Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
KLM - Coronavirus cancellation policy/waivers/refund

I did not see a thread on this issue. We have an AMS-FCO roundtrip flight 3/28 through 4/1. I tried sending a DM on twitter to KLM about their policy and got sent down a rabbit hole.

Does anyone have any suggestions on if cancellation with a refund is even in the cards? Another option would be would they rebook us from AMS to maybe somewhere less viral?? But of course in three weeks who knows where that may be.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by shmom
Does anyone have any suggestions on if cancellation with a refund is even in the cards?
You can read their full refund and rebook policy for Italy on their website.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Antarctica?

You live in a world with tons of viruses on every corner. On an average day, well over 1,000 people will die of the flu. And that's just for starters.

Johan
Yes I absolutely agree! Our concern would be issues trying to get back into the US after a trip to Italy. Would our boys be told they can't go to school? That would be fun. Here everyone is cancelling Italy trips, two local schools are not going for spring break. It is on everyone's radar for sure.

The KLM website hasn't been updated for several days and only addresses travel through 3/15. Clearly lots of folks are second guessing their April trips.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You can read their full refund and rebook policy for Italy on their website.
Unfortunately they have not updated their website for several days and the information they do have is only for flights between now and 3/15.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately they have not updated their website for several days and the information they do have is only for flights between now and 3/15.
Indeed, but you are incorrect if you think they update the Italian advice day by day.

However, you will see that they are not allowing destination changes - only date changes - so don't expect you can change this ticket into a trip to a country other than Italy!

Keep an eye on the website, because if/when your flight becomes eligible for rebooking, that's where the information will be posted.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Indeed, but you are incorrect if you think they update the Italian advice day by day.

However, you will see that they are not allowing destination changes - only date changes - so don't expect you can change this ticket into a trip to a country other than Italy!

Keep an eye on the website, because if/when your flight becomes eligible for rebooking, that's where the information will be posted.
Thank you for pointing out the no destination change option. I didn't catch that.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
Health professionals and experts on the travel industry in general are saying do not be too scared at the moment. Most cases are way outside tourist areas and it will depend on where you are going. For example, if you're off to Rome, Naples or even Venice for the most part. You'll be fine unless something dramatically changes. Of course up to yourself on you weighing up the probabilities etc.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lawrious
Of course up to yourself on you weighing up the probabilities etc.
The main issues of concern are of a practical nature, i.e. the risk of travel disruption due to airlines canceling flights, closed museums and other tourist attractions, countries suddenly barring entry to those coming from (certain parts of) Italy, or imposing quarantine on such persons.

Johan
irishguy28 and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:28 am

Parents flew MXP-AMS last week, and now I was trying to rebook their return a couple of days earlier than planned since I don't want to risk them getting stuck here

The online rebooking fails, do you think this is because of the clause in the waiver of "your journey hasn't started"?

I tried to contact them on Twitter, maybe they can help.

Thank you!
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Now it appears from the updated website that flights can be changed and the destination through April? I suppose I will call to confirm. There is also something wonky about the website on my computer - I cannot see the log in screen. I have tried several different browsers with no luck. Only on my phone with the app can I see my flight.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is also something wonky about the website on my computer - I cannot see the log in screen.
The KL website? I encounter that issue periodically, but only at work where everything and anything online has to jump through any number of security and content filter hoops. Half the time I'm also on a satellite network that's so slow that many websites load only partially before timing out. KL's is sometimes one of them.

Johan
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by johan rebel
The main issues of concern are of a practical nature, i.e. the risk of travel disruption due to airlines canceling flights, closed museums and other tourist attractions, countries suddenly barring entry to those coming from (certain parts of) Italy, or imposing quarantine on such persons.

Johan
Right, what Johan said. You can weight the risks yourself, but some countries might impose blanket bans or quarantine rules and then you're kind of in a bad place.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now it appears from the updated website that flights can be changed and the destination through April? I suppose I will call to confirm. There is also something wonky about the website on my computer - I cannot see the log in screen. I have tried several different browsers with no luck. Only on my phone with the app can I see my flight.
Yes, that is correct.

If you try logging in from a different computer/browser - or just clear the browser cache - you should be able to rebook yourself online. It shouldn't be necessary to call in, and I expect they are dealing with higher call volumes than normal right now.

They're still not allowing refunds unless your flight is cancelled - though given that they appear to be pruning their schedule to Italy, there is a good chance that either the outbound or the inbound, or both, may be cancelled, allowing you to apply for a full refund.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I have a trip to TRN booked for late March. I would like to switch for a trip to Germany on the same dates -- at least then I can use the airport car parking I have booked and paid for!
But the Germany trip will be at least 60 UKP more. Can this be done online easily?
My hotel in Italy has been paid for and is non-cancellable, unfortunately. I suspect my travel insurance may not pay out on this, as UK government does not officially advise against travel to northern Italy, just the quarantine areas in the Milan area.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Email just in from KL

"Reisplannen of heb je al geboekt, maar twijfel je of je reis door kan gaan? Dan biedt KLM je de helpende hand. Je kunt nu tijdelijk zonder kosten je ticket wijzigen; dat scheelt tot wel €150 per ticket. Je kunt zowel de periode als de bestemming wijzigen. Deze optie geldt voor alle tickets op KLM, Air France en Delta Air Lines vluchten wereldwijd, voor boekingen tot en met 31 maart 2020 en voor reizen met vertrek tot en met 31 mei 2020. Zo ben je flexibel en bepaal je zelf wanneer je vliegt en waarheen.

Wil je de datum van je reis aanpassen? Je nieuwe vertrekdatum dient uiterlijk 31 mei 2020 te zijn. De kosten van een mogelijk tariefsverschil blijven gelden. Wijzig eenvoudig je ticket via ‘Mijn Reis’ op
klm.nl of via de KLM app.

Wil je liever na 31 mei 2020 reizen of wil je jouw bestemming wijzigen? Ruil dan je ticket om voor een tegoedbon. Deze bon is inwisselbaar voor een ticket van KLM, Air France of Delta Air Lines, of voor het kopen van extra opties voor KLM-vluchten
."

Any and all KL/AF/DL tickets for travel this month may be rebooked for free. Both date of travel (as long as departure is no later than May 31st) and destination may be changed. Difference in fare still to be paid. Bookings may also be canceled in exchange for a voucher redeemable on KL/AF/DL.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.