Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances
Avis/Budget, Grubhub credits
  • these typically post to your account when your statement closes
Lyft credits
  • per the T&C, "An Eligible Ride is any Lyft ride type, excluding business rides and bicycle and scooter rental rides."
  • credits are applied to your Lyft account, not your Citi account
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Riled
I get the Loyalty Points piece but that's now table stakes across the big 3. My UnitedClub Card at least gets me 2x on dining. Hard to see why they wouldn't want to incentivize some extra category spend on this for those remotely interested in getting more than 1pt per dollar outside of airfare.
I currently get 4X RDM and EQM on a lot of my spend. How, you ask? I bought some Visa GCs on the AA Shopping portal when they had a 3X day recently (add 1X from the actual credit card purchase of the card). Those cards I use for otherwise unbonused spend online or via Google Pay when paying in person.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I currently get 4X RDM and EQM on a lot of my spend. How, you ask? I bought some Visa GCs on the AA Shopping portal when they had a 3X day recently (add 1X from the actual credit card purchase of the card). Those cards I use for otherwise unbonused spend online or via Google Pay when paying in person.
And when you reach a certain level of LPs, you also get a 20% or 30% bonus.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by mikeFT
[Edit: Haven't heard of any new improvements coming.]

For me, the value is in the 10x on hotels and cars through the AA portals, which are pretty good portals in their own right. For example, the cars portal (10x on Avis and Budget) gives me the same discounted price as going directly through Avis (where I also have status, largely because of AA), and my reservations are accessible on the Avis portal as if I had made them there. It really is a simple way to earn 10x (redeemable miles) by doing something you were going to do anyway. Then the hotels portal which is powered by Rocket gives you the opportunity for up to 15k RDMs AND LPs per stay, plus the 10x RDMs that the card offers on top of that. So I rarely book hotels anywhere else; this may not be as valuable to you if you're tied into a particular hotel's points program, but for me, I'd rather earn the American miles especially with these bonuses and if the company is paying for the stay. Then I can redeem miles for personal travel. For me it's the best way to maximize the perks of having (getting) to travel for work.

Then there's 4x on AA purchases, and those things I've mentioned so far are really the only things I purchase with this card. I also have the Aviator Silver from Barclays, at least until the card anniversary in August, and I use it as my catchall card - they offer spending targets that the Executive does not, but the LP bonuses the Executive offers apply regardless of how your points were earned. So I use the Silver for discretionary spending that doesn't align with another category, and large purchases, plus all spending onboard flights or at the Admiral's Lounge (2x on that and refunds for in-flight purchases). I hit the spending targets on the Silver and earn the bonus LPs on the Executive from doing so.

Then there's the lounge access.
1. Yeah what Mike said!

2. I am not a business traveler. I am a family traveler or a family plus up to 4 traveler. As a group, our use seeks to reap travel benefits that span over the entire group which frequently values over $2K per one way portion. My earn strategy is very similar to what Mike does. Without frequent 3rd party funded travel or insane spend, I just do not see how you can earn status outside AA without investing more out of pocket than you earn back. BUT, I certainly understand that my use case influences the filters that I see with. EVEN THEN, I think AA is still a stand out if you are on your own to earn the loyalty points. Since their cobranded cards are Mastercard, this opens up yet one more front to grab a bunch pop LP's.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:50 pm

Programs: 1FS Frequent Diner
Just applied for the Executive card on my mobile browser. FICO 800+ and high six figure yearly income, first Citi account. When I submitted the application the next page it took me to was to verify by code via text message. Submitted that, no problem. The page after that was mostly blank. It had the Citi and AA logo, and some header about signing on. There was a prompt to expand details, and those details said that if I skipped signing up for an account now, I would miss out on tracking details and would need to wait until I receive the physical card in the mail. However, there was no link to sign up for an account. Have gotten nothing by email, only the text with the 2FA code. Do I just hope and wait for a card to show up in the mail? Who would I need to reach out, if there even is anything I can do?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, Delta G, Marriott lt P, Hyatt, Radisson, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by Trauma1
Just applied for the Executive card on my mobile browser. FICO 800+ and high six figure yearly income, first Citi account. When I submitted the application the next page it took me to was to verify by code via text message. Submitted that, no problem. The page after that was mostly blank. It had the Citi and AA logo, and some header about signing on. There was a prompt to expand details, and those details said that if I skipped signing up for an account now, I would miss out on tracking details and would need to wait until I receive the physical card in the mail. However, there was no link to sign up for an account. Have gotten nothing by email, only the text with the 2FA code. Do I just hope and wait for a card to show up in the mail? Who would I need to reach out, if there even is anything I can do?
Yeah, this exact same thing happened to me. Never did get an email but the physical card showed up in the mail a few days later. I wish I could tell you what number to call to verify that you were approved, but it took me almost an hour and being routed to five different places. That said - you were approved, or you wouldn't have gotten the prompt about signing up for an account (even though there was nothing there to let you do it).
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Do I just hope and wait for a card to show up in the mail? Who would I need to reach out, if there even is anything I can do?
You probably just have to wait, but but the card for me came faster than expected. I think they used FedEx.

You could also call the CS number on the back of my card - 888-766-2484
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Another possibility is the reconsideration line, 800-695-5171
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I had a Citi account before applying and had the same experience. Card showed up though. Citi's IT isn't quite as good as Amex or Chase, IME.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, EK GLD, MARRIOTT Lifetime TIT, IHG PLT
I have just upgraded from Platinum card to Executive card a week ago. Card shows as shipped on 3/27 but has not arrived and I am flying tomorrow.
From previous posts my understanding is that I can access the AC using my boarding pass as the AC membership should be updated in my AAdvantage account.
My question is, my adult daughter is on the same flight with her own PNR, will I be able to bring her in as a guest?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aneilwilson
I have just upgraded from Platinum card to Executive card a week ago. Card shows as shipped on 3/27 but has not arrived and I am flying tomorrow.
From previous posts my understanding is that I can access the AC using my boarding pass as the AC membership should be updated in my AAdvantage account.
My question is, my adult daughter is on the same flight with her own PNR, will I be able to bring her in as a guest?
If they recognize you as the Primary card holder, then your daughter would get in as long as she's departing on a OW flight (doesn't have to yours).
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:48 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Check your AAdvantage profile. It should indicate that you are an AAdvantage card member. All you need to do when checking into the club is give your AAdvantage membership number. You can bring two guests into the club.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:42 am

I already had the AAdvantage card member in my profile as I had the Platinum card, so I'm not sure if the upgrade to Executive is there yet.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:49 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I already had the AAdvantage card member in my profile as I had the Platinum card, so I'm not sure if the upgrade to Executive is there yet.
A quick call to AAdvantage customer service, 800-882-8880, should clarify that.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:26 pm

I called the Admirals Club number, they confirmed that I have membership. Thanks for the help.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:55 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by mangoMan
I've been receiving the $145 Citigold relationship credit for the last several years. I don't recall ever seeing the benefit listed online, but I didn't look much either. We also receive a credit for our Prestige card. My renewal date for the MC Exec card is 7/21 and the Citigold credit posts a month later, so I'll have an answer by then, although I'm sure you'll get an answer from your bank person prior to that. If they eliminate the credit then I will certainly be dumping this card next year.
So did you get the credit, how much was it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.