Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances.
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Old Jun 22, 2023, 8:58 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
One thing to think about is if someone isn't going to have AUs, at a potential card price of $650, it would be cheaper for anyone to just buy a membership. (Unless the other shoe is going to drop and prices for memberships go up again.)

For reference, renewal prices currently are (with first year $50 more):
General member: $600
Gold: $575
Plat: $550
Plat Pro: $525
ExPlat: $500

To earn LPs, current cardholders could just downgrade to the no AF MileUp card.

So either AA will need to raise membership prices to make an increased card AF make sense; or they're going to have to add on enough additional perks (be it mileage earning bonus categories or otherwise) to make it worthwhile to keep the card.

Historically, getting the card was always cheaper than buying a membership; and the numbers worked out for AA because they get a certain split from card revenue (some combo of shared revenue amongst the annual fees, interchange and interest charges).
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dw
One thing to think about is if someone isn't going to have AUs, at a potential card price of $650, it would be cheaper for anyone to just buy a membership. (Unless the other shoe is going to drop and prices for memberships go up again.)

So either AA will need to raise membership prices to make an increased card AF make sense; or they're going to have to add on enough additional perks (be it mileage earning bonus categories or otherwise) to make it worthwhile to keep the card.

Historically, getting the card was always cheaper than buying a membership; and the numbers worked out for AA because they get a certain split from card revenue (some combo of shared revenue amongst the annual fees, interchange and interest charges).
I agree and I think the card will be revamped. There were Citi surveys in the past about potential changes. If none of that materializes, the new fees will make this card poor value.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I have had this card, with my husband as the AU, since 2012. It's been a good value for many years. The new rates being proposed probably won't be, unless there is something else offered, either with the card or with the membership or . . . I don't know. I guess we'll see.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Anyone have any luck with getting Citi to provide any retention bonuses for the card? The AC is overcrowded and food is pretty poor lately. I'm questioning the need for the card lately. And I'm up for renewal.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Problems I have with the Citi Exec AA card, if proposed changes of 650+175 (total to be 825 annually) are implemented:
- I can get a full AC membership for 500/ year and supplement spouse with single visit passes when we are not travelling together. Or 3300 BE points (which I value at about $750)
- There are few useful other benefits. My Bonvoy AMEX is always doing discounts at shops and restaurants that I actually use. I have only once received a useful extra benefit with the Citi Exec Card (the $30 off on hotels), which was small potatoes, frankly.
- I have lifetime Plat on AA, so any movement to make the card super $$$ makes me more likely to go rogue/ free agent (I generally pay for F domestically and J internationally) -- I think AA has certain advantages over DL and UA, especially certain AAdvantage peculiarities, but these are being rationalized -- soon the majors will all provide more or less the same program benefits.
- ACs are not keeping up in terms of locations with DL SkyClubs. Neither FLL nor PBI nor MCI (about 60% of my O&Ds) have an AC. They closed the BDL and SJU clubs, which airports I also used.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by dw

$500 plus my Mileup card sounds a lot better than $650 for the exact same thing
Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:20 pm
dw

By the way, I didnt realize that UA Club membership prices are a lot higher than AC memberships now. (At UA its $650 for everyone except 1Ks, who get it for $550.)

The Chase UA Club Card is $525 a year, which like the current Citi/AA setup, makes it a better deal for most people to get the card.

With the expected $650 new AF on the AA Exec card, I wouldnt be surprised to see some adjustments to the prices for AC membership
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Some big changes coming for this card: Here's the details:

(Twitter thread - recent details)

Pictures from Jon's twitter:

Last edited by Drwaz99; Jul 10, 2023 at 12:06 pm
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:59 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
When do folks suggest calling Citi to see if you can get some sort of retention bonus, is one month before the annual renewal good or are other timeframe(s) suggested....?

Thanks !!
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
595 plus 175 for additional users means I will drop the card. Easy decision.

For me, the economics as-is is hard enough to justify. I might use the AC about 15 visits a year. I have just my wife as an AU and she only flies once (maybe twice) a year without me. And a big reason I've 'justified' the card is because twice in the last two years the AC AAngels were able to help her out during weather-caused IRROPs on her alone flight. But for 175 per year, I can't justify the AU part, and without the AU access, I find it harder to justify any of the rest. The food isn't good, the free wine is pretty bad, and all the other 'advertised benefits' (free baggage, priority boarding/bags/check-in) I am getting with status now, which wasn't the case when I got the card in 2017 when the old EQM/EQS+EQM system made it tough for me to even get gold on a regular basis.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:22 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK

For me, the economics as-is is hard enough to justify. I might use the AC about 15 visits a year. I have just my wife as an AU and she only flies once (maybe twice) a year without me. And a big reason I've 'justified' the card is because twice in the last two years the AC AAngels were able to help her out during weather-caused IRROPs on her alone flight. But for 175 per year, I can't justify the AU part, and without the AU access, I find it harder to justify any of the rest. The food isn't good, the free wine is pretty bad, and all the other 'advertised benefits' (free baggage, priority boarding/bags/check-in) I am getting with status now, which wasn't the case when I got the card in 2017 when the old EQM/EQS+EQM system made it tough for me to even get gold on a regular basis.
It's hard for me to justify with probably 100+ visits a year. I visit the centurion lounge when I can in CLT/DFW/LAX for the better food, then head to the AC to relax if it's crowded / I have extra time. I find myself on more 5ams out of ORD to connect (when the AC isn't even open yet). I'm also doing a lot more international travel as well where I have access anyways.
I still feel it's more advantageous for me to put that spend on my Amex Plat with 5x on airfare where I can transfer to partners that aren't charging 100k+ each way for biz. The new credits for Lyft (I prefer Uber) and Grubhub (which I don't use) are worthless to me.
And now with EP, buying the membership for $500 makes way more sense than paying an extra $100 for a card that I basically don't put any spend on.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK

Agree. I have 4 AU's so the annual is now $945 for infrequent use of the lounges. I did make EXP for 2023 and just made it again for 2024 on spend but I'm Lifetime Plat so even the extra benefits aren't that compelling.

I've had the card since the beginning and have a $150K CL so it'll be tough to get rid of it for those reasons but they 'aint worth $945
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The 4x earning on AA spend finally makes it somewhat competitive with Chase and Amex for airfare spend. Ditto the added insurance coverage.

It will be interesting to see more details about the "Loyalty Point Boost" benefit, i.e. is that an additional 10k LP after $50k card spend or earning 50k LP in general? If it's just hitting 50k/90k LP in general then that's another 20k easy LP for most of us.

And the 10x earning on BAAH is potentially huge. With about $5k of BAAH hotel spend so far this year that would be another 50k RDM right there.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:48 pm
dw

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It will be interesting to see more details about the "Loyalty Point Boost" benefit, i.e. is that an additional 10k LP after $50k card spend or earning 50k LP in general? If it's just hitting 50k/90k LP in general then that's another 20k easy LP for most of us.
Variations of the LP boost were included in the surveys Citi did last year, and it appeared that it was tied to general LP earnings, not card spend. Which effectively reduces the requirements by 10k for Plats and 20k for Plat Pros and EXPs. Although I also wonder if we'll see increased requirements in the near future.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:50 pm
dw

Originally Posted by S80
And now with EP, buying the membership for $500 makes way more sense than paying an extra $100 for a card that I basically don't put any spend on.
I do have to wonder if the other shoe is still to drop-- increased membership fees for the ACs. It was always a better deal to get the card vs buying a membership (AA is getting some sort of cut from Citi from the AFs, interchange and interest), and I can't see that changing. They really want to promote people getting the cobrand card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.