Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
I had 4 bookings waiting to be refunding by KLM. Flights cancelled in March/April. KLM had agreed to refund. In late May I gave up waiting and did a CC chargeback, money has been back on the card for over three cycles.

Today I get an email from KLM to say that one of my tickets was exchanged and so they cannot credit it, yes you dolts, you did it as you kept bloody cancelling my kids flights home and changing her tickets and not just the flights. Anyway, am amused that KLM does not seem aware of the info that must be contained in their files. Bizarre.

Has this happened to anyone else? I am inclined to ignore.

I got the same email this morning. Ive been waiting since May 1st.

I called and was on hold for 30min and got disconnected.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by canadavid
you can if you book by phone.
Thanks.

I understand that they issue a voucher to each passenger, but I don't understand why they'd issue separate vouchers for luggage and seat allocation.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Question:
If I asked for a refund about 3 weeks ago, and got an emailed confirmation that the reservation was cancelled and I had asked for a refund....promising the refund in 60 to 90 days....
Then, last night I got an email confirming that "$12xx.00 will be refunded back to your card"-- does that mean it's imminent, or still subject to the long wait?
Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Question:
If I asked for a refund about 3 weeks ago, and got an emailed confirmation that the reservation was cancelled and I had asked for a refund....promising the refund in 60 to 90 days....
Then, last night I got an email confirming that "$12xx.00 will be refunded back to your card"-- does that mean it's imminent, or still subject to the long wait?
Thanks in advance!
I tweeted on Thursday for two cancelled flights-- full refund to my French Amex today.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Question:
Thanks in advance!
When I received that email my credit card was credited with the refund in less than 24 hours
Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by Rambol
When I received that email my credit card was credited with the refund in less than 24 hours
Me too! I applied for the refund on July 23rd, and got it back on August 12th (20 days)-- from "KLM Washington" -- so if you have a US$ ticket you should be getting the refund surprisingly quickly. Not sure if refunds are done by each station or all done in AMS but I'm very happy with this.
Now, still waiting (over 80 days) for my Virgin Atlantic refund.... initiated a chargeback because it doesn't feel like anything is coming.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:54 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
If the vouchers are issued per passenger, how is the booking surcharge distributed for the voucher value in multi-pax reservations?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by skyhighlander
Well... since I gave up on ever seeing my voucher/money some time ago... I decided that today was the day and I finally managed to get hold of them on the phone. Just over an hour wait on the U.K. so called gold “premium line” or something in line of this.

I rebooked my flight to mid August... got the e-ticket e-mailed just fine... and now when trying to access the booking on my FB account I get the message that the booking is no longer valid... because I “have requested a refund”.... and this “can take multiple weeks... etc... etc...”

Hah! I officially give up...

Is the booking valid? I don’t know. Am I still getting a voucher? I don’t know. Am I getting money? I highly doubt it. If they don’t cancel and the flight in the meantime... am I gonna turn up at the airport and expect to fly? Yes!
To follow up on this... I phoned KLM last week as I was still getting mixed messages from them (“Booking cancelled”/“Get ready for your trip to...”). I was waiting forever, hung up, phoned again, agent picked up almost immediately.

She couldn’t figure out what the actual status of my booking was...so she asked me what I wanted to do. I already planned to reschedule it to late September and since UK quarantine rules now include transfers in the Netherlands and France...I decided to ask for a refund and move all trips to BA for the foreseeable future, therefore limiting the risk of sudden Covid rule changea from 3 countries to 2...

The request was accepted, but the clock was restarted... so now, unless they surprise me, another 90 days before I call them again.....

In the meantime, I hope situation will improve enough to allow me to return to SkyTeam at some point next summer...
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Just to share information here : I had a weekend booked in London at the end of the month and, obviously, it's now a no go with the quarantine announced last week . As the flights are not (yet ?) cancelled, I could not get a refund or a voucher. I didn't want to change the date as I don't know when all this madness will be over. So I asked if I could just change the destination and it was accepted without question. Of course I had to pay the fare difference.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
It is also possible to change online on the KLM Website ( you can change destination there) , on the AF website it seems you can only change date;
Of course Plat line can do it also; This morning I have to change a flight destination and strangely they cannot get the same price as I get on the Af Website ( the klm website has got higher price for unknown reason, they cannot access the same fare) . So the solution was that I booked myself as a new flight but I didn"t proceed to payment, the I gave the PNR to the very nice agent who then transfers the e ticket from my previous booking to the new booking ( only have to pay the price difference);
I agree with you that the new 'rules' on Covid in the different countries make travel a planning headache,
Wil973 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: IB Platinum *A Gold
Just had a flight cancelled. Thinking of potentially taking a voucher instead of rebooking or asking for cash. What currency would it be issued in? The fares were paid in BRL (awful currency that has since dropped by 15%) but the ticket lists a fare in USD. Any insight? TIA
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:22 am
Suspended

I had a flight booked on an AF voucher in March. Was cancelled by AF. I accepted a voucher.

In late June, I used that voucher to book FRA-AMS-HEL // HEL-AMS-FRA, all op. by KL.

The outbound is to take place on Sep 1. But I won't be allowed into Finland as they've just tightened entry restrictions for pax originating from Germany.

I'd like to ask you guys: What are my options (if any)? As I don't have FB status (ST E+, though), I'd like to know if there's any chance to have this rebooked before getting in touch with the call center...

EDIT: The new booking is Eco Light, low booking class. The ideal solution for me would be a change of destination airport.

Last edited by flyertalker28120; Aug 21, 2020 at 7:29 am
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:27 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Rebooking is for free. you just need to find a flight where the same booking class is available or pay the fare difference.
flyertalker28120 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gkl
Rebooking is for free. you just need to find a flight where the same booking class is available or pay the fare difference.
Thanks!

Follow-up question: Are airport changes allowed as well?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:34 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by funkydrummer
Thanks!

Follow-up question: Are airport changes allowed as well?
yes, if you are willing to pay a fare difference.
At least that is my experience with the platinum hotline when rerouting a TXL-flight to BUD, it cost me something like 25 EUR....
flyertalker28120 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.