Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
KLM has updated the rebook policy with a cabin-to-cabin requirement instead of fare class:

Do I understand correctly that rebooking now is completely free of charge until 30 November, as long as the same travel class is available? I.e. no fare difference is to be paid?
I don't seem to be able to make such a change online. Perhaps the booking system has not caught up with the new policy yet.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue, HH, Melia and many others
[MENTION=738700]stepfel[/MENTION] : Costa Rica refuses all foreigners from 18 Mar at 23:59 until 12 Apr at 23:59, so I guess there are no more flights and AF and KLM said they are reducing by 70 to 90% their flight offers, may be thats why you don't find flights. But depending on what dates you are travelling.

Last edited by source05; Mar 17, 2020 at 2:04 pm Reason: made a mistake
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:56 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've got a spring Air France trip and just came here to find out the policy. Thank you for the wiki. It is very helpful.

The policy was updated today.

Due to increasing travel restrictions, and faced with a sharp decline in demand, we will be reducing our flight capacity by up to 90% over the next few days. This capacity reduction is currently planned to last 2 months. We are continuously monitoring the situation to adjust our services in real time.

If you have purchased a ticket for a flight departing before 31 May 2020, you have until 30 September 2020 to postpone your departure date without change fees. Your new trip must begin no later than 30 November 2020 included.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH FTL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by source05
[MENTION=738700]stepfel[/MENTION] : Costa Rica refuses all foreigners from 18 Mar at 23:59 until 12 Apr at 23:59, so I guess there are no more flights and AF and KLM said they are reducing by 70 to 90% their flight offers, may be thats why you don't find flights. But depending on what dates you are travelling.
Currently the direct flights are still scheduled and today's flight happened.

And - for the 28th the direct flight is even still bookable - in C

Last edited by stepfel; Mar 17, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:14 pm

I'm at the destination end of my open-jaw, with the return from Toronto to Toulouse in early May on mostly AF metal. Booked via Expedia.

I'm happy to have the return cancelled or deferred. Or would they refund 50% of purchase price? Or ???
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
So, is the consensus that KLM cancels these flights only 24-48 hours before the STD?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue, HH, Melia and many others
Originally Posted by stepfel
Currently the direct flights are still scheduled and today's flight happened.

And - for the 28th the direct flight is even still bookable - in C
You are right, I am on the flight on Friday but to enter Costa Rica from today you have to be Costa Rican, crew member or permanent resident.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
If we are playing chicken with AFKL regarding cancellations, what is the best source of information about this other than the airline itself? AFKL will attempt to obfuscate this information on their own channels.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by majik
If we are playing chicken with AFKL regarding cancellations, what is the best source of information about this other than the airline itself? AFKL will attempt to obfuscate this information on their own channels.

Stay up to date with official Government advises , IATA resources and AFKL itself.
Check the flight status regularly.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH FTL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by source05
You are right, I am on the flight on Friday but to enter Costa Rica from today you have to be Costa Rican, crew member or permanent resident.
I don't want to enter, I want to leave...
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by kyushuman
So, is the consensus that KLM cancels these flights only 24-48 hours before the STD?
Based on my observations, yes. Flight I am monitoring was canceled today, shows "Contact Airline" for tomorrow and operating as normal on Friday.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:11 pm

I am finally rebooked for SJO-AMS-TXL. But how likely is it that this flight is happening (on 28th)? Should I rely on it or rather take the German Government organized flights if they do Costa Rica? Hard decision...
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by Paul74
Stay up to date with official Government advises , IATA resources and AFKL itself.
Check the flight status regularly.
I'm thinking more along the lines of tools to check zeroed out availability on supposedly scheduled flights.

For example I have AF flight coming up which is no longer available in the ITA matrix. I don't have Experflyer but I imagine it is not showing there too.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
I'm thinking more along the lines of tools to check zeroed out availability on supposedly scheduled flights.

For example I have AF flight coming up which is no longer available in the ITA matrix. I don't have Experflyer but I imagine it is not showing there too.
I have ExpertFlyer and can confirm many flights does don't show up there any longer (despite no official cancellation on the KLM website).
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb

You should be able to see it in Matrix if you uncheck the box "Only show flights and prices with available seats", then a flight that is J0Y0 but not cancelled should show up at the lowest price that is theoretically possible, had all the booking classes been wide open.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.