Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: KLM
I sent my refund request a week ago with no email response from them and repeatedly on my KLM account was displayed "No upcoming trip". This was by logging in on the desktop. Alarming.

I downloaded the app and entered my booking ID. Shows that flights all cancelled. No sign of refund, or a voucher. Not sure what to do. Don't want to be put on hold for ages on the phone. Just...don't know what to do. KLM's marketing of their rebooking policy looks good on the surface but they don't seem prepared to manage it nor keep us informed or at least a timeline would be useful.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:11 am

Does it also apply to award tickets? I assume it should since they mention "Zero change fees on all tickets".
Edited: and which is of course leads me to very interesting line of thinking, since to the best of my knowledge all award tickets are booked into the same booking class for respective class of service. I guess you see what I'm driving at...
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by EKorSQ
I booked a ticket on airfrance.com and get this message when I try to change my flight(s) online: "Your ticket was booked with (inclusive) tour fares. If you booked the ticket directly via KLM, please contact us offline. If you booked the ticket via an agent, contact them Service ID number: MS028." I guess I'll have to call them. Is anybody else getting the same?
I had a similar situation, it was not possible to change my KLM ticket online.

KLM support via Messenger seemed overwhelmed, twelve hours later they had not even read my message.

I phoned the KLM contact centre and within five minutes a very pleasant lady had changed my flight as requested.

Thank you KLM.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:52 pm

My returning flight was just canceled last night for a DPS-SIN flight segment. Messaged them on Twitter since the website wasn't moving and they replied to say they'd look into it but no reply this morning. Jumped on the website again and was able to change the flight to the next day with no cost.

In the email they offer hotel+transport if the rebooking extends overnight so we'll see how painful it is to get this part sorted out.

I'm trying to get a letter from them to state the reason for cancellation with the new booking time in case I can submit a claim on my travel insurance for trip delay since it's way over 6 hours (ticket+travel insurance purchased last year) but I'll have to check whether my insurance aligns with their reason (I have a Singaporean travel insurance plan as well as what is covered by my Chase CSR card)

Edit:
Just got the certificate from their website on the canceled flight but it doesn't state the reason. Not sure whether I'll be able to make a claim to at least cover food costs for the 24hr trip dely

Letter text:
Proof of flight cancellation
Amsterdam, 08 March 2020
KLM hereby certifies that the following flight was cancelled:
Flight number: KLxxxx
Scheduled departure date: xx March 2020
Scheduled departure time: 21h30
Departing from: Denpasar-Bali-Bali Island - Ngurah Rai International (DPS) Indonesia
Arriving at: Singapore-Changi (SIN) Singapore
This certificate shall in no way be construed or used as an admission of liability.
KLM Customer Contact Centre

Last edited by goodtasting; Mar 7, 2020 at 10:03 pm
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
My return flight NRT-AMS suddenly showed 0 availability in any booking class. Called the platinum service line to ask whether the flight would be operated at all, answer was yes. Asked if they were sure, yes they checked 2 systems.

Shortly after that I received an email, flight cancelled (4 days ahead). With an AF flight departing around the same time and a CDG-AMS flight departing 1h20 later and a final arrival time approx 2h later then NRT-AMS in KL directly, I expected to be rebooked on that one. But no, they decided to rebook NRT-HEL-AMS all on AY arriving at AMS 2h50 past the original schedule. Interesting.

With 18 empty seats in J most probably they didn’t want to fly empty planes to Japan, though I didn’t call yet to ask what happened.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by maxvor
Does it also apply to award tickets? I assume it should since they mention "Zero change fees on all tickets".
Yes, of course it applies also to award tickets

Originally Posted by maxvor
Edited: and which is of course leads me to very interesting line of thinking, since to the best of my knowledge all award tickets are booked into the same booking class for respective class of service. I guess you see what I'm driving at...
No I don't. Please clarify.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Yes, of course it applies also to award tickets

No I don't. Please clarify.
Unless I miss something it should be an easy strategy to beat dynamic award pricing if you have no flexibility about dates you need to travel on.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
I just called KLM to rebook a ticket and have two questions:

- The lady said the corona virus change fee waiver only applies once. I cannot find any information on that on KLM‘s website. Do you know if I can only change my booking for free one time?

- I wanted to change to flights that I can a) find availability on and b) even for the same price of my original ticket when I do a new test-booking. The lady was not able to find any availability on that flights, not even in a more expensive booking class. Is that a known issue with KLM? I thought if there is J available, it is available no matter if I want to book it in a new booking or rebook into it in an existing one.

Thank you!
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Billyfergus
From KLM Website:-

Rebook your flight

While most of our schedule is not impacted by the outbreak of the Coronavirus, we are extending the rebooking possibilities to all our flights.

If you have a KLM ticket starting with 074, issued on or before Tuesday 31 March 2020, and valid for travel between Wednesday 4 March 2020 and Sunday 31 May 2020, regardless of the destination, you can postpone your trip at no extra cost. View your flight details or change your booking directly in My Trip.
i bought my tickets via KLM US, and they got issued on 006 stock. Does it mean it’s not qualifying for rebooking/voucher?

I bought tickets directly from KLM US and got them issued on 006 stock. It seems unfair that those tickets wouldn’t qualify for that travel waiver.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by smartytravel
i bought my tickets via KLM US, and they got issued on 006 stock. Does it mean it’s not qualifying for rebooking/voucher?

I bought tickets directly from KLM US and got them issued on 006 stock. It seems unfair that those tickets wouldn’t qualify for that travel waiver.
006 is Delta ticket stock and I would check with Delta since they also have waivers right now for the corona virus.
If flights are operated by KLM you could still check with KLM and see what they say.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: EK, AF, SQ, LH, AA
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by EKorSQ
I booked a ticket on airfrance.com and get this message when I try to change my flight(s) online: "Your ticket was booked with (inclusive) tour fares. If you booked the ticket directly via KLM, please contact us offline. If you booked the ticket via an agent, contact them Service ID number: MS028." I guess I'll have to call them. Is anybody else getting the same?

All are on AF metal, business class, booked mid-February...
I now have a "You may modify your flight if you wish" pop-up on the Air France homepage, and it allows me to change flights online. Well done AF!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Any word on KQ (Kenya Airways)?
It seems KQ only allows modifications for tickets booked after march the 5th (assuming it's not a CAN ticket since this flight has simply been cancelled for the time being). If your KQ flight was sold by AF, then AF conditions should apply.

For AF, I was able to change tickets online on a Light fare at no cost, to leave my departure city one day earlier (more suitable to my travel plans). So I'm guessing system-wise they just switched all tickets with departure within the assigned time-frame to full flex, with no conditions.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Award travel reimbursement: success

Made FB Reward booking for PDX>HND four months ago to enjoy Sakura in Kyoto. Several of the cultural events we also booked have since been cancelled due to COVID-19. Wished to take advantage of rescheduling/cancellation options recently posted to both KLM and Delta sites. Delta (carrier) could not assist us, only the ticketing airline (KLM/Flying Blue program in this case) could do so. Could make no changes via My Trips, given the use of Reward miles. Called FB five times yesterday, averaging 45 minutes hold time per call, before being disconnected each time. Also tried Twitter, was sent a form response asking me to... call the FB Help Centre. Then tried email link. THIS is what worked. 12 hours later, an email reply from KLM informed me my cancellation request had been approved, with my Reward miles added back to my FB balance. Confirmed via KLM/FB app: all miles reimbursed, plus airport tax costs credited back to AMEX. Resolved!
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:35 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Called and cancelled JFK-CDG award flight for end of this month. Redeposit fee waived. CSR could not have been nicer.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:52 am

received an email from Orbitz saying no waiver in effect for our tickets. All fees and penalties would apply. Really stinks as will likely be subjected to 14 day quarantine if we were to go. Hopefully can talk with someone that can make the adjustment.

The entire waiver if you bought tickets after March 5 does not sit well with me. If you want to give us your money now we’ll be flexible but if we have your money already, then....

Originally Posted by offvoice
It seems KQ only allows modifications for tickets booked after march the 5th (assuming it's not a CAN ticket since this flight has simply been cancelled for the time being). If your KQ flight was sold by AF, then AF conditions should apply.

For AF, I was able to change tickets online on a Light fare at no cost, to leave my departure city one day earlier (more suitable to my travel plans). So I'm guessing system-wise they just switched all tickets with departure within the assigned time-frame to full flex, with no conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.