Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances
Avis/Budget, Grubhub credits
  • these typically post to your account when your statement closes
Lyft credits
  • per the T&C, "An Eligible Ride is any Lyft ride type, excluding business rides and bicycle and scooter rental rides."
  • credits are applied to your Lyft account, not your Citi account
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Old Jun 21, 2023, 1:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
It does sound like AA wants to make this more like the DL Reserve card. Admirals Clubs aren't the level of the SkyClubs, though so there'd have to be something added to keep the card appealing. LPs just for paying the annual fee would be one option, but one from the DL playbook to get high elites interested would be something like "LPs earned from having and spending on this card are the first tiebreaker after status", effectively making EXP with the Exec card a higher status than EXP and so forth.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 1:49 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by hhdl
It does sound like AA wants to make this more like the DL Reserve card. Admirals Clubs aren't the level of the SkyClubs, though so there'd have to be something added to keep the card appealing. LPs just for paying the annual fee would be one option, but one from the DL playbook to get high elites interested would be something like "LPs earned from having and spending on this card are the first tiebreaker after status", effectively making EXP with the Exec card a higher status than EXP and so forth.
The LP boost feature from the survey that Citi did last fall (at least the feature that people disclosed; it's possible there were other variations in the survey) was not a boost merely from having the card, but getting a 10k LP boost after hitting 40k LP earned from any source, and then another 10k LP boost after hitting 90k LP.

See: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...xecutive-card/
Old Jun 21, 2023, 1:51 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I don't doubt that. It seems like the change for people that are cool with paying $450 for 4 people will probably still hang on if it's merely $625, right?
Except the new calculation is rumored to be a $650 base AF + $175 for the first three AUs = $825
Old Jun 21, 2023, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dw
Except the new calculation is rumored to be a $650 base AF + $175 for the first three AUs = $825
Which would put it on par with the Amex plat and a lot more than the CSR.

Fascinating. It wasn't worth it at $450 - getting access to the Project Oasis of clubs, so I'm really curious to see what market research supports basically doubling that.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
It's sad that the value of the AC largely comes down to the free well liquor--based on recent visits, there's really not much else offered in terms of comfort and ambiance.

Well....I don't drink alcohol, but I still get great value from the catering offered in the clubs. They have dialed it up a bit....usually there is a hot food offering throughout the day (like breakfast quesadillas in the morning, then mac and cheese later), plus bagels/cereal in the morning and simple salad bar and cookies/brownies in the afternoon. It's enough to make a decent meal out of it, if your tastes are not too fancy. On standard domestic trips, there are enough food options that I can avoid spending $15-20 at airport vendors, every trip. That really adds up in the course of the year. I think the paid membership offers significant value even for non-drinkers. The "ambiance" thing depends entirely on the specific clubs you visit and time of day. Clubs at major hubs in the late afternoons are going to be packed, but at 6am on a Saturday morning, it will be quite relaxing.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I also dont drink but usually eat 1-2 meals each travel day at a club somewhere. Given we only get per diem, the per diem unspent is money in my pocket, which in turn offsets the annual fee. The food is good enough, for me anyway.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Antarius
Which would put it on par with the Amex plat and a lot more than the CSR.

Fascinating. It wasn't worth it at $450 - getting access to the Project Oasis of clubs, so I'm really curious to see what market research supports basically doubling that.
Depends on your home airport. Flying out of DCA you get a really nice admirals club, and theres currently no priority pass or centurion clubs. Its easily worth $450 to me.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Well....I don't drink alcohol, but I still get great value from the catering offered in the clubs. They have dialed it up a bit....usually there is a hot food offering throughout the day (like breakfast quesadillas in the morning, then mac and cheese later), plus bagels/cereal in the morning and simple salad bar and cookies/brownies in the afternoon. It's enough to make a decent meal out of it, if your tastes are not too fancy. On standard domestic trips, there are enough food options that I can avoid spending $15-20 at airport vendors, every trip. That really adds up in the course of the year. I think the paid membership offers significant value even for non-drinkers. The "ambiance" thing depends entirely on the specific clubs you visit and time of day. Clubs at major hubs in the late afternoons are going to be packed, but at 6am on a Saturday morning, it will be quite relaxing.
AMEX CL is still better.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by murphy
Depends on your home airport. Flying out of DCA you get a really nice admirals club, and there’s currently no priority pass or centurion clubs. It’s easily worth $450 to me.
Fair enough - although I don't personally see value in a club in my home airport. I'm either coming to the airport to fly out or going home.

That said, is it worth $650 for you? or $650 + 175 if you have AUs?
Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:15 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Well....I don't drink alcohol, but I still get great value from the catering offered in the clubs...It's enough to make a decent meal out of it, if your tastes are not too fancy.
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I also dont drink but usually eat 1-2 meals each travel day at a club somewhere. Given we only get per diem, the per diem unspent is money in my pocket, which in turn offsets the annual fee. The food is good enough, for me anyway.
Originally Posted by lsquare
AMEX CL is still better.
I'll buy there is some value vs not joining for frequent/captive AA flyers and gaming per diem allowances (but the quality and selection would grow tiresome, IMHO). It's fine at the current price, based on my usage. At a higher fee, I will likely revert to Amex/Priority Pass when flying AA (or just show up closer to flight time).
Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
AMEX CL is still better.
Depends on how you define "better," but if you mean catering, then I agree. However, in terms of network coverage, there are a lot more Admirals Clubs than Centurions out there. And in some cases, it can be complicated to use Centurion when flying AA. So it is helpful to have both.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 11:02 pm

AMEX CL is still better.
Depends on how you define "better," but if you mean catering, then I agree. However, in terms of network coverage, there are a lot more Admirals Clubs than Centurions out there. And in some cases, it can be complicated to use Centurion when flying AA. So it is helpful to have both.
I'm not going to get both. under the current value proposition, I'll keep the AA card. The extra benefits inside the lounge of assistance with reservation issues for day-of travel are unmatched.
food is sub par at the AC vs CL, but the CL has hordes of people everywhere inside, lines to get in, and a much smaller footprint of clubs vs AC's all over the place, which tips the scale heavily in favor of AC.

But if they raise it a couple hundred bucks and there's nothing SUBSTANTIAL added to the card, I'll drop AC, POSSIBLY for Amex clubs, not sure, but keep my other citi card for earning LPs
Old Jun 22, 2023, 5:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Antarius
Fair enough - although I don't personally see value in a club in my home airport. I'm either coming to the airport to fly out or going home.

That said, is it worth $650 for you? or $650 + 175 if you have AUs?
Good question. I probably visit the club 25 times a year, so $18 a visit. Do I still like it at $25-30 a visit? And can any of those visits be replaced by PP or CL? It will definitely get a hard look come renewal time.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 5:55 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I'm not going to get both. under the current value proposition, I'll keep the AA card. The extra benefits inside the lounge of assistance with reservation issues for day-of travel are unmatched.
food is sub par at the AC vs CL, but the CL has hordes of people everywhere inside, lines to get in, and a much smaller footprint of clubs vs AC's all over the place, which tips the scale heavily in favor of AC.

But if they raise it a couple hundred bucks and there's nothing SUBSTANTIAL added to the card, I'll drop AC, POSSIBLY for Amex clubs, not sure, but keep my other citi card for earning LPs
On top of the benefits you mentioned, Admirals Clubs allow access on arrival and tend to be open a lot later than CLs.

Im pretty annoyed at this change. As many have already mentioned, there needs to be an improvement in the lounge offerings to justify this fairly substantial increase.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
On top of the benefits you mentioned, Admirals Clubs allow access on arrival and tend to be open a lot later than CLs.

Im pretty annoyed at this change. As many have already mentioned, there needs to be an improvement in the lounge offerings to justify this fairly substantial increase.
It's hard to say what the full on change will be (just the AU fee vs card increase and AU fee). It seems like speculation started with just the AU and then the potential fee increase was added on. If it's just the AU fee I'm borderline keeping it as I have 2 AU, and between us it might be worth it. If it is fee increase and AU fee it'll be a hard pass. I typically use AA when going in/out of DCA/MIA. Although the MIA CL is great it is not as convenient as the admirals club. When the CL comes to DCA though, then I'll be covered in both locations if I give up the AA thing. I think this really will push a lot of people to cancel/downgrade if they go through with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.