed until 2021)

Coca Cola does not use the Diet Coke brand in France.
I never use T3 out of LHR but not a big deal since the Virgin Clubhouse is one of the nicer clubs I've been in.

The AF lounge didn't have coke light or Coke Zero either. No diet soda at all last time I flew out of CDG. Surprised Airfrance doesn't have a nice lounge at CDG, or at least the one Delta passengers use.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:07 pm
mia

I never use T3 out of LHR but not a big deal since the Virgin Clubhouse is one of the nicer clubs I've been in.
The Virgin Clubhouse is also in T3, but I believe that terminal is currently closed due to pandemic.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by CLT
I feel like Toronto would make sense on paper although the nature of operations there in regards to so many Terminal areas (T1 Domestic/T1 International/T1 Transborder, T3 Domestic/T3 International/T3 Transborder) would probably preclude Amex from opening a lounge at Pearson.
What about Vancouver? It has extensive links to major Asian cities.

I'm surprised there isn't one at Heathrow or CDG. LHR would probably be hard because Toronto you have so many terminals and there are already plenty of PP lounges and Virgin's clubhouse is great in T4. I hate the airfrance lounge at CDG for Delta flights, they didn't even have diet coke last time I was there and would love another alternative there.
AMEX is building a CL at LHR. I think it'll open later this year.

Last edited by mia; Apr 9, 2021 at 1:39 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
My wish list is Tokyo HND, since prior to ANA joining priority pass there are no non alliance clubs there and while my newly minted OWE via AS is nice, I’m not sure I’ll have elite status with As forever not will I always fly JAL
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
My wish list is Tokyo HND, since prior to ANA joining priority pass there are no non alliance clubs there and while my newly minted OWE via AS is nice, I’m not sure I’ll have elite status with As forever not will I always fly JAL
I agree. The problem with the alliance lounges is that I have the fly with them same-day in order to access them. Tokyo HND definitely need something like a Centurion Lounge.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:12 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by lsquare
What about Vancouver? It has extensive links to major Asian cities.
It still doesn't make sense. Yes there are extensive links to Asian cities but putting a CL in the international departures area of YVR isolates the lounge from US and Canadian domestic traffic.
krazykanuck and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 5:27 am

I'd love to see lounges at Baltimore and MDW since there is no PP or Skyclub options at all. Don't see MDW happening since most of the flights are Southwest though.
There is one at BWI as another poster noted. There is (was?) also one under construction at MDW but it appears to have been delayed indefinitely:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sout...te-2020-a.html
Old Jun 3, 2021, 8:59 am

In an interesting blurb from this TPG article on the apparent upcoming Chase lounge, it seems that Amex had lodged a proposal for a Centurion Lounge in Boston at Logan but lost out.

In October 2020, Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport), the entity that owns and operates Logan, received four proposals from lounge operators. Those proposals came from American Express (Centurion Lounge), Plaza Premium Group (Capital One Lounge), TAV America Operations Services (Primeclass Lounge) and Airport Dimensions (Chase Sapphire Lounge).
Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:12 am
mia

Each operator was evaluated on four criteria: capital investment; rent; a diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) plan; and the term of the lease.
If part of the DE&I evaluation was lounge access for the general public, American Express would be at a disadvantage because they only admit Centurion and Platinum cardholders. They skirted this issue in PHX by doing a joint proposal with Escape.
SPN Lifer and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mia
If part of the DE&I evaluation was lounge access for the general public, American Express would be at a disadvantage because they only admit Centurion and Platinum cardholders. They skirted this issue in PHX by doing a joint proposal with Escape.
How does Chase get around this?

This is a weird criteria for an airport lounge because a significant factor of what makes a lounge good is the ability to exclude the general public making it a more private experience. A lounge that's open to everyone in the terminal is essentially a useless proposition.
dw, SPN Lifer, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:18 am
mia

Originally Posted by cmd320
The are accepting Priority Pass and selling daypasses.
SPN Lifer, cmd320 and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a weird criteria for an airport lounge because a significant factor of what makes a lounge good is the ability to exclude the general public making it a more private experience. A lounge that's open to everyone in the terminal is essentially a useless proposition.
I couldn't agree more.
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:19 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K

Originally Posted by lsquare
I couldn't agree more.
My guess is it’s more to do with the actual building of the the lounge - sourcing, procurement, etc.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.