Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances.
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:55 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Posts: 493
Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

My Admirals club membership is expiring soon. I'm considering getting the Citi AAdvantage credit card as it's $450 fee is less than the price to renew the AC.
AA keeps sending me emails saying I could get a prorated refund for the last few months of the AC membership.
Admirals club seems straight forward. Same entrance requirements as I have now but with the added benefit of adding authorized users who also have AC access

It seems like a no brainer but I have a couple of questions based on the benefits of the card with regards to Priority boarding-
- Says Group 4 boarding. Being Platinum, I should get Group 3. Does the 'system' know I get Group 3 or will I be relegated to Group 4.
- All my business flights are booked via a company site and company direct billing thus I won't use this card to book my flights. Does this affect your boarding group? Do you need to use this card to book your flights? In all likely hood I would use my Chase Reserve card to book any personal flights. I'm thinking ahead too for when I retire and/or don't have Plat status.
- Any reason not to get this card and just renew the AC?

Thanks
BMWMOT is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:00 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,620
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
My Admirals club membership is expiring soon. I'm considering getting the Citi AAdvantage credit card as it's $450 fee is less than the price to renew the AC.
AA keeps sending me emails saying I could get a prorated refund for the last few months of the AC membership.
Admirals club seems straight forward. Same entrance requirements as I have now but with the added benefit of adding authorized users who also have AC access

It seems like a no brainer but I have a couple of questions based on the benefits of the card with regards to Priority boarding-
- Says Group 4 boarding. Being Platinum, I should get Group 3. Does the 'system' know I get Group 3 or will I be relegated to Group 4.
- All my business flights are booked via a company site and company direct billing thus I won't use this card to book my flights. Does this affect your boarding group? Do you need to use this card to book your flights? In all likely hood I would use my Chase Reserve card to book any personal flights. I'm thinking ahead too for when I retire and/or don't have Plat status.
- Any reason not to get this card and just renew the AC?

Thanks
Your elite status boarding group trumps whatever group you get via a credit card. So if you're PLT, you'll be in Group 3 as long as your AA# is in the reservation.

Same with booking the flights, you do not need to use the card to book the flights to gain any benefits. Your boarding group is always tied to your AA#, doesn't matter where you book it or who pays for it, as long as your AA# is in the reservation it will see the PLT status and give you group 3 boarding.

No reason not to get it vs. normal AC membership, make sure you sign up for a decent sign up offer (typically 50-60k bonus miles after a certain spend).
JJeffrey is online now  
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:20 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 254
Its also worth noting youll get 10,000 EQM for $40,000 annual spend, which could help bump you up in status.
sambagrrl07 is online now  
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:03 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Posts: 493
Thanks all.
Just signed up for the card. The emails I was getting again, noted that I may be eligible for a prorated refund of my AC membership if I have at least 60 days left (I do) on my membership. Does anyone know how that gets refunded to me? Is a credit on my new Citi credit card statement? With 60+ days left on my membership, I should get $80-90 refund.
If the credit comes from Citi, it would reduce my $450 fee by $80-90.
BMWMOT is offline  
Old May 14, 2021, 8:25 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Posts: 520
Quick question on the Citi Exec card. If I lock the card via the Citi site, will my authorized users still be able to use the card to access the lounge? I seem to remember when the AU uses the card, the lounge agent swipes the card to make sure it is valid. I'd like to keep the card perpetually locked but not sure if that will make it so my AUs can't access the lounge.

Thanks much
chicago747 is offline  
Old May 14, 2021, 9:37 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: NYC/PHX
Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Does anyone know how that gets refunded to me? Is a credit on my new Citi credit card statement?
When my company provided me with an AAirpass, AA sent me a check for the partial dues refund, but that was a few years back. I'd speculate that AA will first try to refund on the card used to pay for the membership, but ultimately you may end up with a check.
NYC Flyer is offline  
Old May 14, 2021, 5:35 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Chicago
Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 718
Originally Posted by chicago747
Quick question on the Citi Exec card. If I lock the card via the Citi site, will my authorized users still be able to use the card to access the lounge? I seem to remember when the AU uses the card, the lounge agent swipes the card to make sure it is valid. I'd like to keep the card perpetually locked but not sure if that will make it so my AUs can't access the lounge.

Thanks much
I'm inclined to say no since they are not charing the card a $1 see if it works, they are verifying if that person at that time is an AU but I would highly recommend calling Citi. Once you press "0" 45 times you will get to an agent and they are generally helpful since this is a "premium card." One time my AU card did not show up in time for an AUs flight because they sent it to the wrong address, and gave me a $100 statement credit (the cost of two one day passes) and 5K miles.
AAdamE is offline  
Old May 15, 2021, 7:05 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,620
Originally Posted by chicago747
Quick question on the Citi Exec card. If I lock the card via the Citi site, will my authorized users still be able to use the card to access the lounge? I seem to remember when the AU uses the card, the lounge agent swipes the card to make sure it is valid. I'd like to keep the card perpetually locked but not sure if that will make it so my AUs can't access the lounge.

Thanks much
I would just call Citi and ask, or at least ask over in the Citi forum.
JJeffrey is online now  
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:03 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans (MSY)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,617
Just called to close my Citi AA Exec card, as they've virtually gutted the benefits (i.e. travel delay protection) over the years.

To my surprise, Citi made no effort to retain business despite my holding the card for ~7 years - there were zero retention offers. They did not offer the option to convert to a free card, either.

Overall, the cancellation experience was painless. It seems that Citi is not particularly interested in maintaining these cards, though.
Snuggs likes this.
brewdog11 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:07 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 30,065
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Just called to close my Citi AA Exec card, as they've virtually gutted the benefits (i.e. travel delay protection) over the years.

To my surprise, Citi made no effort to retain business despite my holding the card for ~7 years - there were zero retention offers. They did not offer the option to convert to a free card, either.

Overall, the cancellation experience was painless. It seems that Citi is not particularly interested in maintaining these cards, though.
I just keep my exec card for one reason and that's reduced admiral's club membership cost. The card itself is merely a shell of what it used to be when it dropped all the travel protection benefits.
enviroian is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2021, 5:26 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Verdi, NV, SFO & Olympic (aka Squaw )Valley.
Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Posts: 3,834
Originally Posted by enviroian
I just keep my exec card for one reason and that's reduced admiral's club membership cost. The card itself is merely a shell of what it used to be when it dropped all the travel protection benefits.
As someone who has the analogous United Presidential Plus card, it seems like my other premium credit cards have added value while the lounge credit card seems less valuable.

Also---depending on your preferred airport you might prefer Amex + Priority Pass + Escape + etc. lounges to Admirals Clubs. (Although it'd be hard for me to fly AA without those great AAngels.)
worldwidedreamer is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:00 pm
  #12  
S80
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: ORD/LHR
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,371
Originally Posted by enviroian
I just keep my exec card for one reason and that's reduced admiral's club membership cost. The card itself is merely a shell of what it used to be when it dropped all the travel protection benefits.
I'm in the exact same boat, I keep the card for the club, but put flights on a card with travel protection benefits. The AAngels (and EXP desk) can help me avoid having to use the benefits, but the benefits are there if needed.
S80 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:45 pm
  #13  
abk
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stl
Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Posts: 3,091
I tried to get a retention offer a couple of months ago and they could have cared less. I view the card as an Admirals club membership and nothing else. Now that my AA mileage balance is down to 1350 miles I will keep it for the handful of AA trips I take and for my kids until I get tired of paying or everyone moves to Delta (amex plat) or WN.
abk is offline  
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:32 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,037
Originally Posted by enviroian
I just keep my exec card for one reason and that's reduced admiral's club membership cost. The card itself is merely a shell of what it used to be when it dropped all the travel protection benefits.
Agree. I have 5 family members with my card. Only really used for lounge access. The AF pays for itself for that purpose.
sdix is offline  
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:36 am
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 30,065
Originally Posted by sdix
Agree. I have 5 family members with my card. Only really used for lounge access. The AF pays for itself for that purpose.
Speaking of reduced lounge access cost we all know that is probably going to increase probably sometime in the near future and when it does come up to the gate rate price of normal membership you will see a mass exodus of card cancellations.
enviroian is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.