Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances.
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:03 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
I currently have the AAdvantage Platinum Select card and have held onto it for more than 4 years. I am contemplating upgrading to the Executive card as travel is picking back up for me. Question to the brain trust here is, what is best to do to be able to get the bonus miles after the qualified spend?

So first off, I just called and the CSR at the Platinum Select line indicated that I was NOT eligible for the Bonus 50,000 miles because it is only for people who haven't had ANY AAdvantage Credit Card for the last 24 months. However, I don't see this in the Executive Card bonus terms and conditions - only that you cannot have received a bonus within the last 48 months. Is the CSR incorrect about this?

Second, what is the best way to get the Executive Card? Call to "upgrade" to an Executive Card? Or just put in a new application? I would prefer not to have the credit hard inquiry, if possible, but want to ensure that I receive any bonus points upon approval, if I qualify.
From my experience (opening 1 Citi and 1 Barclays card within 24 months from each other (for the SUB on the Barclays (before they devalue miles even further)), this is not true. It could be strict within Citi and Barclays, but that would be out of line from others where its just per specific card. (Upgrading won't get you the SUB though, as mentioned above, it has to be a new application.)
Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:48 am

Is there any reason to get AA gold AND have this card if I can get 15K LP via AA shopping + Dining? From what I can tell I get the following benefits:

1) Priority Check in from CC
2) 5 Preferred Seats from 15K LP rewards, which is mostly enough since I usually fly short haul flights. I’d reserve these for the occasional long haul flight.
3) Free checked bag

Seems like the only thing that’s missing is Oneworld Ruby benefits for non AA airlines?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by UCitiFlyer
Is there any reason to get AA gold AND have this card...
  • Upgrades--they do happen for AA Gold. Not frequently, but certainly more than lowest tier on AA's competition
  • Main Cabin Extra--usually available at check-in time (although this has become less valuable with the reduction in MCE seating on newer configs)
  • Elite benefits on AS and B6, in addition to OW Ruby benefits
Ultimately, it depends on the opportunity cost/other status one might find worth chasing.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Any sustained reason to hit a specific spend threshold on this card in the LP era?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:14 am
S80

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Any sustained reason to hit a specific spend threshold on this card in the LP era?
It depends on how much you value LPs, and the opportunity cost of not putting the spend on another card. I put a couple bucks a month on it with one recurring subscription to tell Citi I'm still alive, and that's it, I only hold it for the AC access.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
10,000 LPs after $40K spend...then, of course, whatever spend you need make up the shortfall for desired status level (at $1=1 LP)
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
If I booked a flight via AA on AK can I still access the lounge with this card? I know they ask to see the boarding pass but it will show on AK even though on the app it has the AA flight info as well.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:52 am
S80

Originally Posted by living near shamu
If I booked a flight via AA on AK can I still access the lounge with this card? I know they ask to see the boarding pass but it will show on AK even though on the app it has the AA flight info as well.
Yes. For the Admiral's Club, it should be linked for your FF#. For the AS lounge, you will need to also present the physical card.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
10,000 LPs after $40K spend...then, of course, whatever spend you need make up the shortfall for desired status level (at $1=1 LP)
That is what i was looking for, thanks
Old Mar 19, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by S80
Yes. For the Admiral's Club, it should be linked for your FF#. For the AS lounge, you will need to also present the physical card.
Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2023, 7:35 am

does this card make sense for 1-3 AA flights per year? i could probably meet the spend bonus of $5000, but are the 50,000 bonus miles worth it, and it is worth it in year 2, 3 etc?

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by michael1023
does this card make sense for 1-3 AA flights per year? i could probably meet the spend bonus of $5000, but are the 50,000 bonus miles worth it, and it is worth it in year 2, 3 etc?
This is really a matter of whether you can justify the $450 annual fee for the number of Admirals Club (or Alaska Lounge) visits you'll make in a year. The platinum MasterCard offers the same baggage benefit and a 50,000 mile bonus with half the spend and lower ($99) annual fee that is waived the first year. Unless you can really make use of the lounge access, the executive card doesn't really make sense.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
This is really a matter of whether you can justify the $450 annual fee for the number of Admirals Club (or Alaska Lounge) visits you'll make in a year. The platinum MasterCard offers the same baggage benefit and a 50,000 mile bonus with half the spend and lower ($99) annual fee that is waived the first year. Unless you can really make use of the lounge access, the executive card doesn't really make sense.
hmm i guess. I also have priority pass via Amex platinum and also have the capital one venture x. I like to keep my lounge options open, what with them always being crowded etc...i figure maybe an admirals club membership could help that
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
hmm i guess. I also have priority pass via Amex platinum and also have the capital one venture x. I like to keep my lounge options open, what with them always being crowded etc...i figure maybe an admirals club membership could help that
For 1-3 flights per year it doesn't make any sense to get an AC membership.

If you ever want to use an Admirals Club you can always just buy a day pass for $59.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
The other benefit for me is adding other authorized users so they have Admiral Club access as well. I consider this as an annual gift to several family members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.