Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Need some advice :
I have a mini RTW next year which return is AKL-HNL (NZ J seat)- stop 2 days - IAD (UA J flat bed) -YUL
Now there is some availability around the same day for BNE-TPE-YYZ (BR J) - YUL
If I change it means I won't have a 2 days stop in HNL but 14h layout in TPE.
pros : better product, no stop (so I can add a stop in IST on the outbound), visit of TPE
cons : no stop in HNL (but it was just 2 days in March, maybe I can go another time), have to pay AKL-BNE out of my pocket.

What would you do, change or not change ?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Need some advice :
I have a mini RTW next year which return is AKL-HNL (NZ J seat)- stop 2 days - IAD (UA J flat bed) -YUL
Now there is some availability around the same day for BNE-TPE-YYZ (BR J) - YUL
If I change it means I won't have a 2 days stop in HNL but 14h layout in TPE.
pros : better product, no stop (so I can add a stop in IST on the outbound), visit of TPE
cons : no stop in HNL (but it was just 2 days in March, maybe I can go another time), have to pay AKL-BNE out of my pocket.

What would you do, change or not change ?
IMHO, I'd not change. It'll cost $90 plus probably higher taxes. Plus AKL-BNE. Plus giving up Hawaii in March when it's likely to be -400 degrees in YUL. For what, some Dom? Spend AKL-BNE money on a bottle of Dom
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Wait ... why don't you try adding the open jaw anyway? I'm trying to remember if they have ever explicitly enforced the "either two stops or stop and open jaw" rule and I can't remember it being the case one way or another. Worth a call or two maybe?
They do enforce this rule quite consistently IME. I tried innocently squeezing in an extra stopover on my F award to Australia twice and it wasn't allowed once the agent saw I have an open-jaw.

The 10 segment rule though, is pretty much out.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by tng11
They do enforce this rule quite consistently IME. I tried innocently squeezing in an extra stopover on my F award to Australia twice and it wasn't allowed once the agent saw I have an open-jaw.

The 10 segment rule though, is pretty much out.
Ah, my bad. Thought they didn't much care, never mind that, then.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC, UA, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG, Hyatt
I have question about MPM calculation on a multi-carrier itinerary.

Let's say i want to book the following:
YVR-SFO-LHR UA
LHR-FCO LH
FCO-BKK TG

If I go to ExpertFlyer to look up the MPM for UA for YVR-BKK they list only the MPM via the Pacific. If I look up YVR-BKK for AC or TG or LH, they list MPM for both the Pacific routing and an Atlantic routing, and the itinerary fits fine.

So what determines the MPM - the ticketing carrier, the first carrier, the carrier with the longest leg?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by quickcanuck
So what determines the MPM - the ticketing carrier, the first carrier, the carrier with the longest leg?
I thought it was mentioned they use a generic MPM5 - ie. do not input any airline into KVS
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I thought it was mentioned they use a generic MPM5 - ie. do not input any airline into KVS
In that case, could you ask to use a carrier specific MPM if it was to your advantage?

For example, if I want to book YVR-LAX-LHR-FCO it's over the generic MPM5 of 7056, but if I look at the UA fare info it tells me that bookings from YVR-FCO through the US are allowed an extra 850 miles, which would be enough to make that routing valid.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:34 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

In that case, could you ask to use a carrier specific MPM if it was to your advantage?

For example, if I want to book YVR-LAX-LHR-FCO it's over the generic MPM5 of 7056, but if I look at the UA fare info it tells me that bookings from YVR-FCO through the US are allowed an extra 850 miles, which would be enough to make that routing valid.
UA Fares on that route are routing (and not MPM-based) -- there does not appear to be any extra allowances for routing via LAX, so your proposed routing requires MPM+15%:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.5 - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: YVR-LAX-LHR-FCO/UA]
Code:

CTY   DC   TPM   CUM   MPM  DC SUR  HGL   LWL   25M  XTRA       
YVR 1                                                           
LAX 1 WH  1081  1081                                            
LON 2 AT  5454  6535  5659  AT 20M   255    28  7073     0      
ROM 2 EH   894  7429  6720  AT 15M   299    37  8400     0
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:57 pm

Here's what ExpertFlyer shows:

Code:
PUBLISHED RTG YVR-ROM/UA      EF-04SEP13 DIS-INDEF

/VIA THE ATLANTIC/ MPM 6720
MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES BETWEEN ORIGIN AND DESTINATION
 MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES ORIGIN TO DESTINATION
       TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 400 MILES APPLIES
       WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA YMQ/YOW/YTO
       TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 850 MILES APPLIES
       WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA UNITED STATES
       TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 400 MILES APPLIES
       WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA YTO AND/OR YOW AND/OR YMQ AND/OR 
       YHZ AND/OR YYT
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:01 pm

I have question about MPM calculation on a multi-carrier itinerary.

Let's say i want to book the following:
YVR-SFO-LHR UA
LHR-FCO LH
FCO-BKK TG

If I go to ExpertFlyer to look up the MPM for UA for YVR-BKK they list only the MPM via the Pacific. If I look up YVR-BKK for AC or TG or LH, they list MPM for both the Pacific routing and an Atlantic routing, and the itinerary fits fine.

I also understood it to be generic MPM5 - which just happens to be what AC uses - so TATL in your case to BKK = 13983 So you'd be within that I would imagine. Call in and ask and let us know...
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
There is always the overnight train lol

I actually liked it.. good sleep
I am considering that too! Supposed to be great scenery in the morning.

I looked into it a bit yesterday and I think it's about 7:30pm which sounds safe. I couldn't figure out the sleeper options/costs. But I did read I'm way too far out to buy it now anyway so I'll look at that later if I can't find another option. I don't like the fact that I'd have my big suitcase since it will be the start of about a 6 week trip. I'm not sure if I have to check that or if it's stays with me.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:46 pm

YYZ-SIN

Hi, very new to this. Looking to redeem my first Aeroplan flight.

I will be doing a YYZ-SIN trip in January. Thinking of doing one openjaw in Europe. When I tried to book a YYZ-LHR-openjaw-CDG-SIN-YYZ on Aeroplan.com, it does not seem like a valid itinerary.

What seems to be the issue here?

Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyCsG

I will be doing a YYZ-SIN trip in January. Thinking of doing one openjaw in Europe. When I tried to book a YYZ-LHR-openjaw-CDG-SIN-YYZ on Aeroplan.com, it does not seem like a valid itinerary.

Thanks!
You can't do it online. You need to piece it together and call in and pay for the privilege.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyCsG

Thanks!
Originally Posted by sp4294
You can't do it online. You need to piece it together and call in and pay for the privilege.
Nope nope nope nope. You CANNOT do an open jaw in the middle of an itinerary. It must be either at the beginning or at the end of the trip. Sorry - I wanted to do EXACTLY that, and they very, very diligently deny it
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Nope nope nope nope. You CANNOT do an open jaw in the middle of an itinerary. It must be either at the beginning or at the end of the trip. Sorry - I wanted to do EXACTLY that, and they very, very diligently deny it
I am not sure how much earlier I can move the openjaw section up :\ LHR is the first stop

Originally Posted by sp4294
So the multi-city option on the website does not work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.