Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LPs for AA Credit Card Spend in February – New Rule for 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, but I play the field

The following rule change has been mentioned in scattered posts across the forum but has not yet had a dedicated thread, and a lot of outdated information continues to be posted, particularly as we approach the end of the status year.

Via a December 7, 2023 email to cardholders (pasted below), AA announced that beginning in 2024, LPs for AA credit card spending will be credited to either the current or next status year based on the transaction date, rather than the statement closing date. As a practical matter, this means that LPs from credit card purchases during the month of February will count toward the 2023-2024 status year, irrespective of when the credit card statement closes. Please note that this rule change applies to all AAdvantage credit cards -- i.e., Barclays or Citi, fee or no annual fee, etc.

The AA email provides an illustrative example of how the rule will be applied for a credit card statement that includes transactions from both February and March. What we don’t know yet is exactly how the new rule will be implemented. The AA email indicates that it may take 8-10 weeks for LPs from February transactions to be reflected correctly in your account, and presumably your elite status if applicable. Perhaps this thread can be used to collect data from FT members as to how and when these LP adjustments are made after March 1.

DECEMBER 6 EMAIL TEXT:

Your journey to AAdvantage® status

As an AAdvantage® credit cardmember, you earn Loyalty Points on everyday purchases, which is a great way to reach AAdvantage® status and Loyalty Point Rewards.

With a few months left in the status qualification year, we wanted to make you aware of a change we’ve made to reaching status with your AAdvantage® credit card.

What has changed?

The Loyalty Points you earn on AAdvantage® credit card* purchases between March 1 and the end of February of the following year count toward the current status qualification year.

This means you can earn Loyalty Points through February 29, 2024, instead of your last statement close date of the qualification year.

What will this look like?

As an example, if your monthly AAdvantage® credit card statement closes on March 5 (which includes purchases posted to your credit card account between February 6 and March 5), all the Loyalty Points earned from purchases made between February 6 through 29 will count toward 2024 status. All Loyalty Points earned between March 1 and 5 count toward the 2025 qualification year.

It may take up to 8 – 10 weeks after March 5 to post to your account, in this example.

What happens on March 1?

The new status qualification year begins and your Loyalty Point balance resets to zero. You can then begin earning toward status from March 1, 2024 – February 28, 2025.

How can I earn Loyalty Points faster as an AAdvantage® credit cardmember?

Along with flying, we recommend engaging with our partners using your AAdvantage® credit card.  

Last edited by ZenFlyer; Feb 19, 2024 at 7:04 am
Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, AA ExecPlat
What happens if the LPs post too late in order to choose the rewards (e.g. 250K). Those rewards have to be chosen by March 30 I think?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by psiachp
What happens if the LPs post too late in order to choose the rewards (e.g. 250K). Those rewards have to be chosen by March 30 I think?
Let's stay on topic, that's an entirely different question unrelated to this thread.
GaryZ likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Let's stay on topic, that's an entirely different question unrelated to this thread.
it's totally related to the thread, doubly so as the same question can be asked of the issue of status. if you need that last few days of cc spend to make the next status level, what happens, are you platinum at the start of april, then platinum pro 6 weeks later when the divided cycle LPs post post?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stant
it's totally related to the thread, doubly so as the same question can be asked of the issue of status. if you need that last few days of cc spend to make the next status level, what happens, are you platinum at the start of april, then platinum pro 6 weeks later when the divided cycle LPs post post?
The fact of the matter is that no one knows for certain, as the current LP program is only two years old, and this is the first time that this rule is being implemented. Also, the past two years suggest that AA tends to make up the policy for implementing such rules as it goes along.
spiritkat09 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Fwiw, I thought it might be a good idea to have some kind of more comprehenisve master thread/sticky regarding various end-of-status year questions that tend to come up, some of which are addressed in their own threads and some of which are not. Maybe someone else can consider taking that on -- I only had the energy to make a post specifically about the credit card spend rule, mostly because I've seen a lot of confusion on this issue and I'm tired of making the same correction in different threads.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
The fact of the matter is that no one knows for certain, as the current LP program is only two years old, and this is the first time that this rule is being implemented. Also, the past two years suggest that AA tends to make up the policy for implementing such rules as it goes along.
yes, exactly, that is the whole reason behind this thread.
EdV likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by stant
it's totally related to the thread, doubly so as the same question can be asked of the issue of status
If there are questions about the Loyalty Point Rewards program and timing then I'd suggest anyone ask in the master Loyalty Point Rewards thread, not in a thread about AA's new rule for credit card spend and LP earn in the month of February.

Loyalty Point Rewards program, formerly Loyalty Choice - 2021 on (consolidated)
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Fwiw, I thought it might be a good idea to have some kind of more comprehenisve master thread/sticky regarding various end-of-status year questions that tend to come up, some of which are addressed in their own threads and some of which are not. Maybe someone else can consider taking that on
I’ll make one.

I made one.
DiverDave and ZenFlyer like this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Feb 19, 2024 at 9:13 am
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
They implemented the rule last year too....so that's not quite correct/
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
They implemented the rule last year too....so that's not quite correct/
No. The rule was announced in December 2023, and of course that is last year, if that's what you mean. But if you are talking about implementing the rule, last year LPs in February and March worked differently. More specifically, in 2023 card spend in February counted for both status years -- a double-dip for AA cardholders. My assumption is that was a bit of an improvisation on AA's part, and something they did not want to repeat again.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
No. The rule was announced in December 2023, and of course that is last year, if that's what you mean. But if you are talking about implementing the rule, last year LPs in February and March worked differently. More specifically, in 2023 card spend in February counted for both status years -- a double-dip for AA cardholders. My assumption is that was a bit of an improvisation on AA's part, and something they did not want to repeat again.
Well, that's a bummer for me. I really didn't need more LPs for the current year and I just spent about $20K on my Barclays card to get a good start for next year. I wonder if I can appeal that. I have no record of receiving this email.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by vasantn
Well, that's a bummer for me. I really didn't need more LPs for the current year and I just spent about $20K on my Barclays card to get a good start for next year. I wonder if I can appeal that. I have no record of receiving this email.
Do the T&C for the credit card say anything when the LP are supposed to post? If so, and if they didn’t adjust the T&C to cover this special period, you might have a leg to stand on. I did get the email and saw a number of threads here where it was discussed, but I could easily see a less “engaged” member not seeing the posts here and either not getting the email for technical reasons or simply mistaking it for one of the many useless emails from loyalty programs.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So that explains why I got credit for my miles spent in late February 2023, right?
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So that explains why I got credit for my miles spent in late February 2023, right?
Yes. Last year, we got credit for 2023 and 2024 for LPs earned in between one's February statement closing date and February 28 -- i.e., we were able to double dip, although we didn't know we could until after the fact. This year, it's based solely on transaction date. I've been holding a few large purchases (new furniture, new mattress, etc.) to March 1 as a result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.