Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Originally Posted by tbuff
Need some advice here:

Looking at a European vacation next year in J, with a few stops.

I'm making the following assumptions, but need some help:

1) I want to go YWG-ORD-Europe 1 (stop)-Europe 1(stop) - maybe an open jaw then ORD-YWG on UA. Is this possible? On 90k per ticket, is that correct?

2) If I do a one way, there are no stopovers, also correct?

Any suggestions on routings ex ORD on UA? Can't find a good list of where they fly direct. Been to Switzerland so not interested in LX, not really feeling scandanavia either (SAS).
I believe your options with United from ORD are:
MUC, FRA, AMS, CDG, and LHR
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by lowside67
I believe your options with United from ORD are:
MUC, FRA, AMS, CDG, and LHR
Thanks.

So what is doable then? YWG-ORD-AMS (stop)-somewhere (stop)-AMS-ORD-YWG? Is that possible?

If I do open jaw, how many stops?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:49 am

You get 2 stops plus a final destination on any international reward. If you choose, you can replace one of those stops with an open-jaw that either begins or ends at the destination. If that's the case you fly:
Home - City 1
City 2 (Destination) - City 3
City 3 - Home

Without an open jaw, it would look like:
Home - City 1
City 1 - City 2 (Destination)
City 2 - City 3
City 3 - Home

Mark
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by lowside67
You get 2 stops plus a final destination on any international reward. If you choose, you can replace one of those stops with an open-jaw that either begins or ends at the destination. If that's the case you fly:
Home - City 1
City 2 (Destination) - City 3
City 3 - Home

Without an open jaw, it would look like:
Home - City 1
City 1 - City 2 (Destination)
City 2 - City 3
City 3 - Home

Mark
For example, is

YWG-ORD-AMS (stop)-PRG(stop)-FCO (dest)
FCO-CDG-ORD-YWG

doable?>
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:56 pm

Maximum mileage for YWG-FCO is 6,587 miles.

Both YWG-ORD-AMS-PRG-FCO and FCO-CDG-ORD-YWG are under this figure so that should be fine.

Mark
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:01 pm

yes, pretty easily too

you even have enough mileage to connect through lot and Warsaw on the dream liner. some fuel surcharge but much less compared to Lufthansa or air Canada

Winnipeg to Chicago to Warsaw to Prague stop to Zurich to Rome on the way there, and Rome to Zurich to Amsterdam stop to Chicago to Winnipeg on the way back is mpm 5 on the way there and mpm 0 on the way back, while avoiding surcharges except lot
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:46 am

Anyone know how intra-europe scamcharges are calculated? I know to expect ~$1k pp for business class scamcharges on the trans-atlantic legs. Roughly what can I expect for scamcharges on 6ish lufthansa legs if I have to book them? I'm going to try and book LX legs intra-europe if I can but LH is the big player, and thus the ones with all the space...
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:15 pm

What is the maximum number of segments (NA-Asia2) allowed?

I have seen mention of 10 in this thread. I currently have a miniRTW booked for next Jan with 11 segments right now, and I was thinking of changing a couple flights for better seats/less scamcharges but it would increase the segment count by 2...

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by monkai

I have seen mention of 10 in this thread. I currently have a miniRTW booked for next Jan with 11 segments right now, and I was thinking of changing a couple flights for better seats/less scamcharges but it would increase the segment count by 2...

Thanks!
Definitely more than 10. I think I had 12 or 13 at one point. You should be OK, I think.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by monkai

Thanks!
Officially, it's 10 segments. However, most agents seem to no longer enforce that limit.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Sorry I know this has been asked before, but how do you find a published fare for say YYZ-SYD?

When I search it on KVS I only get routings via Asia, however by the sounds of things people have done it via Europe. Is there a specific airline that I should be selecting to go via Europe?

thanks
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by shore9
Sorry I know this has been asked before, but how do you find a published fare for say YYZ-SYD?

When I search it on KVS I only get routings via Asia, however by the sounds of things people have done it via Europe. Is there a specific airline that I should be selecting to go via Europe?

thanks
It has been reported that pretty much anything going via SIN qualifies as legal. Not sure why.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by echino
It has been reported that pretty much anything going via SIN qualifies as legal. Not sure why.
BKK as well. The MPM is something insane, I think 20000?

First time I've heard that you can do more than 10 segments! Now I'm tempted to change to the following:

YYZ-YUL-MUC-DME-FRA-DEL-SIN-BKK-SYD and gain SQ F

Or

YYZ-YUL-MUC-DME-FRA-NRT-BKK-SYD
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by tng11
BKK as well. The MPM is something insane, I think 20000?

First time I've heard that you can do more than 10 segments! Now I'm tempted to change to the following:

YYZ-YUL-MUC-DME-FRA-DEL-SIN-BKK-SYD and gain SQ F

Or

YYZ-YUL-MUC-DME-FRA-NRT-BKK-SYD
How are you gaining SQ F? What segment?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by sp4294
How are you gaining SQ F? What segment?
DEL-SIN would appear to be the only SQ F flight available to *A.

(Theoretically, *A has access to non-77W SQ F, but I have never seen a single seat available on any other route than to/from DEL)

Last edited by tng11; Sep 13, 2013 at 1:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.