Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 11:09 am

I booked flights at the start of the year directly on the Air France website for travel at the end of July. In discounted Premium Economy (A). The Air France website says on the COVID page I can change my booking in "My Bookings" but when I log in my booking says "Your reservation cannot be modified online. For more information please contact your point of sale."

Is there any way I can sort this out without trying to speak to someone?
Old May 10, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by mastutio
I booked flights at the start of the year directly on the Air France website for travel at the end of July. In discounted Premium Economy (A). The Air France website says on the COVID page I can change my booking in "My Bookings" but when I log in my booking says "Your reservation cannot be modified online. For more information please contact your point of sale."

Is there any way I can sort this out without trying to speak to someone?
To say the website is temperamental is an understatement. You can try waiting a day or two and it might sort itself out, but it may be that you just have to call. One thing to check is that you are on the same website and country setting that you bought your ticket from. For example if you bought from airfrance.fr with your country set to France, make sure you're not going to airfrance.com. It's supposed to redirect you, but it doesn't always. You can also try the social media teams.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mfkne
Not so fast about Europe - my Dutch AMEX accepted a chargeback within 5 days.
Accepted for processing or has your claim been approved already?
Old May 11, 2020, 4:05 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Accepted for processing or has your claim been approved already?
From reporting to the definitive credit it took 5 days. 10 days later I had the money back in my bank account. That was back at the end of March, by the way.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
From reporting to the definitive credit it took 5 days. 10 days later I had the money back in my bank account. That was back at the end of March, by the way.
Amex in NL credits refunds to your bank account so quickly? Refunds on my French and Italian cards go onto my Amex account and are refunded only if I have a credit balance for moire than a billing cycle...
Old May 11, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Amex in NL credits refunds to your bank account so quickly? Refunds on my French and Italian cards go onto my Amex account and are refunded only if I have a credit balance for moire than a billing cycle...
In my case it was a cancelled card, and I actually called them immediately once the permanent credit arrived on the card to have it refunded. I had a balance on that card before (after cancelling it), and back then they sent me a letter asking them to call them to tell them where to refund the money, so that's why I didn't wait this time.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
In my case it was a cancelled card, and I actually called them immediately once the permanent credit arrived on the card to have it refunded. I had a balance on that card before (after cancelling it), and back then they sent me a letter asking them to call them to tell them where to refund the money, so that's why I didn't wait this time.
ah. Makes sense.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:22 am

Received another email from AF stating that my cancellation request was processed on 04/27 and I will be getting a refund. I had submitted the online form back in mid April but since I didn't get any notice, I ended up calling in on April 26 to cancel and they sent confirmation of the cancellation next day. At least I know I'll be a getting a refund. They stated it can take up 8 weeks. Let's see if I get it back my the end of June
Old May 11, 2020, 9:31 pm

I received my KLM voucher. Now how do I use it? Do I have to call in and make a booking to use it? It seems to imply I can use it online but there are so many numbers on my voucher I wouldn't even know what to input. Is is the same process if I wanted to use it towards a Kenya Airlines flight? Also, voucher says it expires from 1 yr it was issued. Does that mean I have to travel within 1 yr of it being issued? Or that I need to book within 1 yr? Thanks!
Old May 11, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Bleepo
I received my KLM voucher. Now how do I use it? Do I have to call in and make a booking to use it? It seems to imply I can use it online but there are so many numbers on my voucher I wouldn't even know what to input. Is is the same process if I wanted to use it towards a Kenya Airlines flight? Also, voucher says it expires from 1 yr it was issued. Does that mean I have to travel within 1 yr of it being issued? Or that I need to book within 1 yr? Thanks!
you can use the EMD number on the voucher, that’s the code you are supposed to enter, to be entered at the payment stage of your booking, either online on AF or KL website, or over the phone (not available through OTA obviously)

you can buy any flight coded AF or KL on their website, including flights operated by Kenya airways (though in this case that would most likely include flights to/from European destinations and a handful of African destinations. Flight between Nairobi and Mumbai for instance, would not be available as they don’t have AF or KL codeshares)

you have to book within a year, to effectively travel between now and 2 years from now. So usually date of booking +365 days is the limit, and date of booking can be up to 1 year after your voucher was issued
Old May 12, 2020, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by offvoice
you can use the EMD number on the voucher, that’s the code you are supposed to enter, to be entered at the payment stage of your booking, either online on AF or KL website, or over the phone (not available through OTA obviously)

you can buy any flight coded AF or KL on their website, including flights operated by Kenya airways (though in this case that would most likely include flights to/from European destinations and a handful of African destinations. Flight between Nairobi and Mumbai for instance, would not be available as they don’t have AF or KL codeshares)

you have to book within a year, to effectively travel between now and 2 years from now. So usually date of booking +365 days is the limit, and date of booking can be up to 1 year after your voucher was issued
normally new vouchers are valide until 12/31/21
Old May 12, 2020, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Bleepo
It seems to imply I can use it online but there are so many numbers on my voucher I wouldn't even know what to input.
It is a 13-digit number beginning by 057 for AF or 074 for KL.
If you have a FB account and are connected to your profile for a booking, your available EMD appear automatically in the voucher section of the payment page so you don't have to enter all the digits. At least this is true for AF website (not sure for KL).
Bleepo and SkyteamEP like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:36 am

I am trying to obtain a refund for a transatlantic flight from Air France. Their Hungary regional office in charge of the ticket is saying there is a 20 EUR "refund fee" which is an "administrative fee". They also confirmed, after I asked, that this fee is not in the fare conditions and is an internal policy that they cannot share. Also, they said, after I sought further clarification:
"In case of a voluntary ticket cancellation, you will be charged with a 20 euro refund fee per ticket."

Is this BS? Is this allowed under EU regulations? I searched through this thread and could not find mention of this issue yet. Wonder if any other have seen this. If I accept the refund minus the fee, it would make chargeback with Amex or Chase much more complicated I assume.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by princesakura
I am trying to obtain a refund for a transatlantic flight from Air France. Their Hungary regional office in charge of the ticket is saying there is a 20 EUR "refund fee" which is an "administrative fee". They also confirmed, after I asked, that this fee is not in the fare conditions and is an internal policy that they cannot share. Also, they said, after I sought further clarification:
"In case of a voluntary ticket cancellation, you will be charged with a 20 euro refund fee per ticket."

Is this BS? Is this allowed under EU regulations? I searched through this thread and could not find mention of this issue yet. Wonder if any other have seen this. If I accept the refund minus the fee, it would make chargeback with Amex or Chase much more complicated I assume.
Was the flight cancelled by the airline or did you voluntarily cancel the trip because you can't/don't want to travel ?
Old May 12, 2020, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Was the flight cancelled by the airline or did you voluntarily cancel the trip because you can't/don't want to travel ?
As far as I know, the airline cancelled the flight.

The ticket is fully refundable, with no fee, according to the fare conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.