Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
As summarized in this Citi/AA press release, the benefits associated with this card changed on July 23, 2023. The new terms and conditions (T&Cs) can be found here.

10k Loyalty Point Bonuses
Reports on this thread to date suggest this benefit is being implemented in the following manner:
  • You are entitled to a 10k bonus if you surpass the 50k and/or 90k LP threshold by any means -- i.e. this is not limited to LPs earned by spend on your credit card. (For the current status year, it is still possible to earn a 10k bonus based on credit card spend -- see T&Cs for details.)
  • You must meet, or have met, these thresholds sometime during the current status year. It does not matter if you were a cardholder at the time you crossed the threshold.
  • Citi has not published any official information about when such 10k bonuses will post to your AA account
  • Experience to date suggests that once cardholders have crossed the 50k or 90k LP threshold, posting of the bonus is triggered by either (a) the closing of your current statement, or (b) a flight or other LP-earning activity (e.g. shopping portal).
  • In the case of (b) above, some bonuses are not posting correctly, and others have posted as being earned, but the points have not been added to people's balances.
  • UPDATE: Many 10k bonuses posted beginning 7/31/23 without flight or other activity, and multiple users have reported corrections to their LP balances
Avis/Budget, Grubhub credits
  • these typically post to your account when your statement closes
Lyft credits
  • per the T&C, "An “Eligible Ride” is any Lyft ride type, excluding business rides and bicycle and scooter rental rides."
  • credits are applied to your Lyft account, not your Citi account
Print Wikipost

Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions

Old Jun 9, 2024, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by snare5117
I have now had folks from both American Airlines and Citi executive support reach out to me on this, multiple times, and nobody will take any responsibility for this. It is driving me crazy.
American's person is utterly confused as to the issue. They kept saying that they had even asked coworkers about it and people were telling them that they'd been able to add their Citi Executive Aadvantage cards to "Google Pay." I had to walk them through the differences between Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay/Wallet. We were finally able to get on the same page about being able to add the card to Google Pay to make payments on websites, but still being barred from adding it to Google Wallet for tap to pay in stores. Unfortunately, once we got to that point, they still had no idea what to do or what to tell me.
The latest rep I spoke to from Citi was very generous with her time but started out by telling me something she'd no doubt been handed by someone in IT - that I couldn't add the card to my Google Wallet because I was "using a VPN." Well, even leaving aside how little sense that explanation makes, I was able to point to this thread and say it was quite unlikely that all of the people on this thread with the same issue were also using a VPN. I also pointed out that Citi's own website says none of their Aadvantage cards can be used with Google Pay (technically they mean Google Wallet, but it's not their fault Google has rebranded the tap-to-pay digital wallet product so many times). To her credit, she then said "So that VPN explanation makes no sense, then." Nope, no it doesn't. But she still didn't have any explanation or any fix for it, not surprisingly.

I really cannot believe that in 2024, a major credit card issuer won't allow a line of cards to be used with a major digital wallet. It being an American policy makes no sense, because the American Barclays cards work with Google Wallet just fine. It doesn't make sense as a Citi policy either, because Citi's other cards work with Google Wallet just fine. So WHAT THE HECK. I swear, all it would take is probably two people getting on the phone and realizing that this goes back to some tech limitation from eight years ago that no longer exists, and that they could fix it in five minutes. It is absolutely pathetic that these two major companies can't get their act together and fix it.
forget it, Jake. It’s Citi-town
Old Jun 10, 2024, 5:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
I have now had folks from both American Airlines and Citi executive support reach out to me on this, multiple times, and nobody will take any responsibility for this. It is driving me crazy.
American's person is utterly confused as to the issue. They kept saying that they had even asked coworkers about it and people were telling them that they'd been able to add their Citi Executive Aadvantage cards to "Google Pay." I had to walk them through the differences between Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay/Wallet. We were finally able to get on the same page about being able to add the card to Google Pay to make payments on websites, but still being barred from adding it to Google Wallet for tap to pay in stores. Unfortunately, once we got to that point, they still had no idea what to do or what to tell me.
The latest rep I spoke to from Citi was very generous with her time but started out by telling me something she'd no doubt been handed by someone in IT - that I couldn't add the card to my Google Wallet because I was "using a VPN." Well, even leaving aside how little sense that explanation makes, I was able to point to this thread and say it was quite unlikely that all of the people on this thread with the same issue were also using a VPN. I also pointed out that Citi's own website says none of their Aadvantage cards can be used with Google Pay (technically they mean Google Wallet, but it's not their fault Google has rebranded the tap-to-pay digital wallet product so many times). To her credit, she then said "So that VPN explanation makes no sense, then." Nope, no it doesn't. But she still didn't have any explanation or any fix for it, not surprisingly.

I really cannot believe that in 2024, a major credit card issuer won't allow a line of cards to be used with a major digital wallet. It being an American policy makes no sense, because the American Barclays cards work with Google Wallet just fine. It doesn't make sense as a Citi policy either, because Citi's other cards work with Google Wallet just fine. So WHAT THE HECK. I swear, all it would take is probably two people getting on the phone and realizing that this goes back to some tech limitation from eight years ago that no longer exists, and that they could fix it in five minutes. It is absolutely pathetic that these two major companies can't get their act together and fix it.
Reminds ?e of the discussions I had with Citi & AA years ago regarding this same issue. It's amazing how these two large companies can't even recognize and resolve this issue.
snare5117 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 6:28 pm

Lag for Grubhub credit

I feel like last month’s Grubhub credit posted after a few days but this month’s we’re at day 11 so far without credit…

EDIT just saw credits post at statement close, I’m too used to Amex I guess which are true monthly credits not once per statement
Old Jun 14, 2024, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by Whats The Points
I feel like last month’s Grubhub credit posted after a few days but this month’s we’re at day 11 so far without credit…
It usually posts at the very end of the billing cycle, i.e. on the day your statement clioses.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Posting to rant about my experience today. I have an international flight on hold that I want to buy today. Called the application line and asked if I apply can I get the account number today to make a flight purchase. The agent says let me look that up. He says you can only do that if you apply on aa.com. I apply on aa.com and am approved. I get the email with the last 4. I call Citi back and am routed to call center in India, and the agent says please call back in an hour we have a technical glitch and can not answer any questions. Really? The purchase would be more than half of the spending requirement for the bonus. I really cant believe that I have to wait for 7-10 days to be able to use this card. When I go to the citi app and site, it knows I have a new card, but I cant link it since I dont have the CVV. This is pretty poor for a high end (supposed) card.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Posting to rant about my experience today. I have an international flight on hold that I want to buy today. Called the application line and asked if I apply can I get the account number today to make a flight purchase. The agent says let me look that up. He says you can only do that if you apply on aa.com. I apply on aa.com and am approved. I get the email with the last 4. I call Citi back and am routed to call center in India, and the agent says please call back in an hour we have a technical glitch and can not answer any questions. Really? The purchase would be more than half of the spending requirement for the bonus. I really cant believe that I have to wait for 7-10 days to be able to use this card. When I go to the citi app and site, it knows I have a new card, but I cant link it since I dont have the CVV. This is pretty poor for a high end (supposed) card.
what happened when you called back after the technical glitch was fixed ? Did they tell you to wait 7-10 days for the physical card to arrive in the mail?
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 8:53 pm

I called back this am and managed to talk to a supervisor in the US who was very knowledgeable. Although he could not give me the full number and told me that the first card has to be sent out via regular mail due to the Patriot Act, (maybe?) he did tell me that the you need to have the pop up blocker turned on to get the temp number window on AA..com He indicated that he has had calls like mine before, and that there is no notification on AA.com that if you want the temp number you need to not pop up block. I told him I wasn't satisfied as a customer but was satisfied with his answers. It was also interesting that when I mentioned that I had an AA ticket on hold I was routed to AA ..first to AA customer service and then to the EXP desk, neither of which could help. I even asked if I could cancel the approval and re-apply but he indicated that the system would probably consider it a duplicate and not approve the application.

So I'm deciding what I want to do. I cant hold for 7 days and the SWU wont be there. I can also cancel the card within 31 or 37 days. I can find another routing when the card comes. This was not a time sensitive trip, just an advantageous routing and cost. Its hard to have all the ducks in a row the spend quickly updgrades, and 4x miles. I probably didnt pull the trigger quick enough Thanks for asking.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
My recollection is that when I applied and received instant approval, I was able to see the full account number online immediately. I do have additional Citi cards, though.
Old Jun 18, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Has anyone had recent success adding this card to Google Pay (now Google Wallet) for tap to pay? There are posts about this going back years in here, and I've reached out to American to complain about it multiple times (since Citi keeps telling me it's an American policy). Well, I finally got a call from someone at American who seems legitimately interested in trying to track this down, but she says multiple of her colleagues have been able to add this exact card to Google Pay. I find that hard to believe since I still can't add mine (tried again today) and the Citi website still explicitly says that none of the Aadvantage cards are eligible for Google Pay.

Would be nice to verify that this is still not just a "me" problem - maybe a chorus of "me toos" would help finally get this sorted. I'm really appreciative that this woman is trying to hunt it down.
I was not able to add any Citi AA card to Google Pay, but no problems adding to Samsung Pay.
Old Jun 19, 2024, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
My recollection is that when I applied and received instant approval, I was able to see the full account number online immediately. I do have additional Citi cards, though.
I see the new card in the mobile app but not the number, dont see it in the website at all. One more question on the extra LP points. So Im under 50K right now, but will go over this month. It's 50 K of spend on the new card and then there will be a bump that will show as an activity line on AA? also have another Citi card, but will move spend to the new card to make the bonus.
Old Jun 19, 2024, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I see the new card in the mobile app but not the number, dont see it in the website at all. One more question on the extra LP points. So Im under 50K right now, but will go over this month. It's 50 K of spend on the new card and then there will be a bump that will show as an activity line on AA? also have another Citi card, but will move spend to the new card to make the bonus.
The Citi Exec LP 10k bonuses at 50k and 90k are based on your total LP's from all sources, not your credit card spend. So you could spend $0 on your card but if you hit 50k LP from anything then you'll get the 10k LP bonus, same at 90k.
Old Jun 19, 2024, 4:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking. The two 10K Loyalty Points bonuses are triggered by LP thresholds, 50K and 90K, not necessarily credit card spending. You will receive the bonus after any activity posts which gets your account past 50K LP.
Old Jun 19, 2024, 5:16 pm

P.S. It took me a while to locate these two datapoints.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I have now (post Feb 29) received some additional LPs.

I ended the year on 2/29 with 96k LP. I made a Shopping purchase on 2/28 and expected 300 LP to post with a backdated date. That has now happened. I also recently opened an Executive card account, and since I had already passed the 50k and 90k thresholds, I was hoping to receive the 10k LP for each of those milestones so far. And finally my Executive statement closed a few days after the card was opened and I am expecting 5 LP from a single purchase posted on that statement.

Last night I received the following LP:

AA updated the number of LP in the “last year” tracker. It now shows 106k LP.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I got my Exec card late in February. By that time I had already passed 50k and I think also 90k (or was very close). The bonus for the 90k threshold (“Bonus 2” in the transaction description posted automatically, but the 50k bonus didn’t. I had to hassle AA a couple of times via chat, but it now finally posted, backdated to end of February. And it seems clear that they need some sort of “triggering transaction” to post the bonus even retroactively, because they gave me one RDM in some adjustment transaction with the same date:

Interesting “design”, but… whatever. At least I got my LP. The 10k didn’t push me to a higher status level for 2024 (missed PP by about 5k), but that’s okay because they do count towards Instant Status Pass and I have PE status because of that for likely the rest of the year if not longer anyway.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2024, 8:46 pm

Twa884..thank you so much for the answers and the threads you found. It's most appreciated. I did think the LP bonuses were spend based so this is actually better. I will go over 50K LP this month before the first statement of the exec card so it will be interesting to see if the LP bonus posts automatically. If not I know what to do. Just want to get the most benefit from this card.
Old Jun 19, 2024, 11:19 pm

I did think the LP bonuses were spend based so this is actually better.
The 10K LP bonuses are based upon total Loyalty Points accumulation. That includes credit card spending, flights, AA Hotels, AA Shopping, AA Dining, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.