Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2020, 4:05 am

I have a September KLM flight which has been cancelled. It is the inbound of a return ticket (already flown the outbound). If I opt for a refund, how does KLM calculate the amount - is it a simple 50% of ticket value? If I opt for a voucher instead, can this be used by anyone on a different route or is it tied to the original ticket holder?
Old Jul 9, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: FB Plat
- No, it will be calculated based on the fare class of this specific leg (check your eticket). If outbound and inbound are on the same class, it should be around 50% of the ticket indeed (more or less depending on the taxes).
- Vouchers are nominative. Only the original ticket holder will be able to use it (on whatever route).
- As usual in these cases, keep in mind that one-way tickets are often considerably more expensive than return tickets. You may prefer to be re-routed to your PoD rather than opting for a voucher and having to buy a one-way ticket by yourself.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:53 am
formerly airedalemom

Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......
I received the refund but it’s short by $26.11 per ticket? That amount doesn’t match any fees. Very strange
I’ll contact them and see what the scoop is.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Queen B
I received the refund but it’s short by $26.11 per ticket? That amount doesn’t match any fees. Very strange
I’ll contact them and see what the scoop is.
Must be the interest charge for a refund :-)
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:53 am

Just called in yesterday for a cancelled AF return trip (ie: already flew the inbound) in May, which was to be YYZ-YUL-CDG-TLS. The roundtrip booking was a steal, so I didn't bother with credits.

Had no problems rebooking it for later this month with a better routing via KLM. Didn't even have to push them, their first offer was the best routing.

They waited on the phone to confirm I received the emailed ticket (just took a minute, but took me an extra minute to verify since it came in French).

Waiting on hold in EST for about 10-15 minutes, but quick and efficient once I got through. As a test, I tried calling the European number (2cents/minute for me), and got a quicker answer.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:56 pm

Hi guys, thought I could ask you all since it looks like we're all dealing with the same.
My flight was canceled by KLM due to Covid, I ended up accepting a voucher since I was hoping to fly with them again, but that's probably never going to happen. Do you guys know if it is possible to request a refund of the voucher that was issued? I already contacted KLM and I received a series of very conflicting and confusing answers, and ultimately they said they couldn't help.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
Did you guys have troubles while using your vouchers and been granted automatically the 15% bonus when booking through Air France website ?
I plan to fly next Sept '20. Only 2 of my 3 vouchers are accepted, without 15% bonus. The ticket price is higher than the sum of all vouchers. (I will not book through KLM so I cannot compare)

_______
From FAQ AF web site:
"If the price of your new ticket is greater than the value of your voucher, we will add a bonus of up to 15% to the value of your voucher.
To benefit from this offer, use your voucher to purchase a ticket from Air France or KLM before 31 October 2020, for a trip beginning no later than 15 June 2021.
The bonus applies during the purchase a new ticket:
  • on the vouchers issued as a result of the Covid-19 crisis, in exchange for tickets or options, if your flight was cancelled or if you decided to cancel your trip,
  • on the total amount of your vouchers, taxes and surcharges included."
Old Jul 16, 2020, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kat_
Hi guys, thought I could ask you all since it looks like we're all dealing with the same.
My flight was canceled by KLM due to Covid, I ended up accepting a voucher since I was hoping to fly with them again, but that's probably never going to happen. Do you guys know if it is possible to request a refund of the voucher that was issued? I already contacted KLM and I received a series of very conflicting and confusing answers, and ultimately they said they couldn't help.
Yes you can. You can do it online by going to the request a cash refund. There is an option to ask a refund for vouchers.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: IB Platinum *A Gold
Originally Posted by paulieccc
Email this morning to say that my mid Oct flight KL705 (AMS - GIG) has been cancelled so no longer need to worry about a voucher.
I was surprised to see this one being the domino as from all my legs; DUB>AMS, AMS>GIG, SCL > CDG, CDG>DUB, the one that was cancelled is the only one that has operated (and continues to fly) throughout COVID.
I was just about to book that flight to return to Brazil (provided the situation improves) at the end of October. Did KLM say that they were cancelling all flights to GIG in October or just the one on the date you booked?
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Yolow
Did you guys have troubles while using your vouchers and been granted automatically the 15% bonus when booking through Air France website ?
I plan to fly next Sept '20. Only 2 of my 3 vouchers are accepted, without 15% bonus. The ticket price is higher than the sum of all vouchers. (I will not book through KLM so I cannot compare)

_______
From FAQ AF web site:
"If the price of your new ticket is greater than the value of your voucher, we will add a bonus of up to 15% to the value of your voucher.
To benefit from this offer, use your voucher to purchase a ticket from Air France or KLM before 31 October 2020, for a trip beginning no later than 15 June 2021.
The bonus applies during the purchase a new ticket:
  • on the vouchers issued as a result of the Covid-19 crisis, in exchange for tickets or options, if your flight was cancelled or if you decided to cancel your trip,
  • on the total amount of your vouchers, taxes and surcharges included."
you can only use 2 vouchers per booking i think....
and mines also dont give 15%...
i always call
Yolow likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Rambol
Yes you can. You can do it online by going to the request a cash refund. There is an option to ask a refund for vouchers.
Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kat_
Thanks
in my experience Twitter is faster but others might have different info
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Wil973
you can only use 2 vouchers per booking i think....
and mines also dont give 15%...
i always call

2 phone calls, 4 operators and 2h15 later, vouchers had to be re-issued so as to take into account the +15% bonus. Last guy on the phone was really patient and professional.

I have a third voucher to use and surely entitled to same regularization routine.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: LH, DL
Originally Posted by kyushuman

3) For refunds-- I assume it's 3+ months still for the refund?
Thanks!
AF ticketed TATL with multiple cancellations, requested refund 7/7.
Informed refund would take 2-3 months.
Refund appeared on my credit card in less than one week.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by GMTmin8
AF ticketed TATL with multiple cancellations, requested refund 7/7.
Informed refund would take 2-3 months.
Refund appeared on my credit card in less than one week.
Same message for me on a KLM refund request; now I'm hoping to get it sooner than the promised 2-3 months! Wish me luck. I'll reply back here with my results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.