Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances
Avis/Budget, Grubhub credits
  • these typically post to your account when your statement closes
Lyft credits
  • per the T&C, "An “Eligible Ride” is any Lyft ride type, excluding business rides and bicycle and scooter rental rides."
  • credits are applied to your Lyft account, not your Citi account
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2024, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by Whats The Points
So bit the bullet and PC'd my MileUp card to the Exec. Honestly I feel a bit guilty seeing how much overlap there is with my Amex plat and Chase Sapphire Reserve cards, and I don't think I value the Admiral lounge membership too much. Mostly I'm just trying to make hitting plat status, and maybe plat pro a bit easier, and can use the Avis and grubhub pretty easily.

I noticed Citi stated that I had several weeks to cancel the PC, thought not sure if that can still be done after receiving and activating the new card.

Anyone else still able to justify this card if they don't value the lounge access?
It would be interesting to hear other flyers' opinions, but I think it would be hard to justify the annual cost of the card if you don't value the AC membership.
Old May 19, 2024, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by robertablake
It would be interesting to hear other flyers' opinions, but I think it would be hard to justify the annual cost of the card if you don't value the AC membership.
Additionally if you just did a PC to this product from an existing card, does that mean you didn't get any kind of sign-on bonus?
Old May 19, 2024, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Additionally if you just did a PC to this product from an existing card, does that mean you didn't get any kind of sign-on bonus?
I believe that is correct, at least that is the way it ways several years ago. That's what I did years ago, and didn't receive the sign-up bonus. I realized the error of my ways back then.
Old May 19, 2024, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
So bit the bullet and PC'd my MileUp card to the Exec. Honestly I feel a bit guilty seeing how much overlap there is with my Amex plat and Chase Sapphire Reserve cards, and I don't think I value the Admiral lounge membership too much. Mostly I'm just trying to make hitting plat status, and maybe plat pro a bit easier, and can use the Avis and grubhub pretty easily.
With the current 100k RDM Signup Bonus, I kind of wonder why you chose to PC instead of opening a new account. I have the MileUp card, and Citi had no problems approving me for an additional Exec card a few months ago. Perhaps you didn’t want a new account for Chase 5/24 purposes? Still, 100k is a big bonus…

Originally Posted by S80
What does your hotel booking strategy look like? If using AA hotels, the 10x is pretty great, but still is lower than something like the Amex Hilton Aspire (although it can be said AA miles are much more valuable)
I have the Aspire and use it for Hilton bookings, but I don’t actively pursue status with any chain through stays, so when I don’t stay at a Hilton brand, I usually use AA Hotels and the Exec Mastercard for LPs and piles of RDM. Basically, AA Hotels has replaced my Hotels.com “free agent” loyalty program for hotel stays.

Originally Posted by brp
We find the 20K LP worth the card on its own since we get EXP every year. The LP/$ ratio is good enough to justify the card cost. We do use the AC membership, so that’s an added bonus. But the LPs are sufficient for us to each have our own.
Yes, and in my first year of card membership I will, thanks to fortunate timing, actually get 40k LP. I got the card in late February when I already had > 100k LP, so I got 20k LP for the 2023 qualification period. And I already received the first 10k for this qualifying year and fully expect to pass 90k LP to get another 10k before the next annual fee.

well I do use the aspire sometimes though mostly working on Hyatt status at the moment so that really discourages portal bookings. That said it seems like you only need a few nights here and there to make good LPs and I do a reasonable amount of shopping portal and dining already so maybe that’ll be enough
Yes, I don’t book all my hotel stays with AA Hotels. Hilton I book direct and with Aspire Amex. My Hyatt stays I usually book with points. But 10x + whatever the AA Hotels portal pays is a good return on some of my non-chain stays.

I certainly assign some value to the lounge benefit. Many of my trips are on AS, flying through one of their hubs, so I actually expect to use AS lounges more often than AA lounges. And I am considering whether to cancel my Amex Plat next year now that I can get my wife for free into the AS lounges with this card, instead of paying for an AU Plat card.
Old May 20, 2024, 8:12 am

Yes, I have the EXEC and would not give it up. We usually bring 6 into AC's and reap the benefits of MCE seating so the benefits work and brings good value too. The financials in the AA program are really useful because the card helps boost in so many areas. 10X loyalty is really nice on AAhotels because we usually score cheap rooms with 15K base points. Combined with spend, three bookings usually put us beyond Platinum status (Plat Pro this year). But you also get 10X additional bonus miles on the price of these hotel stays as well. This brings the price of those booking to peanuts. Many people think the two 10K loyalty bonus is based on spend but it is based on your loyalty point balance at AA. So for Plat, you get a 10K loyalty boost along the way to earning that 75K.
Old May 23, 2024, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EP, Delta G, Marriott lt P, Hyatt, Radisson, etc etc etc
Has anyone had recent success adding this card to Google Pay (now Google Wallet) for tap to pay? There are posts about this going back years in here, and I've reached out to American to complain about it multiple times (since Citi keeps telling me it's an American policy). Well, I finally got a call from someone at American who seems legitimately interested in trying to track this down, but she says multiple of her colleagues have been able to add this exact card to Google Pay. I find that hard to believe since I still can't add mine (tried again today) and the Citi website still explicitly says that none of the Aadvantage cards are eligible for Google Pay.

Would be nice to verify that this is still not just a "me" problem - maybe a chorus of "me toos" would help finally get this sorted. I'm really appreciative that this woman is trying to hunt it down.
Old May 23, 2024, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by snare5117
Has anyone had recent success adding this card to Google Pay (now Google Wallet) for tap to pay? There are posts about this going back years in here, and I've reached out to American to complain about it multiple times (since Citi keeps telling me it's an American policy). Well, I finally got a call from someone at American who seems legitimately interested in trying to track this down, but she says multiple of her colleagues have been able to add this exact card to Google Pay. I find that hard to believe since I still can't add mine (tried again today) and the Citi website still explicitly says that none of the Aadvantage cards are eligible for Google Pay.

Would be nice to verify that this is still not just a "me" problem - maybe a chorus of "me toos" would help finally get this sorted. I'm really appreciative that this woman is trying to hunt it down.
I've had my Citi AA Exec card in my Google Pay profile for at least a year. No problems using it.
Old May 23, 2024, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I've had my Citi AA Exec card in my Google Pay profile for at least a year. No problems using it.
To be 100% clear: you use it to tap your phone to pay at NFC terminals?
I'm not just talking about having it in your Google Pay profile for payments online. I'm specifically talking about being able to use it to tap with your phone to pay.
Old May 23, 2024, 1:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

​​​​​Would be nice to verify that this is still not just a "me" problem - maybe a chorus of "me toos" would help finally get this sorted. I'm really appreciative that this woman is trying to hunt it down.
A few seconds ago.

Old May 23, 2024, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
A few seconds ago.

THANK YOU. Jeez, I was starting to feel like I was going insane. Even the Citi rep I first spoke to when I ran into this started with "You should absolutely be able to do it" and spent five minutes on technical stuff before realizing there's a policy limitation on Aadvantage cards. Although Citi still says it's an American policy and American is still claiming it's Citi's decision.
Old May 23, 2024, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Although Citi still says it's an American policy and American is still claiming it's Citi's decision.
Why would American permit tap to pay with Barclays AAdvantage Aviator MasterCard but not with the Citi AAdvantage MasterCards?
Old May 23, 2024, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Why would American permit tap to pay with Barclays AAdvantage Aviator MasterCard but not with the Citi AAdvantage MasterCards?
No idea. Why would Citi allow the card to work with Apple Pay and Samsung Pay but not Google Wallet?
Nothing about it makes any sense.
Old May 23, 2024, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Has anyone had recent success adding this card to Google Pay (now Google Wallet) for tap to pay? There are posts about this going back years in here, and I've reached out to American to complain about it multiple times (since Citi keeps telling me it's an American policy).
It’s annoying, but none of the Citi AA cards can apparently be added. I have tried with the MileUp and the Exec card. I think when I originally got the Exec card and I added it from the Citi site to my Amazon account (before the actual card arrived), there was some fine print somewhere indicating that AA cards can’t be added to the Google Wallet). The Aviator card from Barclays works fine, however.

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Google Payments is different. I don’t think you have it in your wallet for mobile payments with your phone.
Old May 23, 2024, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
there was some fine print somewhere indicating that AA cards can’t be added to the Google Wallet). The Aviator card from Barclays works fine, however.
Yep. The fine print is still there on Citi's sites (though confusingly, since they haven't updated it since Google switched from Pay to Wallet for tap to pay, it still says you can't add Aadvantage cards to Google Pay. But you can add the Aadvantage cards to Apple Pay or Samsung Pay; and as you pointed out, AA's Barclay cards work fine. Nobody can explain what this ridiculous limitation is about and it's really, really maddening.
Old May 23, 2024, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The “workaround”, if you want or need to put mobile spend on your Exec MC (say, for the signup bonus) is to buy eGift Visa giftcards via the AA shopping portal on giftcards.com and add those to your Android wallet. The extra benefit is that you also earn more miles and LP for everyday spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.