Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by Benjh
Is there a note on the EMD itself that says refundable or not? How can I check what I received (even though I know you're probably right)?
My voucher has this:
"Restriction(s) / Restriction(s): (*M*NONREF EMD FOR FUTURE TRAVEL VALID 1YR ON AF-KL-DL-VS-KQ / REF ONLY AFTER 1YR FROM DOI **CORONAVIRUS**)"
I guess NONREF means non refundable...
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by Drew523
Called in to cancel my flight on April 27 and got email of cancelled flights same day.
Got an email confirming cancellation May 11 and stating that I will get refunded
Another email on June 1 that AF is processing refund and I should received the refund within 2 weeks,
June 3 my credit card was refunded.

I'm from the US, so I don't know how it will play out if your from the EU.
I received the refund confirmation yesterday and the refund letter this morning. So the overall processing time was not too terrible - request May 27th, refund letter June 15th. I wonder if it was accelerated because I inquired about the status recently on FB.

However the refund amount was short of exactly 11 USD. Did you have the same issue? I already wrote back and requested the full amount.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
IAD-AMS r/t scheduled for 4/10.
- Flight canceled on 3/23, voucher provided
- Agreed to refund on 4/12, refund tracking number provided
- DoT complaint filed 5/12
- Amex chargeback file 5/12
- Chargeback complete 6/15 (1 of 2 tickets)

Amex (US) said that they now provide the airlines 28 days to respond instead of 21 previously.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by DCAhome
IAD-AMS r/t scheduled for 4/10.
- Flight canceled on 3/23, voucher provided
- Agreed to refund on 4/12, refund tracking number provided
- DoT complaint filed 5/12
- Amex chargeback file 5/12
- Chargeback complete 6/15 (1 of 2 tickets)

Amex (US) said that they now provide the airlines 28 days to respond instead of 21 previously.
Thanks for the data point. So, since you didn't get your refund in a timely manner, you initiated a chargeback, which was successful? Great news. My issue is that I bought my ticket in December so I can't do a chargeback.... I think the limit is 90 days? So I'll be at the mercy of KLM.
Does anyone know if KLM will extend the November 30th date for rebooked travel? I simply can't travel until late December, job won't allow it. And fares are much higher then. So, might have to go with the refund.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: FB Platinum
If I book a non-refundable flight today 16th of July, for how long can I change travel dates without a fee? I assume no voucher will be given.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Thanks for the data point. So, since you didn't get your refund in a timely manner, you initiated a chargeback, which was successful? Great news. My issue is that I bought my ticket in December so I can't do a chargeback.... I think the limit is 90 days?
Most of the time the clock starts when you learn the flight has been cancelled.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by mfkne
Most of the time the clock starts when you learn the flight has been cancelled.
Really? I think it cancelled around March 24th, a few days before the flight (March 27th).
I thought that chargebacks were only doable for purchases within 90 days of purchase?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Thanks for the data point. So, since you didn't get your refund in a timely manner, you initiated a chargeback, which was successful? Great news. My issue is that I bought my ticket in December so I can't do a chargeback.... I think the limit is 90 days? So I'll be at the mercy of KLM.
Does anyone know if KLM will extend the November 30th date for rebooked travel? I simply can't travel until late December, job won't allow it. And fares are much higher then. So, might have to go with the refund.
Actually, the tickets were purchased on 7/21/2019, so well beyond 90 days. As I set up the charge-back with Amex, no one mentioned a 90-day limit to me.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: FB Gold, Sixt Gold
As another data point, requested a refund on 2 x vouchers today from Air France on FB messenger. After confirming I wanted a monetary refund received the following reply:
Thanks for your confirmation, Reload. We have requested the refund for both vouchers, the reference number is: XXXXXXXXXX You will receive an email as soon as your file will be handled. Thanks for understanding.
Just see how long it takes to go through, they haven't requested bank or CC details as yet. I'll post up once things (hopefully!) work out.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Reload
As another data point, requested a refund on 2 x vouchers today from Air France on FB messenger. After confirming I wanted a monetary refund received the following reply:

Just see how long it takes to go through, they haven't requested bank or CC details as yet. I'll post up once things (hopefully!) work out.
why should tbey request that. .... they have all
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:07 am
formerly airedalemom

Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......
What's the response time from AF on messenger/twitter or email?

I'ts been over a week since I sent messages and nothing.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Queen B

From my experience - other than an automated generic info - no response.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: FB Gold, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Queen B

I had a response in about 30 mins after getting past the virtual 'assistant'
Queen B likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I think they are proactively giving preference to higher-tier members... I get an answer fairly quickly-- within 20 minutes but my sister who has no status has been waiting over a week and nothing.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I think they are proactively giving preference to higher-tier members... I get an answer fairly quickly-- within 20 minutes but my sister who has no status has been waiting over a week and nothing.
I don’t know about that. I was still Platinum when I first contacted them back in March, now I’m Gold, and still nothing. And I mean - nothing. No money, no voucher, no option to change flights, no response other than - “due to high volume... it will take multiple weeks... to...do... whatever we feel like doing... once those multiple weeks pass...”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.