Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances
Avis/Budget, Grubhub credits
  • these typically post to your account when your statement closes
Lyft credits
  • per the T&C, "An Eligible Ride is any Lyft ride type, excluding business rides and bicycle and scooter rental rides."
  • credits are applied to your Lyft account, not your Citi account
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by matthewsoft
I got the Citi Executive Card about a week ago, and I'm currently at 92k LP but haven't gotten the second 10k LP bonus yet. I think I need to earn at least 1 mile to trigger it as that's when the first 10k came in. Any tips to quickly get at least 1 LP? I really want to get to the 30% bonus. TIA!
A small purchase at the AA shopping portal? AA dining?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP
I got the Citi Executive Card about a week ago, and I'm currently at 92k LP but haven't gotten the second 10k LP bonus yet. I think I need to earn at least 1 mile to trigger it as that's when the first 10k came in. Any tips to quickly get at least 1 LP? I really want to get to the 30% bonus. TIA!
I would sign up for the AA Dining program and link that card (or any card - link whatever card you prefer for dining), and then buy something from a restaurant on their list of participating restaurants in your area. Those get applied on (or at least backdated to) the date you use it.

I don't know if they would apply that bonus with some trigger that happened next month, and backdate it to apply in this current qual year, but I wouldn't test that.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
If you are at 90K+, shouldn't you already be qualified for the additional 10K? I don't see why an additional purchase would be required, as the requirement has already been met. I don't recall if I got each of the 10K immediately, or after the closing date. Either way, I would take a screenshot on your computer showing todays date, and that you have over 90K LPs on todays date. This will at least give you supporting documentation to say you had over 90K on 2/29, which should provide you the additional 10K LPs on 2/29, which is before the end of the qualification year, hence you should get 30% bonus for the next however many months (I forget... six?)

I don't know of any way to get an LP deposited same day... they all seem to be at minimum next day, backdated to the date of transaction... which would be the same as if you made a charge on the card today. (based on AA saying all charges made in Feb would count toward current year qualification)

You could always call the number on the back of the CITI card to ask for advice as well based on your valid concern.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
If you are at 90K+, shouldn't you already be qualified for the additional 10K? I don't see why an additional purchase would be required, as the requirement has already been met. I don't recall if I got each of the 10K immediately, or after the closing date.
The wiki suggested that the posting of the 10k might be triggered by some other transaction posting (perhaps because that is a trigger for the system to evaluate the rule).
WannaTheater and mikeFT like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:00 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Charge any small purchase on the card. Any dollar charged to the card earns at least one Loyalty Point.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Charge any small purchase on the card. Any dollar charged to the card earns at least one Loyalty Point.

I think the OP is looking for something that posts an LP now, not whenever AA finds the time to process the credit card LPs from February (past the most recent statement). I don’t know that we have any data point that the 10k would still post for the old year (or really at all) when the qualification year ends tonight. I am in the same boat. I will look through the T&C, but I suspect there is probably no hard and fast rule in there for a posting schedule for those 10k LP bonuses. If mine don’t post after the counter resets tonight, I will certainly make the case to AA that I had the card before the end of the status year, even had a statement close, and so should get the extra 20k. For me it wouldn’t push me into a higher status or give me additional award choices, but it would count towards ISP.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:30 am

Just a quick DP - I got the Executive Card in January - and I was one of those who got the 100k offer, even though the 70k was what was presented when I applied. My second statement closed yesterday, and the 100k bonus miles are in my account today. Just wanted to say that there was no delay for those to appear, once the appropriate statement closed.
notquiteaff, ZenFlyer and poupre like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I don’t know that we have any data point that the 10k would still post for the old year (or really at all) when the qualification year ends tonight. I am in the same boat. I will look through the T&C, but I suspect there is probably no hard and fast rule in there for a posting schedule for those 10k LP bonuses. If mine don’t post after the counter resets tonight, I will certainly make the case to AA that I had the card before the end of the status year, even had a statement close, and so should get the extra 20k. For me it wouldn’t push me into a higher status or give me additional award choices, but it would count towards ISP.
I now have a data point:

End-of-status year LP questions (2024 edition)

I received one set of 10k LP retroactively. Not clear why the second set didn’t post at the same time. Perhaps each requires some other triggering activity and I only had one (from shopping)?
ZenFlyer and mikeFT like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:51 pm

I received one set of 10k LP retroactively. Not clear why the second set didnt post at the same time. Perhaps each requires some other triggering activity and I only had one (from shopping)?
I believe that's right. I actually received "BONUS 2" before BONUS 1 - and they seemed to be triggered separately. Fingers crossed you get the second one as well, once it's triggered.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeFT
I believe that's right. I actually received "BONUS 2" before BONUS 1 - and they seemed to be triggered separately. Fingers crossed you get the second one as well, once it's triggered.
Uh, I looked at it more closely, and yes, its Bonus 2 that posted.
mikeFT likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 4:49 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Uh, I looked at it more closely, and yes, its Bonus 2 that posted.
Same thing happened to us. We each got the card after passing 90k LP. The bonuses posted triggered by separate events: BONUS2 followed by BONUS1.

Cheers.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
The wiki suggested that the posting of the 10k might be triggered by some other transaction posting (perhaps because that is a trigger for the system to evaluate the rule).
I now have a data point:

End-of-status year LP questions (2024 edition)

I received one set of 10k LP retroactively. Not clear why the second set didn’t post at the same time. Perhaps each requires some other triggering activity and I only had one (from shopping)?
DP: I applied for the card on Feb 26th. The card arrived on the 28th and I activated it on the 29th. I was over 250k LPs on the 29th, and I did not make any purchases with the card until March 2nd. Sometime late on March 1st or early on March 2nd the 10k LP "Executive Card Loyalty Points Bonus - Bonus 2" appeared in my AA activity listing with a Feb 29th activity date. So it doesn't look like you need to use the card to trigger the LP bonus.

As I mentioned above, the extra LPs only help me with upgrade prioritization, so fortunately not a big deal for me if the additional 10k appear or not.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
DP: I applied for the card on Feb 26th. The card arrived on the 28th and I activated it on the 29th. I was over 250k LPs on the 29th, and I did not make any purchases with the card until March 2nd. Sometime late on March 1st or early on March 2nd the 10k LP "Executive Card Loyalty Points Bonus - Bonus 2" appeared in my AA activity listing with a Feb 29th activity date. So it doesn't look like you need to use the card to trigger the LP bonus.
Did you get any other miles posted at that same time, from any other source? I don't believe anyone has ever said you needed to use THAT card to trigger the points drop, but it seems that those points only drop in conjunction with some other miles award activity - could be from some previous action on a different card or unrelated to card spending altogether. It hasn't been proven that it needs to be triggered by something else, but in most cases it seems to be.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer

As I mentioned above, the extra LPs only help me with upgrade prioritization, so fortunately not a big deal for me if the additional 10k appear or not.
Thanks for the DP.

In my case the LPs dont increase my status earned in the 2023 status year directly, but since I am on the Instant Status Pass treadmill, they help me meet the qualification challenges. 20k extra LP that I wasnt really counting on a week ago are quite a nice bonus. Basically, my $595 annual fee and $7k spend will earn me at least 77k RDM and 47k LP (assuming I pass the 50k and 90k milestones again in 2024).
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:08 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Did you get any other miles posted at that same time, from any other source? I don't believe anyone has ever said you needed to use THAT card to trigger the points drop, but it seems that those points only drop in conjunction with some other miles award activity - could be from some previous action on a different card or unrelated to card spending altogether. It hasn't been proven that it needs to be triggered by something else, but in most cases it seems to be.
I flew on Feb 29th and that flight posted on March 1st, so it's certainly possible that was the trigger. Other than that, there was no other activity in my account between Feb 26th and the flight posting.
mikeFT likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.