Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances
Avis/Budget, Grubhub credits
  • these typically post to your account when your statement closes
Lyft credits
  • per the T&C, "An “Eligible Ride” is any Lyft ride type, excluding business rides and bicycle and scooter rental rides."
  • credits are applied to your Lyft account, not your Citi account
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Whats The Points
Do you need to open (or PC to) AA exec card before hitting 50k LPs to realize the 10k bonus? I’m holding off getting it till I know I’ll be able to organically get that many LPs since not planning to fly much this year and don’t really need Admirals club access
Nope. We got ours last year after we had passed 90K and got both bonuses on subsequent activity.

Cheers. .
mikeFT likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Now the wait begins... My February CC statement arrived. I have enough spend prior to 2/29 to get to PlatPro, so we'll when (it should if I understand correctly) or if (this is AA IT we're talking about.) Not that it affects anything for me. I buy F/J, have the Executive card for AC access... not sure what advantages PlatPro has over Platinum, especially since I don't have any European trips on the books for this year, so OW Emerald won't come in handy.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by iplaybass
I buy F/J, have the Executive card for AC access... not sure what advantages PlatPro has over Platinum
PPro earns an additional RDM (& LP) per $ on flight activity compared to Plat.
iplaybass likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Cancelled card 30 days ago; want it back

Because of the increased annual fee and authorized user fee, I decided to cancel this card about a month ago before my next actual fee. However, I'm kind of missing the Admiral's Club benefits with some unexpected business trips coming up.

I'm under the Citi 8/65 rule and I previously held the card for 6 years, so it has been a long time since I applied for the card and received the sign on bonus. Will Citi have an issue with me trying to apply for that card again after closing it about a month ago? And would I be eligible for the sign on bonus since it's been 6 or 7 years since originally opening that card? Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SNNtraveler
I'm under the Citi 8/65 rule and I previously held the card for 6 years, so it has been a long time since I applied for the card and received the sign on bonus. Will Citi have an issue with me trying to apply for that card again after closing it about a month ago? And would I be eligible for the sign on bonus since it's been 6 or 7 years since originally opening that card? Thanks!
The current Citi rules for receiving sign up bonuses has nothing to do with having the card previously or closing the account. You are eligible as long as you did not receive a sign up bonus for that specific card within the past 48 months.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:03 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Because of the increased annual fee and authorized user fee, I decided to cancel this card about a month ago before my next actual fee. However, I'm kind of missing the Admiral's Club benefits with some unexpected business trips coming up.

I'm under the Citi 8/65 rule and I previously held the card for 6 years, so it has been a long time since I applied for the card and received the sign on bonus. Will Citi have an issue with me trying to apply for that card again after closing it about a month ago?
I don't know know about Citi, but fwiw there have been reports that Chase, in similar circumstances (account closed approx 30 days or less), has simply re-opened the old account rather than treating it aa a new account eligible for a SUB. Perhaps someone here has direct experience with Citi though.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
I don't know know about Citi, but fwiw there have been reports that Chase, in similar circumstances (account closed approx 30 days or less), has simply re-opened the old account rather than treating it aa a new account eligible for a SUB. Perhaps someone here has direct experience with Citi though.
Yeah, that's what I'm kind of curious about. Ultimately, I want the Admiral's Club benefit back, but if I can take advantage of the SUB, even better.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Yeah, that's what I'm kind of curious about. Ultimately, I want the Admiral's Club benefit back, but if I can take advantage of the SUB, even better.
As I wrote above, you do not need to close up an old Citi credit card account in order to be eligible for a sign up bonus. All that is needed is for 48 months to pass since the previous sign up bonus was received for the same type of card.
renila likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:37 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by TWA884
As I wrote above, you do not need to close up an old Citi credit card account in order to be eligible for a sign up bonus. All that is needed is for 48 months to pass since the previous sign up bonus was received for the same type of card.
I understood the OP's question to be two-fold: (1) will Citi permit him to open a new card given that he's just cancelled the identical card?; and (2) if so, will he be eligible for a SUB? To confirm, are you saying that the answer to both questions is yes? Or just question #2?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:41 am

I understood the OP's question to be two-fold: (1) will Citi permit him to open a new card given that he's just cancelled the identical card?; and (2) if so, will he be eligible for a SUB? To confirm, are you saying that the answer to both questions is yes? Or just question #2?
That's correct, thank you. It sounds like I'd be eligible for the SUB. But I don't want to apply now, a month after I cancelled, if there are data points from other customers that show they will deny me.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP
You can hold two of the same Citi AAdvantage cards at the same time (I've done it with AAdvantage Platinum WEMC), and get the SUB on the new one if otherwise eligible, so I don't know why they'd care if you had recently closed one.

If you can get them to reopen the closed card, then immediately PC it to a Custom Cash or something else. Keep that account age running. But then apply for the Executive card again, and get the SUB on that one.
renila, TWA884 and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:05 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
My March miles for the Citi Executive AA MasterCard just posted, but strangely I was posted only base/award miles, all of the Loyalty Points that should have posted did not appear at all..... (so zero LPs awarded). Is this something others have encountered...? wondering if I need to call AA or Citibank to follow up... (?)

Thanks !!
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
My March miles for the Citi Executive AA MasterCard just posted, but strangely I was posted only base/award miles, all of the Loyalty Points that should have posted did not appear at all..... (so zero LPs awarded). Is this something others have encountered...? wondering if I need to call AA or Citibank to follow up... (?)

Thanks !!
Alex / Gaucho100K
Yes. It is normal (now) for March statements. The LP's will post eventually but AA is splitting out Feb and Mar charges so that Feb will count towards last year's qualification while Mar will count towards this year's qualification. There is lots of discussion below (and in the seemingly daily new threads that folks have been starting asking the same question).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...le-2024-a.html
AAway and TWA884 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes. It is normal (now) for March statements.
I wonder how many calls Citi/Barclays/AA get for this from concerned cardholders. If I just had a single LP for every time this was now asked here on FT alone, I would be half way to Gold status (assuming it qualified for the 30% bonus)

I suspect AA will not repeat this experiment next year.
TheDudeAbides and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 1:24 pm

Will a Citi World Executive card authorized user be permitted entry on their own into the Alaska Lounges in Seattle and Portland?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.