Mini RTW Questions

Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:31 pm
  #1576  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,930
Originally Posted by tng11
I've read around that if the change is made after travel has started, YQ is not recalculated? Does that still hold true?

LH F for FRA-YYZ would open up only after I've started travel - and the YQ difference between Y/F is $200+ so it'd be nice to save that
This is true. After travel starts, you can make changes for $90 and not incur taxes / YQ / etc.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:51 pm
  #1577  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Posts: 23,387
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
This is true. After travel starts, you can make changes for $90 and not incur taxes / YQ / etc.
Exactly why my next trip's return from Asia is getting initially booked in CA/UA F

Gotta get on that before the chart gets 'enhanced' in 3.5 months.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:49 pm
  #1578  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 668
Originally Posted by tng11
I've read around that if the change is made after travel has started, YQ is not recalculated? Does that still hold true?
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
This is true. After travel starts, you can make changes for $90 and not incur taxes / YQ / etc.
So, for example, I could give AE a call after I began my trip and while I'm at my first stop tell them I want to change my routing to my destination and for my return flight as well, is that it?
erik19283 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:12 pm
  #1579  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YEG
Posts: 3,717
Ok so lets say one will not execute the Mini RTW; but instead go for a longer path; I imagine going TATL on both legs is allowed?


If so; what options would I have to complete this;

YOW-YUL-ZRH(S)-SIN-MEL(D)-ASIA(S)-EUROPE-YOW

Does anyone think that something such as

MEL-AKL(lol)-NRT-IST(?)-YYZ-YOW would work?

Other ideas?

What is the MPM5 for yow-mel?

How much (if any) backtracking is allowed?

Is it absolutely imperative to connect via SIN on the return as well for it to be a published routing?
Putting this back out there for those experts with opinions.

2 Seats in this before the next round of degradation to the program that are due in Dec; and that should just about make my account empty!
hearna is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:17 pm
  #1580  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: YYZ
Posts: 1,669
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Exactly why my next trip's return from Asia is getting initially booked in CA/UA F

Gotta get on that before the chart gets 'enhanced' in 3.5 months.
I've heard CA F has a decent hard product, but in general aren't both products a cut below the YQ-applicable NH, OZ and LH? I'd probably rather go with J on LX/BR/SQ/SN if hard product is the real concern, saving some miles if YQ is priority #1.

YQ does suck - but considering the value I'm getting from trying these bonafide F products (I've priced NH F round trips at $20K), I'll still grudgingly pay the few hundred in YQ.

Besides, I'm hoping there'll be a class action one day where I'll be able to recover the $2K I've paid in YQ on these two trips.
tng11 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:57 pm
  #1581  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,187
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
This is true. After travel starts, you can make changes for $90 and not incur taxes / YQ / etc.
Yes, this is done quite frequently I suspect. I did last year when my wife and I needed to get back to the west coast from Europe a few days early and found direct LH F availbility on short notice, rather than huffing it through YYZ.
sp4294 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:02 pm
  #1582  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,187
Originally Posted by tng11
I've heard CA F has a decent hard product, but in general aren't both products a cut below the YQ-applicable NH, OZ and LH? I'd probably rather go with J on LX/BR/SQ/SN if hard product is the real concern, saving some miles if YQ is priority #1.

YQ does suck - but considering the value I'm getting from trying these bonafide F products (I've priced NH F round trips at $20K), I'll still grudgingly pay the few hundred in YQ.

Besides, I'm hoping there'll be a class action one day where I'll be able to recover the $2K I've paid in YQ on these two trips.
Me thinks he's going to switch out those flights and UA or CA won't be part of the discussion

CA is pretty good in F out of LAX to PEK, but beware of J from elsewhere ie: YVR - not so much.
sp4294 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:28 pm
  #1583  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,187
Originally Posted by hearna
Putting this back out there for those experts with opinions.

2 Seats in this before the next round of degradation to the program that are due in Dec; and that should just about make my account empty!
MPM5 YUL-MEL is 13130 TPAC, nothing for TATL

I suspect if you go via AKL you will have trouble. SQ might be hard to find seats with. Consider TG via BKK and then C2 and home with the usual suspects. TK would be preferable for YQ.

In all cases going back from MEL/SYD etc will be much easier.
sp4294 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:51 am
  #1584  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,930
Originally Posted by erik19283
So, for example, I could give AE a call after I began my trip and while I'm at my first stop tell them I want to change my routing to my destination and for my return flight as well, is that it?
Yep, that is correct

Originally Posted by tng11
I've heard CA F has a decent hard product, but in general aren't both products a cut below the YQ-applicable NH, OZ and LH? I'd probably rather go with J on LX/BR/SQ/SN if hard product is the real concern, saving some miles if YQ is priority #1.

YQ does suck - but considering the value I'm getting from trying these bonafide F products (I've priced NH F round trips at $20K), I'll still grudgingly pay the few hundred in YQ.

Besides, I'm hoping there'll be a class action one day where I'll be able to recover the $2K I've paid in YQ on these two trips.
Originally Posted by sp4294
Me thinks he's going to switch out those flights and UA or CA won't be part of the discussion

CA is pretty good in F out of LAX to PEK, but beware of J from elsewhere ie: YVR - not so much.
Exactly what sp4294 says Book YQless bad product (who in their right mind would fly UA F unless absolutely required?), fly segment 1 and madly dash to http://flisea.com to look for subsequent alternatives
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:59 am
  #1585  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YEG
Posts: 3,717
Originally Posted by sp4294
MPM5 YUL-MEL is 13130 TPAC, nothing for TATL

I suspect if you go via AKL you will have trouble. SQ might be hard to find seats with. Consider TG via BKK and then C2 and home with the usual suspects. TK would be preferable for YQ.

In all cases going back from MEL/SYD etc will be much easier.
woah wait a sec...

Someone upstream made reference to MPM for YOW-MEL and not YUL.

Does YOW-MEL not have a TATL MPM? If not; what are the available published routes? How would this differ if say our origin was NYC?
hearna is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:10 am
  #1586  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the air
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,930
Originally Posted by hearna
woah wait a sec...

Someone upstream made reference to MPM for YOW-MEL and not YUL.

Does YOW-MEL not have a TATL MPM? If not; what are the available published routes? How would this differ if say our origin was NYC?
None of YUL, YOW, NYC has a TATL MPM published. Only published routings, it would appear.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:12 am
  #1587  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: YYZ
Posts: 1,669
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Exactly what sp4294 says Book YQless bad product (who in their right mind would fly UA F unless absolutely required?), fly segment 1 and madly dash to http://flisea.com to look for subsequent alternatives
D'oh! And to think I was horrified at the idea people are willingly burning their F awards on UA.

Waiting to change until after travel starts is a cutting it a little too close for me. I can see such a strategy working for LH and TG, but not NH or OZ (good luck finding the latter two last minute.)
tng11 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:30 am
  #1588  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YEG
Posts: 3,717
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
None of YUL, YOW, NYC has a TATL MPM published. Only published routings, it would appear.
Does any City in the North East (US or CAN)?

If not how would one go abound finding these 'valid' routes, to of course 'maximize' the experience
hearna is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:39 pm
  #1589  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Posts: 23,387
Originally Posted by tng11
I've heard CA F has a decent hard product, but in general aren't both products a cut below the YQ-applicable NH, OZ and LH? I'd probably rather go with J on LX/BR/SQ/SN if hard product is the real concern, saving some miles if YQ is priority #1.

YQ does suck - but considering the value I'm getting from trying these bonafide F products (I've priced NH F round trips at $20K), I'll still grudgingly pay the few hundred in YQ.

Besides, I'm hoping there'll be a class action one day where I'll be able to recover the $2K I've paid in YQ on these two trips.
I did not find CA F to be enough below NH F/TG F to justify a $400+ upcharge. The seat/suite is almost exactly like new LX F. Food very decent, IFE comparable to NH.

Cant compare to OZ F as never flown them in F.

LH F is probably the only one I'd consider a scamcharge on over CA F.

UA F is just a poor man's F - basically a TATL placeholder until LH F opens up, after travel has begun pay the $102 change fee to avoid scamcharges.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:50 pm
  #1590  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: YYZ
Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Posts: 1,674
Originally Posted by hearna
Does any City in the North East (US or CAN)?

If not how would one go abound finding these 'valid' routes, to of course 'maximize' the experience
You can do some searches on the AE website or flisea.com on random dates and see what you come up with. Since you're SE you will get lots more results on AE if you use the priority search. You can also look at the thread that lists other mini-RTW that others have booked to get some ideas. The results I posted above all came from one search where I picked a depart and return travel date about 10 months out. If you're not sure if what you put together is valid, try and book it. (You may want to try a few times because you never know what kind of reaction you will get on the other end of the line!)
allbrosca is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.