Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by skyhighlander
I don’t know about that. I was still Platinum when I first contacted them back in March, now I’m Gold, and still nothing. And I mean - nothing. No money, no voucher, no option to change flights, no response other than - “due to high volume... it will take multiple weeks... to...do... whatever we feel like doing... once those multiple weeks pass...”
I have been lucky.i guess. One thing you can do is file a formal complaint. They do respond to those. Or they did...
All of this “it’s going to take weeks, months” is basically shifting the burden- once again- back on the customer. They have their state assistance AND they have the vast majority of the funds sitting in the form of vouchers- much of which will never be used and turn into pure profit. It’s totally outrageous.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I have been lucky.i guess. One thing you can do is file a formal complaint. They do respond to those. Or they did...
All of this “it’s going to take weeks, months” is basically shifting the burden- once again- back on the customer. They have their state assistance AND they have the vast majority of the funds sitting in the form of vouchers- much of which will never be used and turn into pure profit. It’s totally outrageous.
Well... since I gave up on ever seeing my voucher/money some time ago... I decided that today was the day and I finally managed to get hold of them on the phone. Just over an hour wait on the U.K. so called gold “premium line” or something in line of this.

I rebooked my flight to mid August... got the e-ticket e-mailed just fine... and now when trying to access the booking on my FB account I get the message that the booking is no longer valid... because I “have requested a refund”.... and this “can take multiple weeks... etc... etc...”

Hah! I officially give up...

Is the booking valid? I don’t know. Am I still getting a voucher? I don’t know. Am I getting money? I highly doubt it. If they don’t cancel and the flight in the meantime... am I gonna turn up at the airport and expect to fly? Yes!
bostontraveler and Alfredbali like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:11 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
called today to cancel a flight for this summer and got through in 2mn, no status whatsoever anymore.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Note: KLM has withdrawn the separate policies for China, South-Korea, Israel and the US, screwing over some customers. E.g. for China and South Korea, also voluntary cancellations were eligible for a full refund for flights until 31 August.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by yno
called today to cancel a flight for this summer and got through in 2mn, no status whatsoever anymore.
there is some hopes 😄
May I ask what number you called ? Thank you
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by CGRA
there is some hopes 😄
800-channelspirit
Old Jun 19, 2020, 2:25 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by CGRA
there is some hopes 😄
the dutch KLM number, +31 20 4 747 747
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: FB Gold, Sixt Gold
Received the email today from Air France confirming the refund to my Credit Card which should happen in the next few days. So 2 days flash to bang. If course, these paths are never completely smooth as they have refunded in GBP to a EUR card with the original payment in EUR. I sent them a message on FB messenger, as with conversion rates / fees etc ( theirs and the CC) I will likely be a couple of hundred EUR down. They have replied (within 5 minutes) that the GBP payment was their error and to inform them how much I'm short when the payment goes in, they will make up any shortfall. Overall I'm pleased how quick and (relatively) painless its been, thumbs up to AF for their efforts overall.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by af fp
Has anyone been in the following situation: after a long back and forth with AF, they finally agreed to refund two of my tickets (I told them that I would have taken vouchers but whatever, their decision), but in order to refund me they made two reimbursement requests, each of them confirmed by a 12-digit id (the first 8 digits are the request date and then 4 more digits). They said that the refund would take "a few weeks", and they did not tell me exactly how much would be refunded.

I have now been waiting for two weeks and no refund is showing on my card. What would you do next? Call again? Write again? Go to the credit card company (AmEx)? Go to the Department of Transportation (I live in the USA)? Thanks for your help. Overall It has been about 6 weeks since I started asking for my money back: first a refund request, then a claim, then calls... it is a lot of work. And I have to say they have done everything they can to delay the process.
An update on the above: I got two e-mails today, one for each reimbursement request, from the US Refunds Department, telling me the money should be refunded to my card within two weeks. So in total it would have been ten weeks. Let's see...
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Note: KLM has withdrawn the separate policies for China, South-Korea, Israel and the US, screwing over some customers. E.g. for China and South Korea, also voluntary cancellations were eligible for a full refund for flights until 31 August.
So is KL just not going to refund impacted pax to/from the US?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
So is KL just not going to refund impacted pax to/from the US?
They are covered equally under the global policy. But, the China/South Korea policy was more generous than the global one.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
They are covered equally under the global policy. But, the China/South Korea policy was more generous than the global one.
I'm trying to find the link/tab for the global exception policy that previously existed for flights to/from the US. I only see an exception policy for Colombia.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:24 am

Anyone with an update on the vouchers refund process? It’s been 10 days and we still know nothing...
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:48 am

Do award tickets purchased now come with any kind of free cancellation?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Benjh
Anyone with an update on the vouchers refund process? It’s been 10 days and we still know nothing...
It takes a couple months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.