Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: FB Ultimate - BA EC - LH M&M - Accor All Gold
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
this doesn’t seem particularly attractive (and adds even more confusion)... or am I missing something?
The multiple before dates x, after dates y are beyond annoying. How about give us the refund NOW as is mandated by European law??
Agreed. My post was ironical.
Why would you wait 1 year to (possibly) get a refund of a voucher when you booked a (immediately) refundable ticket ?
They change today what they've just updated yesterday ant that they'll probably change again tomorrow.
They seem completely lost in their own policies.
Old May 29, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by SteveCanary
Agreed. My post was ironical.
Why would you wait 1 year to (possibly) get a refund of a voucher when you booked a (immediately) refundable ticket ?
They change today what they've just updated yesterday ant that they'll probably change again tomorrow.
They seem completely lost in their own policies.
lol. well it seemed so illogical that it seemed logical coming from them!
SteveCanary likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
Just had a fairly long discussion with a KLM phone agent regarding the 15% bonus. I was told that the online booking system should be updated to apply the bonus on Monday or Tuesday next week (1 or 2 June). She admitted that agents are very confused about the rules though and thought that Flying Blue members might be learning of them before agents are informed through official channels!

Will hold off booking for now, as 15% is a fair wedge on high-value vouchers.
Old May 31, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
This entire voucher story is a complete sh*t show really. I am still speechless by the way they and handling this whole mess. With KL saying one thing, AF saying something else, it's very annoying given that this is basically the same company who is supposed to share the same procedures. How complicated can it be to add 15% to existing and newly issued vouchers seriously ? It has been 2 weeks since they announced this new voucher bonification rule and it's still not working. Once again, I will know where to put my money once this crisis will be over, even LCC's which are not known for customer friendliness and for abiding that easily to regulations are doing better with the refund/voucher process.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:45 am

Got another email from AF/KLM regarding my 04/27/2020 refund request/process. Looks like it will be processing within 2 weeks. I believe when I see it of course but it seems like progress.

"Dear Sir,
Following your recent request, We are pleased to confirm that the amount of 280.84 USD will be credited back to the original credit card, which was used for the payment, within 2 weeks approximately.
Depending on the bank, please allow more time for the transaction to show on the statement.
Thank you for choosing Air France and we look forward to welcoming you on board another of our flights very soon."
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Drew523
Got another email from AF/KLM regarding my 04/27/2020 refund request/process. Looks like it will be processing within 2 weeks. I believe when I see it of course but it seems like progress.

"Dear Sir,
Following your recent request, We are pleased to confirm that the amount of 280.84 USD will be credited back to the original credit card, which was used for the payment, within 2 weeks approximately.
Depending on the bank, please allow more time for the transaction to show on the statement.
Thank you for choosing Air France and we look forward to welcoming you on board another of our flights very soon."
That's great! I presume you're in the US? (from the date format)
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
That's great! I presume you're in the US? (from the date format)
Correct, I'm from the US. Email and refund request was processed from Air France US. Letter via PDF was sent from AF US Refund Department.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Drew523
Correct, I'm from the US. Email and refund request was processed from Air France US. Letter via PDF was sent from AF US Refund Department.
Thank the DOT... sadly they are still playing games here in Europe...no such luck GRRR
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:25 am

2 days after my confirmation email from Air France US. I got my flight refunded back onto my Amex card today. Surprised it came today, thought it would be another few weeks honestly.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SteveCanary
New policy change for AF on May 28th. Wow ! In case of voluntary cancellation, they now "offer" refundable vouchers only for refundable original tickets...

I have a trip scheduled in J from JFK-CDG for early August, and not sure if I can/want to travel. So, would like to cancel my trip. Am I eligible for a full refund (as opposed to a voucher)?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: FB Ultimate - BA EC - LH M&M - Accor All Gold
Originally Posted by metalblaze
I have a trip scheduled in J from JFK-CDG for early August, and not sure if I can/want to travel. So, would like to cancel my trip. Am I eligible for a full refund (as opposed to a voucher)?
No. AF have now corrected the mess in their policy (see the link in the wiki). For voluntary cancel you'll only get a non-refundable voucher.
You need to wait for the eventual cancellation of your flight to be eligible for a full refund.
metalblaze likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:23 am

Apologies if this has been covered already in the thread but has anyone had luck rebooking a cancelled KLM flight through Facebook chat and/or What's App? Tried to send a FB message and got an automated response with some generic COVID info. Not sure if an agent will eventually respond. Currently waiting for a response on What's App. Just wondering whether it's a futile effort and I'm better off phoning.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Jpsartre
Apologies if this has been covered already in the thread but has anyone had luck rebooking a cancelled KLM flight through Facebook chat and/or What's App? Tried to send a FB message and got an automated response with some generic COVID info. Not sure if an agent will eventually respond. Currently waiting for a response on What's App. Just wondering whether it's a futile effort and I'm better off phoning.
No but Twitter yes, many times. Last night for one.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:13 am

Thanks, will give that a try.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Jpsartre
Thanks, will give that a try.
They are generally pretty fast- good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.