Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances.
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Rd3
Citi is horrible--was approved for this card over 2 weeks ago, card was mailed same day 'allegedly', never received, now a new card has been sent because I haven't received the card, and they won't send it overnight even if I wanted to pay for it.
Is there anyway I can get into the AC without the card for my flight Saturday, as I haven't received it yet?
Yes, if you have it properly linked to your Aadvantage account, the lounge attendants want your boarding pass, not your card. Card is only needed for authorized users.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Rd3
Citi is horrible--was approved for this card over 2 weeks ago, card was mailed same day 'allegedly', never received, now a new card has been sent because I haven't received the card, and they won't send it overnight even if I wanted to pay for it.
Is there anyway I can get into the AC without the card for my flight Saturday, as I haven't received it yet?
Your AAdvantage number should be sufficient.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 4:09 pm
Suspended

I really enjoy our Citi AA Executive card. It’s easy, straightforward and all our spend (minus Costco) go on the card. Everything - Bills and all daily spending.

We are simpletons and it works. We rack up the AA miles, then use them for QR Business Class. We also enjoy the lounge before our flights. It’s certainly not everyone cup of tea, but we do like it.

We burned a hole in it recently in South Africa 🇿🇦 with no issues, whatsoever.
MikeDLA likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 5:02 pm

Sorry to say that I'll be dropping this card when it comes up for renewal next month. I got this card specifically for the AC lounge membership when the LAX Centurion was "temporarily closed" for 2 years, but I did get the bonus 10k LP after spending $40k.I called retention hoping for a solid offer but it was $20 month for 6 months which is unfortunately not good enough. Now that LAX Centurion is open (and the PHL has been opened almost the entire time), I paid the extra $245/annually for an Amex Platinum, got 150k sign up bonus which value much higher then AA miles, some other perks I don't care about, and use the Centurion Lounge which is significantly better then AC's.

I am keeping my AA Platinum select though, $95 annual fee, but retention offered me $99 credit if I spent "X" dollars; also provides 2x on meals and gas which the Executive doesn't have. Lesson learned, even if you're keeping your card, always always always call retention annually as it costs you nothing to do so, and you almost always walk away with something.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
While the CLs in theory are definitely nicer than the ACs, the realities are somewhat different. Domestically speaking, there is an AC almost anywhere (exceptions are LAS and SEA (where you can use the Alaska Club)) where there is a CL and the AC's are often much more conveniently located than the CL (looking at you LAX, IAH, and SFO).

Some of the CLs can be obnoxiously crowded and the lines at certain CLs can be 10, 15, 20 people in length (even after Amex instituted its $50 per guest fee if you dont meet the annual spending threshold). Try getting into the LAS lounge or the MIA lounge at certain times of the day. The MIA lounge was such a zoo last week that I left it and went to the D15 AC - much better experience.

One of the huge benefits to the AC is the ability of the AC agents to make changes and flight adjustments to AA tickets - something Amex agents can't do. AC agents have saved my bacon any number of times.

You've also got ACs in many more cities than CLs: BOS, ORD, SNA, PDX (partner), MCO, ATL, AUS, BNA, etc. While Amex has its Escape Lounge partners, I find the Escape partners to be pretty weak.
MikeDLA likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:36 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
While the CLs in theory are definitely nicer than the ACs, the realities are somewhat different. Domestically speaking, there is an AC almost anywhere (exceptions are LAS and SEA (where you can use the Alaska Club)) where there is a CL and the AC's are often much more conveniently located than the CL (looking at you LAX, IAH, and SFO).

Some of the CLs can be obnoxiously crowded and the lines at certain CLs can be 10, 15, 20 people in length (even after Amex instituted its $50 per guest fee if you dont meet the annual spending threshold). Try getting into the LAS lounge or the MIA lounge at certain times of the day. The MIA lounge was such a zoo last week that I left it and went to the D15 AC - much better experience.

One of the huge benefits to the AC is the ability of the AC agents to make changes and flight adjustments to AA tickets - something Amex agents can't do. AC agents have saved my bacon any number of times.

You've also got ACs in many more cities than CLs: BOS, ORD, SNA, PDX (partner), MCO, ATL, AUS, BNA, etc. While Amex has its Escape Lounge partners, I find the Escape partners to be pretty weak.
I agree. I find myself going to the AC if there is one in every airport except CLT. I've only once had an issue with CLT crowding (pre-fee) (when I've been at least, almost always either 8am or 10pm), and find it to be a better experience than the worn down C/D AC and cramped B AC. While I hate paying both annual fees, I feel like the Amex Plat is worth it for the benefits (I put all my flight spend on it), and being ORD based the AC access is basically completely necessary.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by S80
I agree. I find myself going to the AC if there is one in every airport except CLT. I've only once had an issue with CLT crowding (pre-fee) (when I've been at least, almost always either 8am or 10pm), and find it to be a better experience than the worn down C/D AC and cramped B AC. While I hate paying both annual fees, I feel like the Amex Plat is worth it for the benefits (I put all my flight spend on it), and being ORD based the AC access is basically completely necessary.
I carry both. There is no question, the drinks at the CL are better. When I can get top shelf drinks for free versus Aristocrat or Bowman's vodka at the AC, there is no comparison. The CLs are also great when you have space to breathe and work. CLT is -usually- a good example of that. The AC at CLT is crowded, loud, and unpleasant. The CL can absolutely also be crowded and somewhat loud, but less unpleasant.

I used to universally proclaim that the CLs food offerings were leaps and bounds better than the AC. Thats not quite the case anymore. Its still better, but the AC food offerings have improved markedly.

If I am travelling alone, its a question of line length, crowding, location convenience, and food offerings. Being alone, the scales usually tip towards the CL. If I need to make an itinerary change or "fix" something, I may opt for the AC.

If you are having to pay for a guest, the question becomes "is it worth it for $50 of free (prepaid) Woodford Reserve?"
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Anyone else have an issue with their Citi AA card getting hacked much more frequently than other cards?
I've had some of my other cards for 15+ years with the same number and never an issue - and they have even been my daily spender at periods over the years.

However, my Citi AA card gets hacked every 6-8 months. Happened again today - about $100 at some vitamin shop and then like 30 attempts with Home Depot that all got blocked. It's getting beyond old, and makes me wonder if Citi has some rather major security vulnerabilities that my other cards do not seem to have.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Anyone else have an issue with their Citi AA card getting hacked much more frequently than other cards?
I've had some of my other cards for 15+ years with the same number and never an issue - and they have even been my daily spender at periods over the years.

However, my Citi AA card gets hacked every 6-8 months. Happened again today - about $100 at some vitamin shop and then like 30 attempts with Home Depot that all got blocked. It's getting beyond old, and makes me wonder if Citi has some rather major security vulnerabilities that my other cards do not seem to have.
Thankfully, no. Approximately twice over the last 6-8 YEARS.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by F1.Cullen
Thankfully, no. Approximately twice over the last 6-8 YEARS.
I wish they'd at least make it very well known where the leak comes from - which merchant is this happening at. I'd make damn sure to never spend another dime there again. Maybe a bunch of bad PR for places where this happens would force them to actually secure their environment.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:33 pm
Suspended

I wish they'd at least make it very well known where the leak comes from - which merchant is this happening at. I'd make damn sure to never spend another dime there again. Maybe a bunch of bad PR for places where this happens would force them to actually secure their environment.

I recall one of them being a shoe company of sorts ‘based’ in California this was a few years ago now.

I almost overlooked it, thinking it was probably my wife (certainly not far fetched), but finally I asked her if she bought shoes from a company in California, to which her answer was ‘No’.

There was no issue getting it taken care of, but I agree, I wish I knew more when these things happen.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:57 pm

No, hasn't been out of proportion compared to Amex or Chase for me.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
I currently have the AAdvantage Platinum Select card and have held onto it for more than 4 years. I am contemplating upgrading to the Executive card as travel is picking back up for me. Question to the brain trust here is, what is best to do to be able to get the bonus miles after the qualified spend?

So first off, I just called and the CSR at the Platinum Select line indicated that I was NOT eligible for the Bonus 50,000 miles because it is only for people who haven't had ANY AAdvantage Credit Card for the last 24 months. However, I don't see this in the Executive Card bonus terms and conditions - only that you cannot have received a bonus within the last 48 months. Is the CSR incorrect about this?

Second, what is the best way to get the Executive Card? Call to "upgrade" to an Executive Card? Or just put in a new application? I would prefer not to have the credit hard inquiry, if possible, but want to ensure that I receive any bonus points upon approval, if I qualify.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
I currently have the AAdvantage Platinum Select card and have held onto it for more than 4 years. I am contemplating upgrading to the Executive card as travel is picking back up for me. Question to the brain trust here is, what is best to do to be able to get the bonus miles after the qualified spend?

So first off, I just called and the CSR at the Platinum Select line indicated that I was NOT eligible for the Bonus 50,000 miles because it is only for people who haven't had ANY AAdvantage Credit Card for the last 24 months. However, I don't see this in the Executive Card bonus terms and conditions - only that you cannot have received a bonus within the last 48 months. Is the CSR incorrect about this?

Second, what is the best way to get the Executive Card? Call to "upgrade" to an Executive Card? Or just put in a new application? I would prefer not to have the credit hard inquiry, if possible, but want to ensure that I receive any bonus points upon approval, if I qualify.
You have to apply for a new card to get a sign-up bonus.

Converting an existing account by upgrading it to a different product will not award a sign up bonus.

I just went through this. My new account had a much lower credit limit, and when I asked for more credit, they said i had "Not enough history" Even though my previous account had been with Citi for 25+ years. Knuckleheads.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:00 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
You have to apply for a new card to get a sign-up bonus.

Converting an existing account by upgrading it to a different product will not award a sign up bonus.

I just went through this. My new account had a much lower credit limit, and when I asked for more credit, they said i had "Not enough history" Even though my previous account had been with Citi for 25+ years. Knuckleheads.
They all are. Another bank that shall be unnamed keeps on emailing (and mailing me physical crap) me with "an offer for an additional credit line" but when I put in the form for an increased credit limit, they always deny it. I don't use the card because it has a tiny limit, being the first one I opened (and I obviously have cards with much better benefits), so an additional card with crappy benefits isn't going to make me put anything on the card other than to get the SUB, but I can't convert it for the same reason and don't want to open another account. But thanks to the credit score people I can't exactly close it either or it'll wreck my credit score/history/whatever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.