Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances
Avis/Budget, Grubhub credits
  • these typically post to your account when your statement closes
Lyft credits
  • per the T&C, "An Eligible Ride is any Lyft ride type, excluding business rides and bicycle and scooter rental rides."
  • credits are applied to your Lyft account, not your Citi account
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Old May 24, 2024, 5:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by snare5117
To be 100% clear: you use it to tap your phone to pay at NFC terminals?
I'm not just talking about having it in your Google Pay profile for payments online. I'm specifically talking about being able to use it to tap with your phone to pay.
Yes, but maybe I'm not understanding the issue. My Citi Executive / AAdvantage card is the only credit card in my phone wallet, and I've used it to tap-to-pay.
Old May 24, 2024, 5:31 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Yes, but maybe I'm not understanding the issue. My Citi Executive / AAdvantage card is the only credit card in my phone wallet, and I've used it to tap-to-pay.
I just saw, in a now deleted message, that you use an iPhone when you tap to pay. Are you sure that your phone is processing the contractless payment via Google Wallet as opposed to Apple Pay? There is no issue adding the Citi AAdvantage cards to Apple Pay.
Old May 24, 2024, 5:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
I just saw, in a now deleted message, that you use an iPhone when you tap to pay. Are you sure that your phone is processing the contractless payment via Google Wallet as opposed to Apple Pay? There is no issue adding the Citi AAdvantage cards to Apple Pay.
That's why I deleted that message. I'm thinking I wasn't understanding the issue.
Old May 24, 2024, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
That's why I deleted that message. I'm thinking I wasn't understanding the issue.
Yes, for some reason it is only Google Wallet that isnt supported. iPhones with Apple Wallet work. It really makes little sense. Other Citi credit cards can be added (eg my Strata Premier is in my wallet).
Old May 24, 2024, 7:42 am

I get around the GPay issue by adding PayPal and having the card as the payment for PayPal. Dumb but it works.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EP, Delta G, Marriott lt P, Hyatt, Radisson, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity
I get around the GPay issue by adding PayPal and having the card as the payment for PayPal. Dumb but it works.
When I tried to add my PayPal account to Google Wallet, the only option I got was to set up a "Paypal Balance" account:

"When you use PayPal with Google Pay to pay in-store, we’ll use the balance on your account to pay for the transaction. If there isn’t enough money in your PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus balance, we'll automatically use your bank or debit card to add money in increments of $10.00 USD to your balance to cover the purchase."

BarrenLucidity: are you saying that if you set your Citi card as the default payment method for PayPal, add your PayPal account to Google Wallet, and then use it to tap to pay at a store, PayPal will round up the total to the next $10 increment and then charge that to the Citi card? I guess that would work if so (though you're right, wow is that dumb). Be grateful if you would confirm, though - as I read it, and from what I see in threads on other sites, you can't add to your PayPal balance with a credit card. Only a bank account or debit card. But if this DOES work somehow, at least that would let me use the card more frequently without having to carry it around and dig it out of my wallet.

If it does work, do you end up with a growing balance in your PayPal account, or is it smart enough to apply what's left after a purchase toward the next purchase before charging the rest to the card?

Last edited by snare5117; May 24, 2024 at 2:51 pm
Old May 24, 2024, 10:02 pm

When I tried to add my PayPal account to Google Wallet, the only option I got was to set up a "Paypal Balance" account:

"When you use PayPal with Google Pay to pay in-store, well use the balance on your account to pay for the transaction. If there isnt enough money in your PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus balance, we'll automatically use your bank or debit card to add money in increments of $10.00 USD to your balance to cover the purchase."

BarrenLucidity: are you saying that if you set your Citi card as the default payment method for PayPal, add your PayPal account to Google Wallet, and then use it to tap to pay at a store, PayPal will round up the total to the next $10 increment and then charge that to the Citi card? I guess that would work if so (though you're right, wow is that dumb). Be grateful if you would confirm, though - as I read it, and from what I see in threads on other sites, you can't add to your PayPal balance with a credit card. Only a bank account or debit card. But if this DOES work somehow, at least that would let me use the card more frequently without having to carry it around and dig it out of my wallet.

If it does work, do you end up with a growing balance in your PayPal account, or is it smart enough to apply what's left after a purchase toward the next purchase before charging the rest to the card?
I just added PayPal as a provider and in PayPal preferences I set the in person payments to use the AA card as the default. You can remove PayPal balance from the equation.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:02 am

I just added PayPal as a provider and in PayPal preferences I set the in person payments to use the AA card as the default. You can remove PayPal balance from the equation.
Unfortunately - and yes, this is quite confusing - when PayPal says "in person payments," they're not referring to tap to pay via a PayPal account added to Google Wallet. They're only talking about the stores that allow you to pay directly with PayPal in person, via the PayPal app.

PayPal even pushes an alert directly into the Google Wallet app now when you add your PayPal account there, telling you that you can only use your PayPal balance to pay via PayPal via Google Wallet:

Edited to add: I did try it yesterday anyway. Didn't work. :|
Old May 25, 2024, 6:43 am

Unfortunately - and yes, this is quite confusing - when PayPal says "in person payments," they're not referring to tap to pay via a PayPal account added to Google Wallet. They're only talking about the stores that allow you to pay directly with PayPal in person, via the PayPal app.

PayPal even pushes an alert directly into the Google Wallet app now when you add your PayPal account there, telling you that you can only use your PayPal balance to pay via PayPal via Google Wallet:

Edited to add: I did try it yesterday anyway. Didn't work. :|
I suppose it's working because I don't carry a PayPal balance then and the default for me is the MasterCard
Old May 25, 2024, 7:56 am

I suppose it's working because I don't carry a PayPal balance then and the default for me is the MasterCard
I don't either and so is mine.

Have you actually tried paying this way in a store recently?
Old May 29, 2024, 9:32 pm

Lose LP bonuses for degree downgrade?

If you downgrade an Exec card before the annual renewal will AA reverse either way 10k LP bonus?
Old Jun 6, 2024, 9:35 am

This is a new one for me... Citi Executive Platinum card bill this month... I have 2 hotel reservations that I cancelled and rebooked for different times. For the first time EVER, my bill shows NEGATIVE LPs in the bonus part. Oh no! The regular earnings showed up on my AA account and the LP's were not deducted. The 'bonus LP's' n the negative amount were not posted on the AAdvantage site. However, it looks like next months credit card bill will have to catch up to those negative LP's in the bonus category. Sigh. It looks like returns will now be able to deduct LP's. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.
Old Jun 6, 2024, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by spiritkat09
This is a new one for me... Citi Executive Platinum card bill this month... I have 2 hotel reservations that I cancelled and rebooked for different times. For the first time EVER, my bill shows NEGATIVE LPs in the bonus part. Oh no! The regular earnings showed up on my AA account and the LP's were not deducted. The 'bonus LP's' n the negative amount were not posted on the AAdvantage site. However, it looks like next months credit card bill will have to catch up to those negative LP's in the bonus category. Sigh. It looks like returns will now be able to deduct LP's. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.
Is this new? I've always had returns deduct LPs, although I've never had a credit card statement itself go negative where the returns weren't more than offset by new purchases.
Old Jun 6, 2024, 8:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I ordered Grubhub a couple of weeks ago, and for some reason, instead of showing up as "grubhub" on the statement, it shows up as the name of the restaurant I ordered from "Gunju". I've never had that happen - does anyone know if that will be an issue for the Grubhub monthly credit? I'd rather not let it go to waste if that's an issue.

For comparison, normally it says Grubhub like this:

Old Jun 9, 2024, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Yes, for some reason it is only Google Wallet that isnt supported. iPhones with Apple Wallet work. It really makes little sense. Other Citi credit cards can be added (eg my Strata Premier is in my wallet).
I have now had folks from both American Airlines and Citi executive support reach out to me on this, multiple times, and nobody will take any responsibility for this. It is driving me crazy.
American's person is utterly confused as to the issue. They kept saying that they had even asked coworkers about it and people were telling them that they'd been able to add their Citi Executive Aadvantage cards to "Google Pay." I had to walk them through the differences between Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay/Wallet. We were finally able to get on the same page about being able to add the card to Google Pay to make payments on websites, but still being barred from adding it to Google Wallet for tap to pay in stores. Unfortunately, once we got to that point, they still had no idea what to do or what to tell me.
The latest rep I spoke to from Citi was very generous with her time but started out by telling me something she'd no doubt been handed by someone in IT - that I couldn't add the card to my Google Wallet because I was "using a VPN." Well, even leaving aside how little sense that explanation makes, I was able to point to this thread and say it was quite unlikely that all of the people on this thread with the same issue were also using a VPN. I also pointed out that Citi's own website says none of their Aadvantage cards can be used with Google Pay (technically they mean Google Wallet, but it's not their fault Google has rebranded the tap-to-pay digital wallet product so many times). To her credit, she then said "So that VPN explanation makes no sense, then." Nope, no it doesn't. But she still didn't have any explanation or any fix for it, not surprisingly.

I really cannot believe that in 2024, a major credit card issuer won't allow a line of cards to be used with a major digital wallet. It being an American policy makes no sense, because the American Barclays cards work with Google Wallet just fine. It doesn't make sense as a Citi policy either, because Citi's other cards work with Google Wallet just fine. So WHAT THE HECK. I swear, all it would take is probably two people getting on the phone and realizing that this goes back to some tech limitation from eight years ago that no longer exists, and that they could fix it in five minutes. It is absolutely pathetic that these two major companies can't get their act together and fix it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.