Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances.
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Old Jun 20, 2023, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Could be an early leak. If so and pricing is accurate, I suspect addtional benefits/rewards will be added.

I am only a few months into my membership. I suppose it's possible the fee advisory is popping up on AU adds for members close(r) to renweal time, but this is probably giving Citi too much credit.

The TPG article fails to note that prospective cardmember T&C disclosure doesn't mention the fee, either (it didn't as of last night, at least).
Originally Posted by dw
No, its likely a glitch where the language was populated (early) for the web interface but not the app.

Nobody has received written notification of changes to fees, as required by the CARD Act.
It's not like ACs have amazing food and drinks. Without any added benefits, I wouldn't pay $175 for the AUs. At least AMEX CL has decent food.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
It's not like ACs have amazing food and drinks. Without any added benefits, I wouldn't pay $175 for the AUs. At least AMEX CL has decent food.
it's $175 for the 5th AU and for every extra one after that on the account, if the new changed wording is to be believed. It's not $175 for a single AU. It MAY not even be charged, we don't know.
I have a sweet spot of 4 of us on the account, and it works for me as is. But I'd LOVE to have individual numbers and tracking.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
it's $175 for the 5th AU and for every extra one after that on the account, if the new changed wording is to be believed. It's not $175 for a single AU. It MAY not even be charged, we don't know.
I have a sweet spot of 4 of us on the account, and it works for me as is. But I'd LOVE to have individual numbers and tracking.
Isn't the first three going to be $175?
Old Jun 21, 2023, 7:41 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The message about the new fee structure, which was in my account yesterday when trying to add an AU, is gone today. The reference to earning a 20,000 LP boost (without offering details on how) is gone today as well.

Changes are undoubtedly coming soon, but it looks like someone in Citi's IT hit the trigger a bit prematurely.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:05 am

It's much more dramatic than just an extra $175 on top of the $450. I have 10 AU's and pay $450 for the 11 of us. It will now cost $450+175 =$625 for 4 people. This equals cancelling. They would be (hypothetically) nerfing this card without substantial additional benefits. I hope they let current cardholders re-up as usual one more time before implementing anything.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
<SNIP> I have 10 AU's and pay $450 for the 11 of us. <SNIP>
This is why we can't have nice things.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Does this proposed Authorized User change differ if the AU is the primary cardholder's spouse? Because for $450 plus $175 (=$625) I am not sure this card would still be worth it. I can get AC access for member+spouse through other methods (Business Extraa points, for example).
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Does this proposed Authorized User change differ if the AU is the primary cardholder's spouse? Because for $450 plus $175 (=$625) I am not sure this card would still be worth it. I can get AC access for member+spouse through other methods (Business Extraa points, for example).
This will kill that card as the only reason folks got the card was for the discounted AC membership. The other benefits for that card are subpar at best.

I had it for years until I got CK this year. I downgraded the card to keep the credit limit, but, like you, I'll just spend the 3300 points on BE and be done if I don't get renewed.

I do look forward to less crowding since this will be a detractor for the folks with 10 authorized users.

YMMV
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by jhalapin
This is why we can't have nice things.
Eh, abiding by the terms hardly seems that way. It was a good deal to have the AA lounge as an option in certain airports when flying AA, certainly not the primary option. For my crew it was a fallback, it's fine they want to get rid of it, doesn't take long to become a loss leader but this was the only benefit of the card in the first place. For those who had 3 AU's or fewer (I guess the ones you consider to be kosher), the additional $175 doesn't seem like such a big deal as it's an extra $44 per person.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I have 10 AU's and pay $450 for the 11 of us.

With respect, this type of use case is precisely why the policy is changing. AA is realizing that people are adding the 10 maximum free AUs for their family/friends/adult children, potentially splitting the $450 annual fee among them, and then enjoying the free-flowing drinks and food when traveling, for a fraction of the cost of each person getting his or her own individual membership. It leads to overcrowded clubs by passengers who are not paying full freight for their access. And yes, the clubs are pretty full lately.

Now, is it within the T&C to add the maximum AUs for free access? Probably yes. Is it what AA and Citi intended for the average customer to do? Probably not. But, we live in a world where everyone reads the travel blogs and learns how to milk every last penny of value out of the fine print.again, not what was intended. (Delta is facing the same issues with Amex Plat access to Sky Clubsthey are really between a rock and a hard place.)
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by fastflyer
If it works like the Amex Plat then it wont matter who the AU is. To get a plat AU card for your spouse you have to pay the $175. It doesnt make sense for me. My wife doesnt travel much without me.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:09 am

Eh, abiding by the terms hardly seems that way. It was a good deal to have the AA lounge as an option in certain airports when flying AA, certainly not the primary option. For my crew it was a fallback, it's fine they want to get rid of it, doesn't take long to become a loss leader but this was the only benefit of the card in the first place. For those who had 3 AU's or fewer (I guess the ones you consider to be kosher), the additional $175 doesn't seem like such a big deal as it's an extra $44 per person.
Wasn't a slam against you. You were absolutely "in bounds" with having 10 authorized users. It's more of a slam against CIti and AA for letting this happen as club crowding has gotten as bad or worse than when Delta finally took action.

There are folks such as yourself that will continue to use the 10 AU perk and are happy to pay extra for that. Most folks won't and that has a chance to reduce the club crowding we have all seen.

Jeff
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:21 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by jhalapin
This will kill that card as the only reason folks got the card was for the discounted AC membership. The other benefits for that card are subpar at best.
Some of the survey variations that went out last year had LP boosts that weren't strictly tied to card spending, so that could move the needle a bit for people who tend to end up scrambling for LPs at the end of each qualification year.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
With respect, this type of use case is precisely why the policy is changing. AA is realizing that people are adding the 10 maximum free AUs for their family/friends/adult children, potentially splitting the $450 annual fee among them, and then enjoying the free-flowing drinks and food when traveling, for a fraction of the cost of each person getting his or her own individual membership. It leads to overcrowded clubs by passengers who are not paying full freight for their access. And yes, the clubs are pretty full lately.

Now, is it within the T&C to add the maximum AUs for free access? Probably yes. Is it what AA and Citi intended for the average customer to do? Probably not. But, we live in a world where everyone reads the travel blogs and learns how to milk every last penny of value out of the fine print….again, not what was intended. (Delta is facing the same issues with Amex Plat access to Sky Clubs…they are really between a rock and a hard place.)
I don't doubt that. It seems like the change for people that are cool with paying $450 for 4 people will probably still hang on if it's merely $625, right? That's an extra visit (with a guest or two) or two (solo) per person (4 total users) to get value from it. So I think Citi is accomplishing a fair trade to those folks who want 4 people and who consume well grade alcohol. I really don't think there are many people with more than 3 AU's in the first place. Most people have a stroke when asked to give out their favorite color to a third party, much less something that shows up on their credit report as an AU.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by ESpen36
With respect, this type of use case is precisely why the policy is changing.
So I think Citi is accomplishing a fair trade to those folks who want 4 people and who consume well grade alcohol. I really don't think there are many people with more than 3 AU's in the first place.
I have to agree that the "maxed-out" AU cases are NOT driving this. Seems more likely that Citi/AA are just coming to a point in time where they believe there is extra juice to be squeezed out of the product in light of travel demand, inflation and refocus of the elite program to a "universal" spend model (Has there ever been a fee increase on this card?). I suspect the fee increase will be justified by new LP and/or RDM earning features.

There may be some impact on club crowds, but I am not encouraged that there will be an accompanying investment in the club experience in connection with any planned fee changes. It's sad that the value of the AC largely comes down to the free well liquor--based on recent visits, there's really not much else offered in terms of comfort and ambiance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.