Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

End-of-status year LP questions (2024 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

As we approach the end of the status qualification year (2/29/2024j, questions and discussions popup in various threads asking how LP postings from various sources work, how AA will process late-arriving LP, etc.

This thread, originally suggested by @ZenFlyer, is an attempt to put this discussion all in one thread and eventually in the Wiki to reduce redundant discussion and help people find the information.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
How does AA handle LP from credit card transactions that happen after the Feb closing date of the statement and before 3/1?

Simple answer:

Via a December 7, 2023 email to cardholders (pasted below), AA announced that beginning in 2024, LPs for AA credit card spending will be credited to either the current or next status year based on the transaction date, rather than the statement closing date. As a practical matter, this means that LPs from credit card purchases during the month of February will count toward the 2023-2024 status year, irrespective of when the credit card statement closes. Please note that this rule change applies to all AAdvantage credit cards -- i.e., Barclays or Citi, fee or no annual fee, etc.”

Detailed discussion in this dedicated thread: LPs for AA Credit Card Spend in February – New Rule for 2024

(the above quote is from Zenflyer’s initial post in that thread
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question: if LPs from credit card charges or other sources post significantly late (after the 2/29 cut-off date) and a Loyalty Reward threshold is passed, will AA let you choose that reward?

original question was:

Originally Posted by psiachp
What happens if the LPs post too late in order to choose the rewards (e.g. 250K). Those rewards have to be chosen by March 30 I think?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question: if LPs post late (after the 3/1 reset of the LP counter) but with a transaction date before 2/29 leading to the old balance exceeding 60k or 100k LP and thus qualifying for the 20% or 30% LP boost for 6 months, will AA automatically handle this?

Example:

LP balance on 2/29: 99,000
LP balance on 3/1: 0

2000 LPs from a hotel stay on 2/25 post on 3/5. They should post with a transaction date of 2/25 and thus count towards the past qualification year and boost the balance on 2/29 retroactively to 101,000 LP, thus unlocking the 30% bonus (and Avis Presidents Club). Will this happen automatically?
skyye_99 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question: is there any way to track the 2023/2024 LP balance once 3/1 comes around? I am maintaining a spreadsheet that has all my transactions, and I’ll make sure to reconcile it with AA.com on 2/29.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Question: is there any way to track the 2023/2024 LP balance once 3/1 comes around? I am maintaining a spreadsheet that has all my transactions, and I’ll make sure to reconcile it with AA.com on 2/29.
Back in the day, AA provided a summary at the end of January (when the elite year ended in December). Dunno if that's still the case.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So I have a chance of passing the 100k milestone before 2/29. Which will get me no higher status, but the 30% bonus for the next six months. It will be close, though, and some 1400 LP will come from AA credit card spend for award surcharges for a future trip that may or may not happen as booked (basically, if I find a better award without BA surcharges, I would want to cancel and rebook).

So how sophisticated is AA about clawing back LPs months later and unwinding benefits derived from those LPs? I am not doing this intentionally (rack up a lot of refundable charges on my credit cards and then refund once the LP have done their job).
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EP, IHG Diamond / Kimpton IC
For LP Rewards, if you have LP post after status year end, do they go back and give you last years LP reward if that pushed you over a tier?

I.E. you're at 540k LP, status year flips and some LP from february post that would've pushed you to 550k LP.

Obviously they go back and fix status, but I could see them not fixing LP rewards
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by vasantn
Back in the day, AA provided a summary at the end of January (when the elite year ended in December). Dunno if that's still the case.
I think a few weeks ago someone posted a ChatGPT prompt that would convert an account history paste from AA.com into a structured format. That would be useful to dig up
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by rgkessinger
For LP Rewards, if you have LP post after status year end, do they go back and give you last years LP reward if that pushed you over a tier?

I.E. you're at 540k LP, status year flips and some LP from february post that would've pushed you to 550k LP.

Obviously they go back and fix status, but I could see them not fixing LP rewards
I hesitate to say that "no one" knows, but let's just say that this is something lots of people are wondering about this year and the answer is not something that is common knowledge on the forum. This is only the second status year transition period since the LP program began in the spring of 2022, so there is a relatively limited amount of experience with how AA credits late-posting earnings (and they have been known to change their practice as they go along). Still, there must be somebody lurking out there that had some experience with this last year, i.e. crossing an LP Reward threshold after the end of the status year due to late-posting earnings. Anyone?
JJeffrey, notquiteaff and luv2swim like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:04 am

I'm in the same boat here, except another layer of complexity. I joined only in January and am doing the instant status match. Here's the situation:
  • I have 33,000 LP
  • I have about 30,000 LP pending (hotel stay on Feb 29 and shopping purchase on Feb 25)
This means:
  • I will hit 50,000 LP credit card threshold for 10,000 LP bonus
  • I will hit 60,000 LP reward
Both will post after March 1st. So will either of these be received?

I know no one knows, but will be interesting to find out.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have now (post Feb 29) received some additional LPs.

I ended the year on 2/29 with 96k LP. I made a Shopping purchase on 2/28 and expected 300 LP to post with a backdated date. That has now happened. I also recently opened an Executive card account, and since I had already passed the 50k and 90k thresholds, I was hoping to receive the 10k LP for each of those milestones so far. And finally my Executive statement closed a few days after the card was opened and I am expecting 5 LP from a single purchase posted on that statement.

Last night I received the following LP:

AA updated the number of LP in the “last year” tracker. It now shows 106k LP.

What has NOT (yet?) happened is that I don’t seem to have access to the 100k loyalty reward level. The UI for that is showing the 15k level benefits from last year that I never claimed since they are useless for elites.
HolidayRoad, RedElmo and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
What has NOT (yet?) happened is that I don’t seem to have access to the 100k loyalty reward level. The UI for that is showing the 15k level benefits from last year that I never claimed since they are useless for elites.
Give it a day or two. That's never been instantaneous, IME.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:42 pm

Programs: Continental
I was at 247k waiting for some hotel lps to post. They must have posted now as can now access the 250k benefits as of this morning.
The miles haven't posted to my account yet so I can't tell which hotel stays posted. (I was waiting for four of them)
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hockey7711
I was at 247k waiting for some hotel lps to post. They must have posted now as can now access the 250k benefits as of this morning.
The miles haven't posted to my account yet so I can't tell which hotel stays posted. (I was waiting for four of them)
That gives me hope that my 100k award will eventually become available to claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.