Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by tng11
I've read around that if the change is made after travel has started, YQ is not recalculated? Does that still hold true?

LH F for FRA-YYZ would open up only after I've started travel - and the YQ difference between Y/F is $200+ so it'd be nice to save that
This is true. After travel starts, you can make changes for $90 and not incur taxes / YQ / etc.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
This is true. After travel starts, you can make changes for $90 and not incur taxes / YQ / etc.
Exactly why my next trip's return from Asia is getting initially booked in CA/UA F

Gotta get on that before the chart gets 'enhanced' in 3.5 months.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:49 pm

I've read around that if the change is made after travel has started, YQ is not recalculated? Does that still hold true?
So, for example, I could give AE a call after I began my trip and while I'm at my first stop tell them I want to change my routing to my destination and for my return flight as well, is that it?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:12 pm

Ok so lets say one will not execute the Mini RTW; but instead go for a longer path; I imagine going TATL on both legs is allowed?

If so; what options would I have to complete this;

YOW-YUL-ZRH(S)-SIN-MEL(D)-ASIA(S)-EUROPE-YOW

Does anyone think that something such as

MEL-AKL(lol)-NRT-IST(?)-YYZ-YOW would work?

Other ideas?

What is the MPM5 for yow-mel?

How much (if any) backtracking is allowed?

Is it absolutely imperative to connect via SIN on the return as well for it to be a published routing?
Putting this back out there for those experts with opinions.

2 Seats in this before the next round of degradation to the program that are due in Dec; and that should just about make my account empty!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Exactly why my next trip's return from Asia is getting initially booked in CA/UA F

Gotta get on that before the chart gets 'enhanced' in 3.5 months.
I've heard CA F has a decent hard product, but in general aren't both products a cut below the YQ-applicable NH, OZ and LH? I'd probably rather go with J on LX/BR/SQ/SN if hard product is the real concern, saving some miles if YQ is priority #1.

YQ does suck - but considering the value I'm getting from trying these bonafide F products (I've priced NH F round trips at $20K), I'll still grudgingly pay the few hundred in YQ.

Besides, I'm hoping there'll be a class action one day where I'll be able to recover the $2K I've paid in YQ on these two trips.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:57 pm

Yes, this is done quite frequently I suspect. I did last year when my wife and I needed to get back to the west coast from Europe a few days early and found direct LH F availbility on short notice, rather than huffing it through YYZ.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:02 pm

I've heard CA F has a decent hard product, but in general aren't both products a cut below the YQ-applicable NH, OZ and LH? I'd probably rather go with J on LX/BR/SQ/SN if hard product is the real concern, saving some miles if YQ is priority #1.

YQ does suck - but considering the value I'm getting from trying these bonafide F products (I've priced NH F round trips at $20K), I'll still grudgingly pay the few hundred in YQ.

Besides, I'm hoping there'll be a class action one day where I'll be able to recover the $2K I've paid in YQ on these two trips.
Me thinks he's going to switch out those flights and UA or CA won't be part of the discussion

CA is pretty good in F out of LAX to PEK, but beware of J from elsewhere ie: YVR - not so much.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
Putting this back out there for those experts with opinions.

2 Seats in this before the next round of degradation to the program that are due in Dec; and that should just about make my account empty!
MPM5 YUL-MEL is 13130 TPAC, nothing for TATL

I suspect if you go via AKL you will have trouble. SQ might be hard to find seats with. Consider TG via BKK and then C2 and home with the usual suspects. TK would be preferable for YQ.

In all cases going back from MEL/SYD etc will be much easier.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by erik19283
So, for example, I could give AE a call after I began my trip and while I'm at my first stop tell them I want to change my routing to my destination and for my return flight as well, is that it?
Yep, that is correct

Originally Posted by sp4294
Me thinks he's going to switch out those flights and UA or CA won't be part of the discussion

CA is pretty good in F out of LAX to PEK, but beware of J from elsewhere ie: YVR - not so much.
Exactly what sp4294 says Book YQless bad product (who in their right mind would fly UA F unless absolutely required?), fly segment 1 and madly dash to http://flisea.com to look for subsequent alternatives
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by sp4294
MPM5 YUL-MEL is 13130 TPAC, nothing for TATL

I suspect if you go via AKL you will have trouble. SQ might be hard to find seats with. Consider TG via BKK and then C2 and home with the usual suspects. TK would be preferable for YQ.

In all cases going back from MEL/SYD etc will be much easier.
woah wait a sec...

Someone upstream made reference to MPM for YOW-MEL and not YUL.

Does YOW-MEL not have a TATL MPM? If not; what are the available published routes? How would this differ if say our origin was NYC?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:10 am

woah wait a sec...

Someone upstream made reference to MPM for YOW-MEL and not YUL.

Does YOW-MEL not have a TATL MPM? If not; what are the available published routes? How would this differ if say our origin was NYC?
None of YUL, YOW, NYC has a TATL MPM published. Only published routings, it would appear.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:12 am

Exactly what sp4294 says Book YQless bad product (who in their right mind would fly UA F unless absolutely required?), fly segment 1 and madly dash to http://flisea.com to look for subsequent alternatives
D'oh! And to think I was horrified at the idea people are willingly burning their F awards on UA.

Waiting to change until after travel starts is a cutting it a little too close for me. I can see such a strategy working for LH and TG, but not NH or OZ (good luck finding the latter two last minute.)
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:30 am

None of YUL, YOW, NYC has a TATL MPM published. Only published routings, it would appear.
Does any City in the North East (US or CAN)?

If not how would one go abound finding these 'valid' routes, to of course 'maximize' the experience
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

I did not find CA F to be enough below NH F/TG F to justify a $400+ upcharge. The seat/suite is almost exactly like new LX F. Food very decent, IFE comparable to NH.

Cant compare to OZ F as never flown them in F.

LH F is probably the only one I'd consider a scamcharge on over CA F.

UA F is just a poor man's F - basically a TATL placeholder until LH F opens up, after travel has begun pay the $102 change fee to avoid scamcharges.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Does any City in the North East (US or CAN)?

If not how would one go abound finding these 'valid' routes, to of course 'maximize' the experience
You can do some searches on the AE website or flisea.com on random dates and see what you come up with. Since you're SE you will get lots more results on AE if you use the priority search. You can also look at the thread that lists other mini-RTW that others have booked to get some ideas. The results I posted above all came from one search where I picked a depart and return travel date about 10 months out. If you're not sure if what you put together is valid, try and book it. (You may want to try a few times because you never know what kind of reaction you will get on the other end of the line!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.